Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Spiral Knights

Old 10-13-2011, 10:02 AM   #1
KamiKatze

Whats the best sword, shield, armor, pistol...

Hey guys. I want to know, what is the best and strongest

sword
armor
helmet
jewel
shield
gun in Spiral Knights?

please tell me ;-)
Old 10-13-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
Vlad ze Impaler

There isn't. The "best" equipment depends on the theme of the stratum you're currently playing. Even then, it can depend a lot on your playstyle.
Vlad ze Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
Wacker

Gunslinger, swordmaster & bomber guide. At least this will give you a good mix.
Wacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:57 AM   #4
Batabii

There is no "best"
Batabii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:08 PM   #5
skiddlywibble

The best weapon is the one you never have to use. However, you'll probably have to use these ones, so here's a tip when you pick: while there is no "best" item, some items and upgrades are a lot worse than others. Examples of poor choices include the Irontech bomb, any status bomb other than Shivermist Buster (and maybe Ash of Agni), and Bombastic gear.

All of what I have said is listed along with much more detail in the links Wacker gave you, so take some time to read them.
skiddlywibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:13 PM   #6
NobodyisCool

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiddlywibble View Post
The best weapon is the one you never have to use. However, you'll probably have to use these ones, so here's a tip when you pick: while there is no "best" item, some items and upgrades are a lot worse than others. Examples of poor choices include the Irontech bomb, any status bomb other than Shivermist Buster (and maybe Ash of Agni), and Bombastic gear.

All of what I have said is listed along with much more detail in the links Wacker gave you, so take some time to read them.
lies! your forgetting the shock bomb! its alot more uselfull than shiver unless you dont wont them to move at ALL
NobodyisCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:23 PM   #7
starlinvf

Essentially there is no "best" equipment, just intended situations/applications where they excel. But there are several that don't even fit well into they're own intended uses.

Bombastic is a prime example with its minor damage bonus, average defense, and no CTR. Without the charge time reduction, bombers are highly vulnerable. And then theres the Rock salt bomb... whose slime damage bonus is instantly under minded by its piercing damage type.
starlinvf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:45 AM   #8
Redshift 6

Don't listen to the naysayers. The best sword is Leviathan, the best gun is Polaris. The best armour is either skolver or vog, depending on if you want to see Firestorm Citadel or not.

And before anyone starts ranting, there is no 'best', but that set is best because it is either A: useful till endgame or B: very useful overall and then you can do everything reasonably well.

tl;dr no best set, get the one mentioned for the good bonuses and fun gameplay.
Redshift 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:22 AM   #9
Batabii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshift 6 View Post
The best sword is Leviathan
ha
ha
ha
ha
Old 10-17-2011, 05:01 AM   #10
Cyo67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batabii View Post
ha
ha
ha
ha
What, it is a damn good sword. It's useful even to the endgame. If anything, it's useful for almost any situation, as it is good against everything. I usually pair it with another sword that's effective against the current theme plus a gun. Works well for me. Plus, I just swap out the other sword should I need to when I hit basil. It's in every load-out I make, I use it that much.
Cyo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:28 AM   #11
PolarisOrbit

There is best gear for a given situation, and since there are only a limited number of difficult situations in the game, I contest the claim that there is no "best" gear.

The problem is people like to perpetuate the myth that "best" means "without any flaws whatsoever" so whenever someone suggests specifics they will be attacked even though everyone knows they are pretty much making up problems to point out situations where something else would work better.

I'll just put it this way: Green shards are the best shards.
PolarisOrbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:53 AM   #12
NobodyisCool

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarisOrbit View Post
There is best gear for a given situation, and since there are only a limited number of difficult situations in the game, I contest the claim that there is no "best" gear.

The problem is people like to perpetuate the myth that "best" means "without any flaws whatsoever" so whenever someone suggests specifics they will be attacked even though everyone knows they are pretty much making up problems to point out situations where something else would work better.

I'll just put it this way: Green shards are the best shards.
considering the price on them.. THEY ARE!
NobodyisCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:56 PM   #13
Batabii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyo67 View Post
What, it is a damn good sword. It's useful even to the endgame. If anything, it's useful for almost any situation, as it is good against everything. I usually pair it with another sword that's effective against the current theme plus a gun. Works well for me. Plus, I just swap out the other sword should I need to when I hit basil. It's in every load-out I make, I use it that much.
It's "good" against everything, but GREAT against nothing. It has no range, no special properties, no bonuses, the only defining feature is the charge attack which only really excels vs cornered or stationary enemies. It's ok if you don't know what to expect, but in the long run you're better off using weapons of every damage type.

IMO the Kozma weapons go Nitronome>Leviathan>Valiance. There's plenty of elemental, piercing, shadow, or split damage swords that are more useful than Leviathan. Personally, I prefer Faust, Barbarous Thorn Blade, and Glacius, in that order. But I don't just specialize with swords. I always have 3 weapon slots to maximize my attack effectiveness, and there's no point bringing a normal damage sword with when I can do just as much or more damage to 2/3 of the enemies, then switch weapons for the 2 types that resist it. In fact, you only really need two weapons to cover every resistance.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:07 PM   #14
starlinvf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshift 6 View Post
Don't listen to the naysayers. The best sword is Leviathan, the best gun is Polaris. The best armour is either skolver or vog, depending on if you want to see Firestorm Citadel or not.

And before anyone starts ranting, there is no 'best', but that set is best because it is either A: useful till endgame or B: very useful overall and then you can do everything reasonably well.

tl;dr no best set, get the one mentioned for the good bonuses and fun gameplay.
Your so called "Best choices" are all incidental because of Firestorm citadel. Try to take that loadout into a fiend level, and it'll eat you alive. I've seen a group of pro-FSC runners brought to its knees on a depth 19 devilish drugery (most of you will still remember it). And all because they were poorly equipped and lacked experience fighting Devilites.

And the Lev is far from being the "best sword" for anything, even if it looks perfect on paper. Its a known fact that all monsters have a slight normal damage resistance, which leads the weapons to deal less damage against all targets compared to other similar weapons. Its only redeeming qualities are its general flexibility, and style of charge attack... but there are many cases where the other properties of the weapon (low DPS) become a liability.

With the ability to carry at least 2 weapons, you'll ALWAYS find yourself bringing something that works well against an expected enemy, and a second one to go up against ones that aren't.
starlinvf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:32 PM   #15
KamiKatze

i also prefer this allrounder stuff. the ascended calibur works fine for me.
KamiKatze is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Spiral Knights