Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alpha Protocol

Old 10-23-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
DuckieMcduck

What made your playthrough fun?

Something about Alpha Protocol that I like is that there's a lot of variation the gameplay can offer you depending on your picks and choices throughout the game.

Problem is, the game is filled with little glitches and arcadey gameplay. That can completely shatter the whole experience, because some skill trees are just broken because a couple core elements don't work in the game. Stealth is a good example of this. However, you can still have some fun with this game, Believe it or not. Those who somewhat liked the game probably understand this.

So, what made your playthrough interesting?

----------------------------------------------------------

In my somewhat first try, I tried playing recruit. And the game was pretty frustrating and weird. I didn't like the game at all when I first did this.
Later on I decided to give this game another chance. I made a new character, and I set the difficulty on easy, because I was aiming for a less serious playthrough, and consequentially an a lot more entertaining one.

I picked freelancer, and being the tactical little fellow I am, I spent all my skill points on Martial Arts and Endurance so I could run in and kick everyone. Results were a lot more effective than expected, and quite hilarious. Mainly because the shooting in this game is very odd.

Armed with an epic beard, my hands, one rifle for picking off enemies from a distance and a shotgun for obvious close quarters combat, I was ready to fulfill my duty of the ultimate spy. Funny thing is the game turned out very balanced, I couldn't sprint in and be a kung-fu master all the time because I'd end up mowed down, which forced me to take cover and actually use some sort of strategy to fight off large groups of angry russians.

One of the major points of this game is that dialogue is very deep and intriguing, there are many options to pick from when engaging on a conversation with someone, most of them leading to different things. Being a complete dou‏c‏hebag during my playthrough at any given opportunity had me crying in laughter, specially because things turned out a lot better than I thought they would. This really turned out amazing later on because the game fluctuates around your actions and seeing the amount of damage I caused and how everybody is taking everything I did seriously is very entertaining and at least comical, to say the least.

I killed every major character in the game everytime I could and I can say that I am quite satisfied. It feels like you're watching a spy movie where the good guy doesn't actually let the villain (They probably were not all villains, we'll never know) slip by alive, giving them chance to do something even more dangerous. Not with me in charge of the direction, I tell you.

Anyway, that was about it. This whole "run, punch and be an " made my playthrough turn into pure gold for me. I will not get into a lot of detail of my choices so I won't spoil anybody up for this.

This game is clearly flawed, but it's still pretty entertaining when played "correctly"

Last edited by DuckieMcduck: 10-23-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
SmellyLethality

Quote:
Problem is, the game is filled with little glitches and arcadey gameplay. That can completely shatter the whole experience, because some skill trees are just broken because a couple core elements don't work in the game. Stealth is a good example of this.
Elaborate on this please? How does the stealth tree not work in the game?
SmellyLethality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
angrykenji

i'm at the end of my first playthrough and i chose the stealthy spy who cared for most of the NPCs (scored all three chicks too later in the game...ah, the spy life).

my next playthrough will definitely be the opposite. run and gun, be an and jarate all NPCs (except Mina, i guess since you're with her most of the game and the bonuses could help) and be a jerk in general. i can't wait
angrykenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
DuckieMcduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyLethality View Post
Elaborate on this please? How does the stealth tree not work in the game?
Stealth is just completely broken for my taste. The AI is very unpredictable rendering most passive stuff fairly unnecessary. Could be just me, though.
DuckieMcduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:24 PM   #5
SmellyLethality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieMcduck View Post
Stealth is just completely broken for my taste. The AI is very unpredictable rendering most passive stuff fairly unnecessary. Could be just me, though.
Huh... I always go stealth and pistols, and I've been very happy with the results.
SmellyLethality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:36 PM   #6
Muuro

Stealth is completely broken in that it is ridiculously overpowered. All you need is stealth, high levels of chain shot, and brilliance and you will be able to motor right through the game with no challenge whatsoever.

But if you want fun try going with full Martial Arts and fight all the bosses in hand to hand combat (the ones that are remotely possible at least, so sadly you can't do this with Darcy, the chopper, etc). You can even beat Brayko this way. I've done it twice, and it is by far the greatest feeling of accomplishment to beat him this way.
Muuro is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alpha Protocol