Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
jackka
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Display resolution and mouse DPI difference in-game

Will my display resolution or mouse DPI have an effect on how likely I am able to get a headshot, etc.?

I used to play the previous Counter-Strikes a lot and would love to get back into it with CS:GO, but it will be hard for me to really be into it if I know that not everyone in the game is on some sort of level grounds without any advantages due to a stupid setting.

I would hate having to go backwards in technology and play in a lower resolution or DPI just so that I am not playing gimped against other people. As a matter of fact, I don't think I'll even play it much after the initial foray if I know that different settings make any difference in-game.

For me, the fun in CS comes from watching myself go from a newbie to a scoreboard leader. And the basis of all that would come from fair game mechanics for all parties involved. What fun would it be to own in CS knowing that you have a significant advantage over the average Joe? That is the reason why I've never been interested in playing with hacks... in any game for that matter.

I don't know the whole technical aspect of whether it's feasible to have people with different settings play on level grounds with hit registries and all, but I just felt that it was an important enough concept in a game like CS.

I'm looking forward to playing the new Counter-Strike and hope that I'll be able to play knowing everyone has the same chances no matter which setting their hardware allows them to have.
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
Krovvy
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Reputation: 52
Posts: 869
Not delving into the technical stuff, but DPI shouldn't affect your ability to aim. I've used high DPI mouses and low ones and am currently using a standard 400 DPI mouse. It just doesn't matter, it's more of a gimmick than anything. The main things are making sure your mouse is comfortable, doesn't skip, and has plenty of room.

Consistency will help you much more than these gimmicks.
Krovvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:58 PM   #3
jackka
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovvy View Post
Not delving into the technical stuff, but DPI shouldn't affect your ability to aim. I've used high DPI mouses and low ones and am currently using a standard 400 DPI mouse. It just doesn't matter, it's more of a gimmick than anything. The main things are making sure your mouse is comfortable, doesn't skip, and has plenty of room.

Consistency will help you much more than these gimmicks.
I wish I could say the same.

I'd love to talk to a dev about this, but couldn't find any email or contacts from Valve's website. If I knew that higher mouse DPI gave me the same chances and all the high-tech gaming mice with the ability to go lower DPI were just gimmicks with no real use, I'd live in a better world.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:05 PM   #4
Krovvy
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Reputation: 52
Posts: 869
Just remember the mouses that won more competitive tournaments in Counter-strike, and Source was the Intellimouse 1.1 and the 3.0. Both of the mouses are very old, have 400 DPI and none of the new features of current day mouses. They do however have a very consistent optical sensor that won't skip, and have very comfortable ergonomics.

It's all about consistency. The only thing that effects the feel of the mouse in a positive way would be the USB Hz or the polling rate. Which 500 should be about the max that anyone can actually tell a difference. I use a program to overclock the polling rate of my current mouse and it does in fact feel snappier.
Krovvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #5
jackka
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovvy View Post
Just remember the mouses that won more competitive tournaments in Counter-strike, and Source was the Intellimouse 1.1 and the 3.0. Both of the mouses are very old, have 400 DPI and none of the new features of current day mouses. They do however have a very consistent optical sensor that won't skip, and have very comfortable ergonomics.

It's all about consistency. The only thing that effects the feel of the mouse in a positive way would be the USB Hz or the polling rate. Which 500 should be about the max that anyone can actually tell a difference. I use a program to overclock the polling rate of my current mouse and it does in fact feel snappier.
I can't find the original article, but lower DPI mouse resolution apparently helps you score more headshots, or any shots in general when the cross-hair is close to the edges of a head or body. It had something to do with rounding up and down of the hit registry. So it makes sense that an old mouse wins more tournaments.

What I don't want is to be playing CS:GO against a random person who might have 200 DPI or 5700 DPI and either of us having an easier or harder time hitting each other.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:08 PM   #6
Krovvy
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Reputation: 52
Posts: 869
Only way you're going to get perfectly balanced game without users having different settings, peripherals, and different advantages is to play the console version.
Krovvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:08 AM   #7
POMKU
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
find a mouse without mouse prediction,400-800dpi is enough
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:13 AM   #8
Muffinabus
 
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Reputation: 73
Posts: 1,062
Chet mentioned in the NYC CC video interview that the intention was to not allow an advantage in the game by playing with a lower resolution or lower DX level.
Muffinabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:28 AM   #9
jackka
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffinabus View Post
Chet mentioned in the NYC CC video interview that the intention was to not allow an advantage in the game by playing with a lower resolution or lower DX level.
Wow that honestly makes me happpy
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:14 AM   #10
beef9205
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Reputation: 26
Posts: 357
Jackka, youre playing into a myth thats plagued CS players forever.

Resolution and mouse DPI have no effect on hit registry.

The game is simulated using floating points for X,Y,Z position on the map, as well as for the angle of view (where your are looking)

resolution just affects the way YOU SEE the game, and DPI affects how much you need to move your mouse on your mousepad to make a change in mouse position on your screen.

There are no advantages/disadvantages.


The only thing to note is that many pros play on 800x600 because they like to use old CRT's to get 120hz refresh rate, which makes a bit of a difference.
beef9205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:25 PM   #11
Krovvy
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Reputation: 52
Posts: 869
Also I'd like to add most professionals have been using the same resolution for almost a decade.

Again it's all about consistency.
Krovvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:38 AM   #12
mubhcaeb78
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Reputation: 0
Posts: 46
Playing on a 1920x1200.. I prefer the 1024x768.. too much eye movement to see everything.. and easier to aim imo, not so much distance between.
mubhcaeb78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:30 AM   #13
SkuzeeII
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Reputation: 11
Posts: 151
This is kinda off-topic, but it seems like the better computer and better peripherals I get the worse I get at CS. I had better scores playing with a Geforce FX5200 and standard DELL mouse of 2006 on a piece of paper running at 1024x768 than with two 580's, RAT 7 mouse, blackwidow keyboard, and "precision" trackpad running at 1920x1080.
SkuzeeII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:38 AM   #14
jackka
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkuzeeII View Post
This is kinda off-topic, but it seems like the better computer and better peripherals I get the worse I get at CS. I had better scores playing with a Geforce FX5200 and standard DELL mouse of 2006 on a piece of paper running at 1024x768 than with two 580's, RAT 7 mouse, blackwidow keyboard, and "precision" trackpad running at 1920x1080.
That's what I'm afraid of. Hopefully it has nothing to do with resolutions and DPI, but I'll be damned if I have to lower settings on purpose to gain an edge.

The best professional players today still use 640x480(according to HeatoN in a 2010 video) and pretty low mouse DPI resolutions.

If that's only because they like what they're used to from 1999, you're telling me that nobody in the last decade+ has newly gotten into CS with bigger resolutions and became competitive for some reason?

If it's all a myth and really only about a consistent play environment, why is there no good pro player in 2011 who just chooses to play at higher resolutions?

Let me hear from a CS developer or a pro player that one can play at 1920x1200 and whatever mouse DPI resolution and have absolutely no disadvantage given the same amount of practice and play time, because I think it's a bit silly that anyone should choose to play at 640x480 in the year 2011.

Last edited by jackka: 10-31-2011 at 10:44 AM. Reason: edited "1980x1200" to "1920x1200"
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:14 AM   #15
waoh
 
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Reputation: 120
Posts: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by beef9205 View Post
Jackka, youre playing into a myth thats plagued CS players forever.

Resolution and mouse DPI have no effect on hit registry.

The game is simulated using floating points for X,Y,Z position on the map, as well as for the angle of view (where your are looking)

resolution just affects the way YOU SEE the game, and DPI affects how much you need to move your mouse on your mousepad to make a change in mouse position on your screen.

There are no advantages/disadvantages.

The only thing to note is that many pros play on 800x600 because they like to use old CRT's to get 120hz refresh rate, which makes a bit of a difference.


^ This




The is no advantage to lowering your resolutions, it all comes down to preference. If there was one resolution that was better then the others then all the pros would be using it, but that's simply not the case. Preference Preference Preference... And in some cases it's just people mimicking pros thinking the're getting an edge when they really aren't.

The same goes with DPI, it's preference. It's up to you to find a sensitivity that you feel most comfortable and aim the best with. Many pros use low DPI because they prefer playing with low sensitivities, but there are a few pros that play with high dpi and sensitivity too.

Preference.
waoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.