Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Batman: Arkham Asylum

Old 10-19-2011, 11:54 AM   #1
mranomaly

Button Input Bug Making Game UNPLAYABLE

I bought the STEAM GOTY version, not pirated or anything weird like that (I only mention this because during my searches for answers to my problem, I only found about 200 pages talking about how the pirated PC version was bugged on purpose by Eidos, which I agree with), and I've searched everywhere to try and find an answer to this:

Basically, every single button I press pauses the game. I press W to move forward, and as soon as I release W, the game pauses. A, game pauses. S, D, SPACE, etc. all cause the game to pause.

I've tried resetting the keys, but for some stupid reason the game's key mapping option (in the launcher, as you can't do it in-game) has no option to set Pause. So I can't reset it to ESC (default) no matter what I do, even though ESC does pause the game (I only want to do this to reset it, so incase the game somehow reads every other button as pause also, resetting it to ESC would cause the game to do just that).

So basically I spend $40 on this game and I can't play it, at all, nor can I find any answers online concerning this because the net is flooded with pages concerning the pirated game.

Believe me when I say I've looked for solutions to this, these forums are pretty much my last chance. I don't post here unless I really need some help, as you can see with my low 8 posts (at the time of posting this) despite joining in August last year.

Last edited by mranomaly: 10-19-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
Konde7

Check cache game files, check keyboard configuration, do you have a joy-pad?
Konde7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
mranomaly

I've done all that. I also said in my message that I have messed with the keyboard config (including that they don't let you do it in game, only from the launcher, as well as there is no option allowing me to change the Pause button).

No joy pad, and I'm not spending $20 for one just to be able to play a game that doesn't require one, just because of a bug.
mranomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:08 PM   #4
Alienware Gamer

Post your CPU/GPU here & system Ram amount. Most likely its either:

1: Your GPU is underpowered for the detail levels your using.
2: Your GPU cannot handle PhysX.
3: Your OS is hitting the pagefile as not enough free System Ram.

The input lag is probably not enough free resource on your PC to run the game!!
Alienware Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:57 PM   #5
marciohuser

Had you ever tried it with a DIFFERENT keyboard and/or mouse? Just a hunch
marciohuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:17 PM   #6
mranomaly

Ah, the popular "GPU/CPU not powerful enough" suggestion. Saw it coming, and should have posted my specs before.

However I guarantee you it's not an underpowered PC. In fact, highest graphics settings for games like Fallout NV, Crysis & Crysis 2, Dead Island, etc. are laughable even with high resolution mods attached to them.

Specs: (Straight from dxdiag)

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1
System Manufacturer: Gateway
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 860 @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8152MB RAM
Page File: 2728MB used, 13572MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

My video card is: ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series, 1024 MB.

My video card does not support PhysX as it is not a NVidia card, therefore I do not have PhysX activated, so it has nothing to do with that.

As for checking a new keyboard, no sorry. I didn't decide to go out and replace my pretty much brand new one (no joke, last month because my previous one finally broke) in order to test whether or not the keyboard is the issue with this particular game, lol. =P I did think of it though and it is a slight (albeit improbable, because this is an issue with this particular game reading my input, and only this game) possibility, so I'll digress to my being ignorant in that particular case. I do plan on borrowing a buddy's though.

However, I doubt that to be the problem enough to continue to seek alternate solutions for the time being.

What I am really hoping for is that someone else besides me has had this issue, and fixed it, and can shed some light on it for me.

Also, an update to my issue, I tried playing again after restarting comp and this time, instead of every button pausing the game, it would happen whenever I pressed any combination of 2 (or more) buttons. For example, if I strafe right-forward (W + D), it would pause after I let any of them go. Same thing if I press A + SPACE, and so on. So it's also inconsistent, which is actually very odd in a case like this.

I'll keep checking back here, as well as searching. Thanks for the help/suggestions so far guys.

Last edited by mranomaly: 10-19-2011 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Removed some unnecessary stuff (such as BIOS info)
Old 10-19-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
marciohuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mranomaly View Post
I do plan on borrowing a buddy's though.
That's what I was talking about. Sorry for not being clearer
marciohuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:10 AM   #8
mranomaly

Lol, no worries I was just messing with you. If that's the issue, I would be pretty happy because it seems nobody else but me has this issue. Reinstalling doesn't help either...ugh.

EDIT :::
Well the problem seems to have sorted itself out somehow. It was like, each time I closed and reopened the game, it got a little bit better until it finally stopped.

Odd bug.

Last edited by mranomaly: 10-20-2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:05 AM   #9
mranomaly

Sorry for the double post. I was gonna edit my last one and realized it would not bump the thread, and I really am hoping SOMEONE has an answer for this.

The problem has sprung up again. It seems to happen randomly (as in, either the game will start up and the problem doesn't happen ever, or it happens consistently until I restart the game. It doesn't happen at random times while playing, it happens upon start-up and persists until I restart the game, over and over again until it doesn't happen) and I'm beginning to think the STEAM version might be the bugged version of the game released to deter pirates or something because I've NEVER experienced a bug like this one, that seemingly happens at random. And I absolutely DID NOT pirate this game, I bought the STEAM's GOTY edition to get back into it before Arkham City, which I have pre-ordered.

If ANYONE has answers, I'd GREATLY appreciate it. I can't find any answers for this problem because every single "bug" issue I can find is referring to the Pirated version (I REALLY wish people would NOT archive pointless topics and pages so people can find updated answers without having to sift through 100 pages on Google because of 2 year old topics, such as the pirate issue, flooding every page).
Old 10-22-2011, 11:38 AM   #10
dejavecue

Sounds very similar to what happened when I last spilled beer all over my keyboard.

Something like that happen to you lately? If yes, throw out the keyboard and get a new one.
For me it was easier to find though, as it was that whatever I pressed, "s" would be pressed along with it so I could just open up word and find out if that was the issue. You seem to be having ESC somehow tied into this...

As for the intentional bug you referred to (that they put in to deter pirates) - that only stopped the grapple gun from locking onto stuff (and thus it was impossible to advance in the game).

Hope this helps a little bit
dejavecue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:13 AM   #11
mranomaly

Month old keyboard, spilled nothing on it, ever. I must say I'll be pretty cross if I bought a bad keyboard (but I'll be relieved if something that simple fixes the problem too), but it works absolutely flawlessly for EVERYTHING else.

The game is pausing on its own now, whether I press a button or not. And like I said, it's not consistent, however it has started just randomly happening during the game after its been running smoothly for about 10-15 mins. So it seems to change when it happens, how often, and its consistency, on the fly.

I just uninstalled and re-installed again, including the deletion of the installation folder from my program files before re-installing, and it still does it, sometimes worse.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:29 PM   #12
mranomaly

Nobody...? A $40 issue is a bit tough to let go... =(
Old 10-24-2011, 10:37 PM   #13
nawin

Banned
-try reinstalling
-try verifying game cache
-make sure the buttom inputs are correct(reset them a couple of times to default)
nawin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 10:52 PM   #14
mranomaly

I've already posted that I've done all of those things. Still does it. Thank you anyway.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:26 AM   #15
Right2Live

Banned
Try running the game without keyboard plugged in. If it stops pausing, then it's your keyboard.

Last edited by Right2Live: 10-25-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Right2Live is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Batman: Arkham Asylum