Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Terraria

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2011, 04:36 AM   #1
Silvador
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Reputation: 56
Posts: 918
Earthquakes

I remember reading somewhere that the devs were considering adding earthquakes in Terraria as a random event, like the Meteor Strike. I don't know if the idea was just a whimsical thought, a serious possability, or already planned. But I was recently thinking to myself how such a thing my work. This isn't so much as a suggestion, rather more a discussion of a theory.

I reckon a good way for an earthquake to work would be this:

1. The screen shakes for a couple of seconds and temorarily paralises all mobs, NPCs and the player (purely an easthetic effect).

2. The game randomly selects a section of the map about 5-10 blocks wide (maybe more).

3. The game then sicks everything, within that column, 20+ blocks straight down, like a big ol' sick hole.

And there you have it. Terrarian Earthquake.

Thoughts?
Silvador is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:05 PM   #2
Gking19
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Reputation: 15
Posts: 432
A sinkhole isn't an earthquake. It should destroy trees, more likely player built objects though.
Gking19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
Silvador
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Reputation: 56
Posts: 918
I said like a sink hole. I intended this as a description for how it would look that the blocks drop down, rather than simply moving all the blocks down in a uniform manner. It would be as if the ground had split open and dirt and stone had sunk into the crevace. Have you ever watched a movie where they show a really big earthquake and you see it move along the landscape with the earth falling down into the crack as it goes? Something like that.
Silvador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:56 PM   #4
Gking19
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Reputation: 15
Posts: 432
Ok my mistake. But yeah, with a giant crack, it could work.
Gking19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:19 PM   #5
CaptainDingo
 
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Reputation: 696
Posts: 5,963
In my opinion, it should cause certain blocks in the affected area to randomly behave like sand, like dirt and clay. Then after the earthquake is over, they resume their normal behavior. This way you could have cave-ins occur, and it would just generally make more sense.

Your idea if causing a crack to emerge might work better as some sort of fissure.
CaptainDingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
Gking19
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Reputation: 15
Posts: 432
Yeah the fissure could pretty much be like one of the chasms in the corruption, except it's a sand chasm.
Gking19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:42 AM   #7
Silvador
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Reputation: 56
Posts: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainDingo View Post
In my opinion, it should cause certain blocks in the affected area to randomly behave like sand, like dirt and clay. Then after the earthquake is over, they resume their normal behavior. This way you could have cave-ins occur, and it would just generally make more sense.

Your idea if causing a crack to emerge might work better as some sort of fissure.
Bleh. I suck at describing things. The sand thing is more or less what I was trying to (and apparently failed at) explaining.

The game selects an area X number of blocks wide and all the blocks in that area (and x number down) drop like sand before resuming their previous behaviour, essentially creating a "crack" in the ground.
Silvador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:39 AM   #8
CaptainDingo
 
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Reputation: 696
Posts: 5,963
Got it.

Anyways, yeah, it'd be a cool idea. Hopefully this can be implemented along with weather, since I presume when they add weather they'll also want to add some natural disasters.
CaptainDingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:18 PM   #9
darkova
 
Join Date: May 2011
Reputation: 0
Posts: 24
maybe their should be central area where the earthquake occurs and causes the most blocks to act like sand and as you get farther from it less blocks get affected
darkova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:49 PM   #10
Gking19
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Reputation: 15
Posts: 432
Sounds cool. But with the earthquake thing, it should also "take down" trees, and any player made structures.
Gking19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #11
setzway
 
Join Date: May 2011
Reputation: 243
Posts: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gking19 View Post
Sounds cool. But with the earthquake thing, it should also "take down" any player made structures.
Yeah..but, I hope it isn't excessive. I mean I would love to have to do "maintenance" on my structures. However I would hate to have to essentially rebuild my whole castle/town/building. I would love to have sections or "columns" of it "sink" into the ground or be outright destroyed. But still be whole overall. Or have them add "damage" to blocks. Like, for example, in Miner: Dig Deep...when you would pick at the tiles they would get varying degrees of cracks until the tile was destroyed. If they did something like that, then they could have the earthquake "damage" the blocks. Of course then each block type would have varying "durability". Like dirt.."one hit" stone, "two hits" stone blocks "three hits" something like that. Therefore if someone builds their building out of wood, it's easily going to be destroyed by the quake. However if the building was make out of say ebonstone, or gold bricks or something, then it would get damaged but not destroyed. Making the player have to repair the damage or the structure would be destroyed in the event of another quake/event. Of course if the building is at the epicenter of the quake, and the earth is destroyed under it ala "blocks behaving like sand" then the building should "fall in" the ground and be messed up/destroyed.

I dunno, just thinking off my head. I think it would be a good idea if quakes behaved that way.
setzway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:40 PM   #12
Gking19
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Reputation: 15
Posts: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by setzway View Post
Yeah..but, I hope it isn't excessive. I mean I would love to have to do "maintenance" on my structures. However I would hate to have to essentially rebuild my whole castle/town/building. I would love to have sections or "columns" of it "sink" into the ground or be outright destroyed. But still be whole overall. Or have them add "damage" to blocks. Like, for example, in Miner: Dig Deep...when you would pick at the tiles they would get varying degrees of cracks until the tile was destroyed. If they did something like that, then they could have the earthquake "damage" the blocks. Of course then each block type would have varying "durability". Like dirt.."one hit" stone, "two hits" stone blocks "three hits" something like that. Therefore if someone builds their building out of wood, it's easily going to be destroyed by the quake. However if the building was make out of say ebonstone, or gold bricks or something, then it would get damaged but not destroyed. Making the player have to repair the damage or the structure would be destroyed in the event of another quake/event. Of course if the building is at the epicenter of the quake, and the earth is destroyed under it ala "blocks behaving like sand" then the building should "fall in" the ground and be messed up/destroyed.

I dunno, just thinking off my head. I think it would be a good idea if quakes behaved that way.
Interesting. Yeah, having to rebuild my entire house would pretty much make me rage quit Terraria. Maybe just have a few dozen blocks move out of place and like fall to the ground or something?
Gking19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Terraria


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.