Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas

Old 10-17-2011, 06:24 AM   #1
zanmat0

Post Steam Account name change

Echoing an ealier thread, I would like to continue discussing the option of changing our Steam Account's name.

Based on Valve's current stance, early adopters of Steam are being punished rather than rewarded in that when they made their accounts, only an email could be used, instead of a username. Most of these users, myself included, have since gone through several email addresses and may not even have access to the one used in their account name.

There is no reasonable justification for this treatment from Valve. If they are so adamant about locking their original supporters to their old emails, then at least let them create a new account and transfer their game titles over.

I, and surely others, would like an official reply on this matter. I think we are owed this as customers and fans.

Please discuss.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:04 AM   #2
Me2nice

I see nothing wrong with letting us do this.
Me2nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:26 PM   #3
zanmat0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me2nice View Post
I see nothing wrong with letting us do this.
Me neither.
zanmat0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:32 PM   #4
CTRL ALT DEL !

Why do you want to change a name that nobody see's?
CTRL ALT DEL ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:43 AM   #5
snapjak

Most of the valid requests come from people who signed up and used an email address as their login. Those I can perfectly understand. Otherwise... yeah, live with it.

Though the points about locking people to one email are kind of shallow, since it's just a login and not the actual address tied to the account.
snapjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:30 AM   #6
BaSeBallDuDeR

I dont want to change my name, but i know of alot of people that do and it would be a great thing for steam to do that for the customer, to give them an option to at least change your name ounce a year. It would make people happy, but would it screw with things with steam?
BaSeBallDuDeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:31 AM   #7
SpectralJulian

Yeah, I've been with Steam since beta & I have an absolutely ancient email address that I no longer have.
SpectralJulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:06 AM   #8
Eunos

Banned
Supported.

Last edited by Eunos: 10-18-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Eunos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:16 AM   #9
mpsheen

I also support this
Some members may have thier own email address at thier own domain like i do
If they loose accsess to this they no longer have accsess to the email account.
mpsheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:17 AM   #10
ForumHelper

I support this. It's a must for people who have been hacked, plus there's no reason not to allow it.
ForumHelper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:37 AM   #11
Suff

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumHelper View Post
I support this. It's a must for people who have been hacked, plus there's no reason not to allow it.
This would not necessarily increase account security. Remember; account security is measured by the strength of your Steam account's password as well as being weary of general Computer Security & Phishing Fraud. I do, however; support a "steam-name-change" feature, but only if it is developed in such a way that it can not be abused, i.e; hi-jacking accounts and changing the name. I rarely issue my Steam login name to anybody, being that I like many others know that there are users out there who know their way around exploits and such.

+Support.

Last edited by Suff: 10-18-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:36 AM   #12
Rowosh

I agree with ForumHelper.
Rowosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:49 AM   #13
x0raclex

Banned
Support.
x0raclex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:05 PM   #14
Aemony

I was able to recover my brother's long forgotten hijacked previous Steam account since the account name still was the same as his e-mail address he have used the last ten years or so. Lucky us!

Anyway, yes, if given the option I'd probably change my e-mail username to another name altogether. There's only one reason I still retain possession of that e-mail address: Steam.

However I remember hearing something from someone at Valve regarding certain database servers still running per older database models, or something or the other. That was presumably the reason why they can't allowed old-time users to change username from an address, since they'll first have to migrate said databases to the newer model. But it's highly likely that I'm wrong completely on the subject.

Anyway, don't see it as being punished. I see it as being rewarded. I've got a friggin' e-mail address, damnit! That's proof of how old school I am, or something! :P
Aemony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:36 PM   #15
Pura

Although I am not an old-school Steam user having an email address as log-in, I would support this. Some people might still remember my account name since the times when I was stupid and said it publicly when someone wanted to add me, so by this the security of my account is affected a bit negatively.
Pura is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Suggestions / Ideas