Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Off Topic

Old 10-21-2011, 08:05 AM   #1
bluz74

Strange bug in a game I played recently.

So I was playing Bioshock 2 the other night and I came to a part that I thought was going to be tough. There was a Big Sister jumping around the ceiling and I heard a bunch of splicers. Then I accidently hit "F6" and it said it was saving my game and not to turn off my computer. "What the heck?" I thought, " What was that?"

So anyway, I proceeded into the area, and sure enough, I got totally owned. The Splicers tore me apart! Well, it was already 11:30 at night and I had to get to bed because of work in the morning, not to mention, I was just killed, so I reluctantly decided to quit the game, as it seemed that this would be a could a time as any.

*saving checkpoint*

"Great", I thought to myself, "now I have to go back through the level from the last checkpoint, recollect everything, and revisit every room I've already been in. Damn it."

*reader gets killed then respawns*

"Great", I thought to myself, "now I have to go back through the level from the last checkpoint, recollect everything, and revisit every room I've already been in. Damn it."

The next evening I started up the game and noticed a "Load game" option so I clicked it. Low and behold, it loaded to the very spot right before I died the night before! It was great! "What black magic is this?" I thought.

Has anyone experienced this recently? Is it a bug?
Old 10-21-2011, 08:10 AM   #2
Firestorm998

It may be a vita-chamber saving the progress from the moment of death or when you quit. I can't remember exactly how they work though.
Firestorm998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:15 AM   #3
monkeedude1212

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluz74 View Post
Has anyone experienced this recently? Is it a bug?
I'll admit I abuse it in just about any game that has it. You know how when you're typing up a paper you just mentally make it a habit to hit CTRL+S whenever you hit enter? I do that whenever I score a kill in video games with the "Quick save bug" button.
monkeedude1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:19 AM   #4
BS_1

Huh, Bioshock 2. I forgot about that game. I only have 72 minutes played on it so far.
BS_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:23 AM   #5
bluz74

Ka......wick......Sssss.....ave?

Is that what it is called?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS_1 View Post
Huh, Bioshock 2. I forgot about that game. I only have 72 minutes played on it so far.
I gotta tell ya, they improved the controls a hell of a lot in the second game. I'm not far enough to judge it as a whole, but I'm enjoying it so far.

Now tell me more about this "Quick save".
bluz74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:54 AM   #6
marie pavie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluz74 View Post
Now tell me more about this "Quick save".
You get three of them before you have to put in another quarter.
marie pavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:06 AM   #7
bluz74

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie pavie View Post
You get three of them before you have to put in another quarter.
Great. I have to put more money into my computer? PC gaming is getting costly.
bluz74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:36 AM   #8
Joshyjess

This thing called "Quick Save" was implemented in some games to help old, decrepit people like myself.

Unlike the days of my youth, I no longer possess that required ingredient of patience that games of old demanded. As a Youngin' it didn't bother me replaying the same level over, and over and over and over and.... to finally beat that ever-so-irritating boss.
If it took me 45 minutes to get back to where I was, not a problem, after all, I still had my whole life in front of me, what's a few extra hours.

Now, as an old dude, I realize how important every minute of my quickly fading time on this globe has become. No longer is it cool to waste what little time I have left revisiting the same things over and over again. I need new things - quickly!

So how is it possible for a developer to cater to both the patience of youth, and the death and decay of old gamers - Viola - Quick Save.

Yes, that's right, now we old foggies can actually "save" our place in a game right before facing the boss. Now, every time the boss wipes the floor with us, we can simply re-spawn right at his doorstep. No more wasting what little time we have left re-trudging through life stealing minutes of past experiences.

As a lad, quick save would have been worthless, but now, as an ancient relic, I find it mandatory in the games I decide to grace with my final moments.
Joshyjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:23 AM   #9
Zekiran

I just keep wanting to go back in to Bioshock 2 and finish it, but then I realize I already did finish it and there's nothing more to it. :/ sigh.
Zekiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:28 AM   #10
Kiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshyjess View Post
This thing called "Quick Save" was implemented in some games to help old, decrepit people like myself.
I heard that in ancient times, people had the ability to 'escape' the game, choose to 'save' and even give a name to their 'save file'. They say you could once have as many of these as you wanted, and if you used one it would load you right back at the point where you saved.

Some people call this heresy.
Kiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:31 AM   #11
iBMe

quick save is awesome, using after every kill is a little excessive though.
iBMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:33 AM   #12
iBMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekiran View Post
I just keep wanting to go back in to Bioshock 2 and finish it, but then I realize I already did finish it and there's nothing more to it. :/ sigh.
I feel the same about the Half-Life series
iBMe is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Off Topic