Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sword of the Stars: Ultimate Collection

Old 10-29-2011, 12:42 AM   #1
TheAbraxis

8,662GB version also worthless.

So after having the first version, then the update both being garbage, i deleted local content and re-downloaded for the 8,662gb one.

It's still garbage, same as the other .

The pirated version floating around is also the same garbage version if anyone is wondering, so I'm thinking Kerberos may have just released what they had done so distributors couldn't get screwed with pre-order returns. This isn't a problem with steam.

Last edited by TheAbraxis: 10-29-2011 at 12:56 AM.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:43 AM   #2
Imbajoe

I seriously hope this is not the case. That would be one hell of a "ballsy" move.
Imbajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:53 AM   #3
entity_code

Unfortunately, it is. Someone there has more balls than brains.
entity_code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:55 AM   #4
methos32

got any evidence to back that up
methos32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:58 AM   #5
Trila

yeah I DO, just try and play this garbage.

That's all the evidence you need.
Trila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:58 AM   #6
entity_code

I uninstalled, deleted everything SOTS II related and downloaded the new version. So, yes. Need screenshots?
entity_code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:58 AM   #7
Captiva

I just played the updated version for an hour or so, a little bit buggy yes, but it is definatly playable to an acceptable standard. That being said wait untill Monday when they are supposed to release the next patch.

There are a few fixes for the biggest issues like not working on 64 bit or no fullscreen or words on main menu, just check around the forum.
Captiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:02 AM   #8
michaelmerlin

This version clearly isn't done. The encyclopedia is mostly empty, the "options" button on the start page dose nothing and their are placeholders still present in the game in other areas. This is clearly not a finished release version, literally anyone trying to play it could see that.

The interface runs like a alpha build. They've omitted any information from the screens. Ever played SotS 1? Remember how you could click a little i button to see what the sections on a ship were in a paragraph description?

Yeah, they forgot that.

It's a mess. No one should buy it in this condition. It's not worth downloading for free in in this condition. If they were giving it away, I would suggest that you pass.
michaelmerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:03 AM   #9
Mogul260

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAbraxis View Post
I'm thinking Kerberos may have just released what they had done so distributors couldn't get screwed with pre-order returns.
It does seem a bit far fetched that they would accidentally give the wrong version to steam. Twice.
Mogul260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:16 AM   #10
geldon

Having played it a bit, I'm going to say that the version is actually an improvement, albeit a minor one.

The big improvement is this: stability. The game has not crashed on me once since the update. Maybe I was just lucky?

The tool tips and options panel that wasn't working properly before have had their placeholders removed, and that's kinda chintzy, but at least the game looks a little better. Hopefully those will be added in working order soon because knowing exactly what station modules do (for example) is not well enough supported yet.

Basically, this new version of the game is fully playable, but you're left somewhat in the dark because important tool tips are missing.

Foremost example: keyboard shortcuts. There's absolutely no way to find out what they are: they're not in the manual, you can't access an options screen to find bindings, ect. Is there a way to declare peace during combat in SOTS2? Heck if I know. Is there a way to accelerate/decelerate the speed of combat? Probably, but my mashing the keyboard failed to find it.

Last edited by geldon: 10-29-2011 at 01:19 AM.
geldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:23 AM   #11
Teerakaar

@Geldon, I would consider you lucky. Twice around turn 20 I tried to go into the Fleet Manager screen and CTD, plus the sound going out and everything else that is mentioned here. I'm sure they will fix it, but damn. Wish I knew beforehand that I was buying a Beta build, and not a good one at that.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sword of the Stars: Ultimate Collection