Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 10-12-2011, 05:22 PM   #1
Streaks

Does Monitor affect Video Card performance?

I have an nVIDIA GTX 295 vcard running with a ViewSonic VA712. Does my monitor limit my vcard's actual performance? I mean, the vcard may be awesome, but the actual thing you see on-screen may or may not be the actual output of your vcard?

Am having the impression that because my monitor is old, that it is causing my vcard to perform below its actual capabilities, thus causing 3D intensive games to crash my system to black screen (the kind that you can only get out of by pressing the power button for 4secs.): You know, triple-buffering and vsync issues involved. Games that didn't crash to black screen, but are now...especially Dead Space 1.

Am thinking of getting a Samsung 23a300b. I could get it at around P9,000 (Philippine peso converted to US$ = $200), give or take. Is this monitor good for gaming?
Old 10-12-2011, 05:29 PM   #2
imeem

the only way a monitor can affect the performance of the video card is resolution and maybe refresh rate.

As for the crashing, did u check the temps? did u clean out your computer and video card for dust?

Also maybe try different drivers for video card.
imeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:13 AM   #3
Streaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by imeem View Post
the only way a monitor can affect the performance of the video card is resolution and maybe refresh rate.

As for the crashing, did u check the temps? did u clean out your computer and video card for dust?

Also maybe try different drivers for video card.
Got a new gigantor heat-sink (SUNBEAMTECH-Twister 120) for my CPU. vcard fan still working, I hurt my fingertips trying to feel the airflow, when they got scraped by the vcard fan. Was pretty strong too, like "Ouch" strong.

vcard for dust? Didn't brush the dust away but had it blown off instead.

Resolution and refresh rate; that's what I meant. It affects it, right? Like if you use/don't use vsync, and your monitor is only 75hz...

The driver option...I think I don't want to revert back to a very old driver just so I could play some games that I've finished before...I mean, I don't think that's even an option for me.

The vsync is an issue in some games because it makes the mouse lag badly if turned on. But at least your system is more stable from crashing to black screen, though it still does. If its turned off, I don't even get away to quit to windows before it crashes. So, it must be turned on. But then you have a mouse lag. So, turning Triple-Buffering on improves the mouse lag somewhat, but does not solve it completely.

I'm thinking, get a better monitor so that vsync could be better. But then I am using an LCD screen, so does it even matter?

Last edited by Streaks: 10-13-2011 at 12:20 AM.
Streaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:31 AM   #4
Traj

You shouldn't need anything above 60Hz for a refresh rate. Think of Hz as frames per second that your monitor can display. With vsync enabled it forces your vcard to synchronize with your monitors Hz, thus forcing 60 frames per second. If yoor game goes below 60 frames per second you will experience the lag you are describing in your earlier post. So, having your Hz set to 75 and enabling vsync causes even more work for your vcard to keep up, if it can. 60Hz, or frames per second, is enough. And if you have games that ever go under 60fps then turn off vsync. In my opinion, the beast vcards are not about getting the highest fps, but how high your lowest fps is. If lowest fps in a game is 58+ fps I turn on vsync to get rid of any screen tearing.

Here is a good read: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2803/5
Traj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:18 AM   #5
Streaks

Is the Samsung 23a300b good for a gaming monitor?

Samsung 23a300b vs. Samsung PX2370, of course the PX2370 is better...

...faster response time...

Any comments?
Old 10-13-2011, 05:20 AM   #6
sfade

In addition, if you are considering dabbling in the 3D fad (you know, the glasses and all that), you'd need to invest in a 120Hz monitor. Not necessarily applicable, but something to make note of.
sfade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:27 PM   #7
Streaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfade View Post
In addition, if you are considering dabbling in the 3D fad (you know, the glasses and all that), you'd need to invest in a 120Hz monitor. Not necessarily applicable, but something to make note of.
3D viewing is still a technology in progress. I do not wish to own tech that is not yet fully developed "en masse" or "for the masses".

Its price is steep, and I do not have money to blow into the wind.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems