Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Stronghold series > Stronghold 3

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 10-28-2011, 02:33 PM   #1
JonesChr

Failed to initialize engine

Just bought the game on steam, and can't launch the game at all.
Whenever I try to run it, it spins for 10-20 seconds and then pops up a window "Failed to initialize engine".

I tried manually re-running all the secondary installers like the stickied post said, and revalidated my cache, but nothing works - always the same popup error.

Any ideas how to resolve this problem?
Old 10-28-2011, 02:38 PM   #2
captain_weasly

im having that too...
captain_weasly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:35 PM   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #3
DerrickG

Valve
There was an update released today, are you still having issues?
DerrickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:04 PM   #4
Koen83

I am also having the same problem,. Purchased and have not been able to even play the thing. The patch made no difference.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:45 PM   #5
Jorran

Yeah I'm getting the same error. I haven't been able to play the game yet. I'm hoping that Firefly releases another patch to fix this.
Jorran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:22 AM   #6
bitschnau2637

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitschnau2637 View Post
Make sure your computer meets the minimum requirements.

CPU: 2.8 GHz Intel(r) Pentium(r) 4 or AMD(r) Athlon(tm) 64 3000+ or higher
RAM: 1 GB for XP / 2 GB for Vista and Win7
VGA: 128 MB DirectX(r) 9.0c-compatible video card (ATI(r) Radeon X1000/GeForce(r) 6 Series or better)
DX: DirectX 9.0c
OS: Windows(r) XP (with Service Pack 3) or Windows Vista(r) (with Service Pack 2) or Windows(r) 7
HDD: 2 GB space free
Sound: DirectX 9.0c-compatible sound card

Make sure all of the following are up to date:

Graphics Card's drivers
DirectX

Aside from verifying your game cache and checking your connection with Steam, you may also need to manually run secondary installers required by this game.

Exit Steam entirely.

Browse to your Stronghold 3 installation folder (Usually C:\Program files\Steam\Steamapps\common\stronghold3\)

Run the following installers:

...\Steamapps\common\stronghold3\resources\directx \DXSETUP.exe
...\Steamapps\common\stronghold3\resources\dotNetF x40\dotNetFx_Full_x86_x64.exe
...\Steamapps\common\stronghold3\resources\redist\ vcredist_x86.exe
...\Steamapps\common\stronghold3\resources\redist\ vcredist_2008_x86.exe

Reboot your computer and test any issues again.

Please exit Steam and go to the folder called C:\Program Files\Steam\ (this is the default location for a Steam installation - if you set a different installation directory, you will need to browse to it).

Delete all of the files in this folder except:

The \Steamapps\ folder and Steam.exe (this file is listed as an application and features the black and white Steam logo)

Restart your computer.

Then, launch Steam.exe from within the Steam installation folder, and not from a pre-existing shortcut.

With Steam running, re-test the original issue.

Note: This process will not affect your currently installed games.

Let me know if it works.
Ps: I got this E-mail from 7sixty support
Old 10-29-2011, 10:27 AM   #7
JonesChr

No, none of those things worked for me, and in fact it ended up making steam forget I had validated this computer for use on steam, making me register it again, which I'm not real happy about.

But the end effect is the same problem - failed to initialize the engine.
JonesChr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:38 AM   #8
JonesChr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerrickG View Post
There was an update released today, are you still having issues?
I'm still having the issue after the update too. So, the workarounds don't seem to work for me and I'm on the latest update.

Anything I can do to troubleshoot this is most appreciated.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:52 AM   #9
bitschnau2637

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesChr View Post
No, none of those things worked for me, and in fact it ended up making steam forget I had validated this computer for use on steam, making me register it again, which I'm not real happy about.

But the end effect is the same problem - failed to initialize the engine.

Yeah...for me this things are also not working...
I also not abel to install net.framework 4 may this is the problem?
i only can play stronghold 3 when i deactivate the Intel graphic device but this is no solution...
Old 10-29-2011, 11:13 AM   #10
JonesChr

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitschnau2637 View Post
I also not abel to install net.framework 4 may this is the problem?
I had no problem installing the .net framework secondary installers (both of them), so I doubt that's it, assuming we have the same problem.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:30 AM   #11
bitschnau2637

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesChr View Post
I had no problem installing the .net framework secondary installers (both of them), so I doubt that's it, assuming we have the same problem.

i guess...
i think we have the same problem so 7sixty pleas.... do something
Old 10-29-2011, 11:38 AM   #12
ctcc42

This is nothing to do with the redistributable. The Failed to initialize engine message can be bypassed by disabling additional GPUs in device manager.

My system has 3 580s in tri-SLI and 1 460 for dedicated PhysX. The 460 occupied the MB’s first PCI slot so it is often detected as the systems primary GPU by hardware scanning software. When windows finishes booting the GPU drivers switch everything over to the 580s and all my games play perfectly fine. Except for SH3. By going into the device manager and disabling the 460 SH3 can be made to run. BUT if it is not re-enabled before the system is shut down the system cannot boot up again normally. So this is not an acceptable fix.

At any rate this shows that the issue is caused by having more than one GPU in a system, it probably manifests itself even when one is just a chip on the MB. But it dose not manifest either if all GPUs are the same or if they are running in SLI. Precisely which, I have not tested.

So this is a problem that needs patching. Not a simple work around from the community, sorry guys.
ctcc42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:42 AM   #13
rollsrolls

http://forums.steamgames.com/forums/...3#post26117283

Read my post at the the bottom of the thread.

I fixed loading issues on 3 pcs by using steam beta and toggling the update option.

Hope that helps some of you.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:46 PM   #14
JonesChr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcc42 View Post
This is nothing to do with the redistributable. The Failed to initialize engine message can be bypassed by disabling additional GPUs in device manager.

My system has 3 580s in tri-SLI and 1 460 for dedicated PhysX. The 460 occupied the MB’s first PCI slot so it is often detected as the systems primary GPU by hardware scanning software. When windows finishes booting the GPU drivers switch everything over to the 580s and all my games play perfectly fine. Except for SH3. By going into the device manager and disabling the 460 SH3 can be made to run. BUT if it is not re-enabled before the system is shut down the system cannot boot up again normally. So this is not an acceptable fix.

At any rate this shows that the issue is caused by having more than one GPU in a system, it probably manifests itself even when one is just a chip on the MB. But it dose not manifest either if all GPUs are the same or if they are running in SLI. Precisely which, I have not tested.

So this is a problem that needs patching. Not a simple work around from the community, sorry guys.
I suspect you're on to something - my machine has two GPUs. But I can't disable either one of them. The device manager has one for an intel chipset (an integrated chipset) and one for an AMD GPU, a high performace 3D chipset. But if I disable the Intel GPU, then the AMD chips has no access to my screen (everything goes blank and I have to go to safe mode to fix). And if I disable the AMD 3D chipset, then the intel chipset doesn't support DirectX.

So, I have no workaround. I agree, this is something that needs to be fixed by the developers.
Old 10-29-2011, 01:47 PM   #15
JonesChr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollsrolls View Post
http://forums.steamgames.com/forums/...3#post26117283

Read my post at the the bottom of the thread.

I fixed loading issues on 3 pcs by using steam beta and toggling the update option.

Hope that helps some of you.
This is a fix for a different issue. The game is unavailable is a different bug, and this workaround doesn't work for this problem.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Stronghold series > Stronghold 3