Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Psychonauts

Old 10-16-2011, 10:32 PM   #1
Rellik66

Post Achievement Guide 2.0

Since PinkCloud got banned and can't update the last guide, I am creating a new thread with all the achievements updated.

Spoilers are to be expected here, you have been warned. I don't consider everything spoiler-tag-worthy. I did give some of the more complex ones spoilers-tags however.

In addition to my experience completing the achievements, for reference, here are the two guides I also used while creating this guide:
http://db.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/psychonauts_achievement.txt
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2151879

Key:
  • PoNR = Point of No Return: This is the point where you will NOT be able to return to the camp if you progress any further. An autosave is made so Raz can backtrack if needed.
  • Activate = This is your 'use/interact' function, [F] on the keyboard, (Y) on an Xbox controller, or whatever you assigned the use key to in the bindings.
  • (!) = Important to get caught up with before the PoNR
  • (!!) = Can be missed if you aren't there at the right time
Recommended Game Saves
If you don't want to read this entire guide just yet, but want to get those achievements that can be missed with minimal backtracking, here are some specific times you should save. The rest of the achievements can be caught up with before proceeding past the PoNR.

• Save #1 Immediately after completing Sasha's Shooting Gallery
  • Save #2 Immediately after completing Milla's Dance Party
  • Save #3 Right before entering Edgar's Mind (Black Velvetopia) (or more specifically, before turning all the cards into Edgar)
  • Save #4 Right when you reach the top of the Asylum (Or more specifically, right when you get Mr. Pokeylope)
Storyline Achievements
These are guaranteed as you progress in the game
Your Last Chance to Chicken Out
Complete Basic Braining

A Victory for Good Taste
Complete Sasha’s Shooting Gallery

Rolling Rock Star
Complete Milla’s Dance Party

For Insurance Reasons
Complete Lungfishopolis

Time to Deliver the Milk
Complete The Milkman Conspiracy

You're All So Kind
Complete Gloria’s Theater

Thanks for All the Snails
Complete Waterloo World

I Always Loved You More
Complete Black Velvetopia

Height of Insanity
Complete The Asylum

I Thought That Was Unbeatable!
Complete Meat Circus

Leveling Achievements
These come as you level, supposedly the latest update fixes the bug where the achievement would get missed if you rapidly leveled up, but as a precaution, I recommend saving a few levels before hitting the requisite level.
Junior PSI Cadet
Achieve Rank 20

Regular PSI Cadet
Achieve Rank 40

Advanced PSI Cadet
Achieve Rank 60

Super PSI Cadet
Achieve Rank 80

Math is Hard (!)
Achieve Rank 101
This should be the hardest to achieve, this one requires 100% completion of the following:
Spoiler:
-Complete the punching mini-game in Basic Braining (+1)(see I LOVE PUNCHING)
-(!)Find all 117 PSI Cards found in the camp and asylum, combine 9 each with PSI cores in Agent Cruller's lab.*
-(!)Find all 9 PSI Challenge markers found in the camp and asylum (+9)
-(!)Find all 16 Scavenger Items and turn them in to Ranger Cruller 4+4=(+8)
-(!)Find all 19 brains, and turn in to Agent Cruller to re-brain the children (+19)
-Gather all 1600 points worth of Figments (Some are worth more than 1) /100=(+16)
-Crack all 19 memory vaults (+19)
-Sort all 50 emotional baggage/5=(+10)
-Find and weave all 54 mental cobwebs in Agent Cruller's lab*

*(117+54=171)/9=(+19) Any remaining cobwebs/PSI cards can be turned into the fortune teller near the start of Meat Circus

Total = +101 (and that's why it's called Math is Hard)

Make sure that you have collected everything in the camp and asylum before proceeding past the PoNR.

Pre-PoNR, you should only have 18/19 vaults, 45/50 bags, 6 PSI cards and be Rank 98 (assuming you completed the punching mini-game, 97 if not.) Meat Circus provides the 3 remaining levels. (be sure to visit the fortune teller after getting the three cobwebs.)

Any post-PoNR collectable items should be collected before exiting the Tunnel of Love in Meat Circus. If you aren't careful, you could accidentally throw yourself into the final boss battles.

Collector Achievements
Simply put, collect all the related items.
They Should Totally Sell Those
Earn all Merit Badges
Most will come as you progress in the story, and a select few you need to pick up from Agent Cruller when you hit Levels 10, 20, and 30. In fact, you can't even complete Milkman Conspiracy without being level 30 first
I'm Gonna Live Forever
Find all Golden Helmets
All but one can be retrieved at any time in the following areas:
Spoiler:

-Brain Tumbler Experiment - (after Sasha's Shooting Gallery) behind the thorny tower.
-Lungfishopolis - on top of a skyscraper after the monorail tunnel.
-The Milkman Conspiracy - You need telephone access, it's on the island accessible from the telephone pole after the road crew.
-Waterloo World - On the pink bridge near the peasant who is unarmed.
-Black Velvetopia #1 - Hang the window painting on the upper ledge at end of the of an alley near the Queen of Diamond entrance, enter the newly created window.
-Black Velvetopia #2 (!!)- THIS ONE CAN BE MISSED if you complete Black Velvetopia. Get the confusion grenade merit badge and use it to temporarily stop the bull so the dog can paint the poster on the wall, return to Dingo Inflagrante for your reward.

BTW: you don't need the PSI Blast or Confusion Grenade upgrades for any achievements.

The next five are too complex to put all into this guide, I recommend visiting GameFAQS if you want to track down any of those hard to find items
http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/922157-psychonauts/faqs
They Call Me the Hunter (!)
Redeem all 16 Scavenger Hunt Items
All found around the camp area and the Asylum, return them to Ranger Cruller
No Solid Food for Six Hours (!)
Re-brain the Children
All found at the Asylum, return them to Agent Cruller in the the sanctuary. Note: By this time, Agent Cruller will have moved down the bright hallway to the observation room.
These next three are found in the various minds, you can check your status in the collective unconscious area:

No More Secrets
Crack all Vaults
Find and crack all vaults in each mind (most all minds have two, Meat Circus has only one)
Happy Bags
Sort all Emotional Baggage
Every mind has five emotional baggages, find the corresponding tag and make 'em happy.
Figgy Piggy
Gather all Figments
This is perhaps the second most painstakingly annoying achievement in the entire game.

Holiday Dinner
Cook and consume two different kinds of roast in one sitting.
Use pyrokinesis, (available once you reach level 10,) to roast two small creatures in the same area, squirrel being one and a regular bird as the other(not a seagull or crow). Daytime is required as there are no birds at night.
Best area IMO to do this is on the pathway between the lodge and the parking lot.
This can be tricky as you have to sneak up on the creatures.

Christmas Shopping (hidden achievement)
Buy an item from the Camp Store on Christmas.
Date dependent, you need to buy something from the camp store on Christmas Day. Be sure to play the game on December 25. Or, you can set your system clock to Dec 25 and get the same effect
Witness Achievements
For lack of a better term, these depend on Raz being there at the right place and time to witness or do something, some can be missed if you progress the story too far.
Made Man (!!)
Witness Maloof's transformation
Spoiler:
Immediately after Sasha's Shooting gallery; don't do the 2nd brain tumbler just yet, instead go to the parking lot to find Maloof, talk to Maloof.

I'm Sure She's Over It
Uncover Milla's Secret
Spoiler:
When you start going up the first vertical climb area in Milla's Dance Party, you will see a inconspicuous looking balcony, float on down to it to find something very unsettling.

Wolpaw Says Thanks (!!)
Hear Vernon's Ghost Story
Spoiler:
Immediately after completing Milla's Dance Party, head to the lodge TV room to find Vernon telling a rather mindless tale. Hang around and listen to the entire tale.

Maybe It's the Hair (!!)
Spy on Bobby's love life
Spoiler:
Also immediately after Milla's Dance party, Go to the GPC Wilderness area and find Nils and Chloe, talk to them.

Look at those Pansies!
Find Edgar's Secret Garden
Spoiler:
Purchase the Vine painting in the diamond alley, enter the sewer and find the gate that is opened via a telekinesis activated button. Once you climb out of the sewer, hang the vine painting at the end of the alleyway, climb the vine and follow along until you get to a secret garden.

I Think They Were Impressed (!!)
Introduce all Camp Kids to Mr. Pokeylope
Spoiler:
This assumes you re-brained all the children. When you get Mr. Pokeylope, DON'T take him to Shegore just yet, instead, go back to the camp, find all the children and show Mr. Pokeylope to them.

Locations:
- Kid's Cabins JT, Chops, Dogen(around the grounds,) Kitty, Franke(girls cabin,) Bobby and Chloe(Coach's landing)
- Main Lodge: Nils and Elka (back lodge exit area)
- Main Lodge(Indoors): Phoebe, Quentin (playing) and Vernon(at a table).
- Parking Area: Mikhail and Maloof (Coach's SUV)
- Reception area: Clam and Crystal (Janitor Cruller)
-
Lake: Elton and Milka (On the dock)
- Benny is nowhere to be found, but doesn't count against the achievement

Victory Tour

Revisit all brains after completion
After meeting each mind's main objectives, be sure to re-enter the mind from the Collective Unconscious once more.

This can be easily be done after winning the game; A final autosave is made that puts you back in meat circus, use the teleport critter to teleport to the collective unconscious, if you are 100% you will also see a special message too!

Repetition Achievements
These involve repeating a certain task over and over.

Camp Gossip (!)
Read many bulletin board messages
Self explanatory, find a camp bulletin board and activate it until the achievement activates
Mmm… Bacon!
Use the bacon. A lot.
Also mostly self-explanatory. The trigger is when you activate the bacon from your inventory, not asking about multiple things while you have Agent Cruller's attention.

I've also received a report that repeatedly asking Agent Cruller things after activating the bacon is what actually works.
A Slice of History (!)
Discover the secret history of Whispering Rock
In the middle of the camp parking lot is a giant log where the rings will detail the history of Whispering Rock, activate the front of the log until the achievement activates.
Stump Speech (!)
Give the Coach's speech on the stump
Go to the reception area where the campfire is, stand on the stump and press your use button to recite Coach Oleanders's speech he gave at the beginning of the game. This used to be bugged where it wouldn't work at night, but supposedly been fixed in the latest update.
Self Aware (!)
See yourself through the eyes of many others
Use Clairvoyance on anything that moves and can be targeted.
I'm not sure, but I think you may need to use clairvoyance on different person/creature each time to advance.
I LOVE PUNCHING!
Complete the Punchy Target mini-game
Spoiler:
In the second stage of Basic Braining is a punching mini-game that must be completed once to progress forward. This mini-game needs to be done 5 times total for the achievement, you will know you are on the final stage when it requires you get 50 points in 75 seconds.
Raz's PSI punch has a good enough reach that you should stay on top of the button once targets only appear in the inner ring.

NOTE: this seems to be much easier done with a good controller rather than KB+mouse

--------

And that's it! Any comments, corrections, clarifications are welcome.

Last edited by Rellik66: 06-05-2013 at 10:44 PM. Reason: You gotta be careful in Meat Circus.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:48 PM   #2
Nacimota

Thanks for this; a few achievements had pretty vague goals.
Nacimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:00 PM   #3
thom-22

Excellent guide. I think this will help a lot of players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellik66 View Post
I'm Gonna Live Forever
Find all Golden Helmets
I think you have the wrong level name for the first one. Shouldn't it be
Spoiler:
Brain Tumbler Experiment? And returning to Brain Tumbler after Milla's is not just recommended but required for story progression.

Quote:
Recommended Gave Saves
Little typo there.
thom-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:39 AM   #4
Nacimota

I now have all the achievements \o/

Thanks again.
Nacimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:22 AM   #5
Rellik66

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom-22 View Post
Excellent guide. I think this will help a lot of players.
Thanks!

Quote:
I think you have the wrong level name for the first one. Shouldn't it be
Spoiler:
Brain Tumbler Experiment? And returning to Brain Tumbler after Milla's is not just recommended but required for story progression.
I'll have to verify this one later, I wasn't sure the exact moment it would show up
Quote:
Little typo there.
What part?
Is it 'Recommended'? My spell check says it's ok.
Rellik66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:13 PM   #6
soviet_sharkey

Banned
Where is the PoNR
soviet_sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:27 PM   #7
in.meinem.turm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soviet_sharkey View Post
Where is the PoNR
You will get a popup and the game creates a separate autosave before that point. So don't worry about that.

Quote:
What part?
Is it 'Recommended'? My spell check says it's ok.
You misspelled "Game".
in.meinem.turm. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:20 PM   #8
Rellik66

Quote:
Originally Posted by in.meinem.turm. View Post
You misspelled "Game".
D'oh! Fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soviet_sharkey View Post
Where is the PoNR
You are very close when you reach the top of the asylum.

Oh, and I corrected the discrepancy in the golden helmets achievements.

Last edited by Rellik66: 10-19-2011 at 01:24 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:39 PM   #9
Sentient6

Great thread, much appreciated.
Sentient6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:32 PM   #10
Rellik66

I went ahead and added Christmas Shopping to the list, even though it should be pretty obvious what to do.

there are other holiday-related achievements out there too for other games:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2272641
Old 12-15-2011, 12:27 PM   #11
nobiology

Quote:
Mmm… Bacon!
Use the bacon. A lot.

Also mostly self-explanatory. The trigger is when you activate the bacon from your inventory, not asking about multiple things while you have Agent Cruller's attention.
I don't believe this is accurate. I used the bacon over 200 times from the inventory and didn't get the achievement. I checked the old guide and it has this to say -

Quote:
Use it until Cruller only says "Huh?" when you call him and ask him a lot of stuff.
I tried this, spamming the A button on the first question and got the achievement within 5 seconds.
nobiology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:36 PM   #12
Rellik66

Odd, It was the other way for me, I had to spam the bacon in the inventory for it to unlock. Can someone else confirm what actually worked?

Oh, and while I am here, can anyone confirm if Holiday Dinner actually works? Nevermind, I got both holiday achievments.

Last edited by Rellik66: 12-15-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:50 PM   #13
ReverendTed

I'm pretty sure that "Victory Tour" is activated by revisiting each mind after it's completed, not necessarily "after completing the game". After finishing the story for any given mind, you can go right back in to see the post-completion vignette.
ReverendTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:32 AM   #14
Rellik66

Interesting, I'll change it.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:53 PM   #15
ThePonz

really a great job
this topic should really stay in first page.. maybe sticky
ThePonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Psychonauts