Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Battlefield series

Old 10-23-2011, 02:33 PM   #1
xlolsniperftwx

Question What is Origin?

So what is the deal with this "Origin"? What is it? Why have I heard so many negative things about it?
Old 10-23-2011, 02:36 PM   #2
X-Dolphin

Origin is a digital distribution client made by EA for EA games. It's like EA's version of Steam or Impulse. It will be required for Battlefield 3 to install and run.

Some people don't like it, so that's why there are complaints. Just like some people don't like Steam. It's not as full-featured as Steam is currently, but many people report faster download speeds with Origin.
X-Dolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
Zefar

Volunteer Moderator
Two reasons.

1: People overreacting about an Eula thing that EA wouldn't abuse.

2: EA took Bf3 away from Steam which made some hardcore fans very mad and they are making all the ruckus.

That's about it. Some will go out of their way to claim how crappy/buggy/unpolished the program is but it's actually pretty good.

So most of this negative backlash is just from people who hate EA. Like literally.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
Overt.Enemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Dolphin View Post
Some people don't like it, so that's why there are complaints.
Or people don't see the need for more than one digital distribution client if they already own Steam. Also it's clearly years behind Steam in terms of functionality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zefar View Post
Two reasons.

2: EA took Bf3 away from Steam which made some hardcore fans very mad and they are making all the ruckus.

That's about it. Some will go out of their way to claim how crappy/buggy/unpolished the program is but it's actually pretty good.

So most of this negative backlash is just from people who hate EA. Like literally.
Origin is pretty good, sure. Until you compare it to Steam. But compared to nothing at all? Yeah, it's good then.
Overt.Enemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #5
Ph3NiX

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlolsniperftwx View Post
So what is the deal with this "Origin"? What is it? Why have I heard so many negative things about it?
It's a program designed by EA to be competition to Steam (Valve), in the new marketshare of digital downlads.
The only difference is that Origin is made by EA and will be probably needed to run exclusive EA games that probably will not be released on Steam (like Battlefield 3, Mass Effect 3 and MMO The Old Repubblic).
Ph3NiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:06 PM   #6
lilbabycat

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zefar View Post
Two reasons.

Yes, we hate companies that lie to us. We also hate people that deny that they have done wrong in the past and say stuff like
Quote:
lilbabycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:11 PM   #7
Brandon Spikes

Banned
Just an FYI, BF3 doesnt require Origin to run, just install.

You can run the game and it doesnt launch Origin, only battlelog.
Brandon Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:18 PM   #8
taodemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Spikes View Post

When I tried running the bf3 beta from the exe it would launch origin if it wasn't already running. Launching from battlelog without origin running in the tray also didn't work.
taodemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:21 PM   #9
X-Dolphin

Quote:
Originally Posted by taodemon View Post
When I tried running the bf3 beta from the exe it would launch origin if it wasn't already running. Launching from battlelog without origin running in the tray also didn't work.
During the beta, if I launched BF3 from the Battlelog without launching Origin first, Battlelog would automatically start Origin for me. Either way, I think Origin will be required to run BF3, similar to how Steamworks games need to use Steam to play.
X-Dolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:34 PM   #10
MrChris

tbh

its

QQ

if you want and like the game, then buy it, don't let something as trivial as Origin stop you, because seriously you don't even realise its running tbh
MrChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:41 PM   #11
Brandon Spikes

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by taodemon View Post
Beta is beta, it was over a month old by the time it came out.
Brandon Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:39 PM   #12
ATOJAR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overt.Enemy View Post
Origin is pretty good, sure. Until you compare it to Steam.
How can you compare a program that came out in 2003 to a program that was released in 2011?

Now don't get we wrong i like Steam(have almost 100 games with steam)but damn man give Origin a chance! ... Do you even remember Steam back in 2003? It was nothing like it is now. Give Origin some time and it will be great just like Steam is now, Healthy competition is only good for us consumers.

Last edited by ATOJAR1: 10-23-2011 at 04:43 PM.
ATOJAR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:24 PM   #13
Overt.Enemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATOJAR1 View Post
How can you compare a program that came out in 2003 to a program that was released in 2011?
Pretty easy since EA has had a digital distribution client for YEARS. Origin is just EAs latest attempt to make it somewhat better than totally horrible. So they've had plenty of time to compete with Valve and they BLEW IT. That's how.

Even if that wasn't true I can compare a 10 year old client to a 10 day old one if I want. I don't care how long they've been around, I'm choosing one NOW that I want to use and I've chosen Steam. So, what, EA gets a pass because it's newer? Lol, don't think so.
Overt.Enemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:31 PM   #14
etienneb29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Spikes View Post

And you got a source?
etienneb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 05:49 PM   #15
Oz_JuicE

Storm in a Tea cup! Get over it FFS people. I'm astonished by all the over reaction to Origin.
Why should Steam have the monopoly? Surely competition is good for everyone!
Oz_JuicE is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Battlefield series