Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > PAYDAY The Heist

Old 10-28-2011, 04:03 PM   #1
Nefarioz

Ai bots and objectives.

I'm certain that i'm not the only one that thinks that AI's should be able to do objectives. For example the bank heist if you play singleplayer and go to the copy machine and grab the drill and thermite you have to run back to get the other can of thermite and at that point there is surely a party of cops in both the drilling area and the lobby. another example is slaughterhouse. if you play singleplayer or multiplayer but with bots you have to run with one sack of gold to the shipping yard and then back to the van again to take another bag of gold. and if you play multiplayer with 1 or 2 players the bots wont grab the last gold bags and you have to run back again. I just think it would be great to have this in the game.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:22 PM   #2
jdm1983

I agree with you but they would need to be Micro-Managed to avoid making the game too easy!

The reason OverKill removed the ability for bots to do the objectives is because if they ran around doing everything, what would there be for YOU to do?

But I still think theres room to ORDER them to do something...they won't by default though.

Also, to make it so it can't be exploited to make the gameplay too easy you should have to tell them to do EVERY part of what you want them to do....at no point should they think for themselves.

For example:

Slaughterhouse, when you have to pick up the bags of gold...you have to point to EACH and EVERY bag in TURN and press F to order a bot to pick one up..it shouldn't be enough to just point at one and all 3 bots pick them up...no you must actively tell each bot to pick each bag up.

Same with the drop off in the cargo container...they won't auto drop them..again you will have to aim at each silhouete and press F.

This then avoids using the bots as an exploit because you're still having to take the effort to give them orders, it's almost as much effort as doing it yourself!

so in YOUR example with the thermite, you would HAVE to TELL them to pick it up..they won't JUST DO it! But at least you can get them to!

I think there's room for that in Single Player. it would make Single Player feel more team-like.

It wouldnt make SP ANY easier than MP because you can already do all this in MP!

So yea, I agree!

Last edited by jdm1983: 10-28-2011 at 05:28 PM.
jdm1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
TheKritsTheyKil

Just make it so if you dynamic shout at the objective (so long as you are within range and sight of it) you will do a generic command.

(Shout at drill) "SOMEONE GET THE ING DRILL GOING!"

(Shout at money stacks) "GRAB THE BAGS AND START LOADING THE LOOT!"

(Shout at thermite placement) "WHOSE GOT THE THERMITE?! GET IT LIT!"

This way the bots CAN do the jobs, but you have to tell them to by being present in the area already. So in short, you sacrifice speed since you could be performing the action, or you can order a bot to do so and cover them, but it obviously will take longer. However it always feels bad to be calling the shots.
TheKritsTheyKil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:35 PM   #4
jdm1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKritsTheyKil View Post
Just make it so if you dynamic shout at the objective (so long as you are within range and sight of it) you will do a generic command.

(Shout at drill) "SOMEONE GET THE ING DRILL GOING!"

(Shout at money stacks) "GRAB THE BAGS AND START LOADING THE LOOT!"

(Shout at thermite placement) "WHOSE GOT THE THERMITE?! GET IT LIT!"

This way the bots CAN do the jobs, but you have to tell them to by being present in the area already. So in short, you sacrifice speed since you could be performing the action, or you can order a bot to do so and cover them, but it obviously will take longer. However it always feels bad to be calling the shots.
Yea, sounds like you're thinking along similair lines as me.

There should be SOME disadvantage to doing it to avoid it being abused.

Perhaps ordering Bots to do an objective sacrifices their attention to the cops. They go centrally focused on doing what you've told them so its ON YOU to protect them! They won't be self aware!

I also had the same thought process of having to be within a certain range of the objective so you again can't abuse it by lol running across green bridge before saying 'inflate the balloon' ...for a start, you'd need to have the objective in sight! But maybe even within a certain proximity too.

So its almost like you're doing it still, only you've told a bot to do it.
Only difference!

Advantage though of course is like MP you can carry multiple objects in SP...like Gold bags or Thermite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKritsTheyKil View Post
However it always feels bad to be calling the shots.
This.

Totally! That's one of the biggest reasons why it would be cool to have in SP. It just needs to be disadvantaged in some way to balance it out so it doesn't affect difficulty too much!

But like I said before, you can do all this in Mp anyway if you have 4 friends playing at once so...what's the harm?

lol they'll still be more reckless and stupid than most humans so the benefits will be small but at leats they will be more helpful to some degree!

But seriously, if they found some way to incorporate Bot's being controlled (stay here, follow etc) and also to be ordered to do maybe even only certain objectives where you NEED a team..such as thermite or gold bags,(perhaps you CAN'T tell them to plant the drill on the safe cos why don't you just do it? sort of thing), then the team play aspect of SP PayDay would have kicked L4D's !!!

Which would not be a bad thing for a indie title to do!

Last edited by jdm1983: 10-28-2011 at 05:54 PM.
jdm1983 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > PAYDAY The Heist