Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V

Old 11-01-2011, 03:38 AM   #1
Dantistas

Bethesda, what the HELL are you thinking?

What is the damn reason to region block Lithuania from buying or pre-ordering skyrim? My country has no video game censorships,also, morrowind and oblivion are available for us in steam, so what is the damn reason to region block us from Skyrim? Im sure as hell won't buy the game at all if it won't be available for me in steam, all you do is encouraging to pirate your game for people in blocked countries.

Sincerely,
A furious customer.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:46 AM   #2
Garnatian

How do you know it's their fault?
Old 11-01-2011, 03:57 AM   #3
Bazas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantistas View Post
What is the damn reason to region block Lithuania from buying or pre-ordering skyrim? My country has no video game censorships,also, morrowind and oblivion are available for us in steam, so what is the damn reason to region block us from Skyrim? Im sure as hell won't buy the game at all if it won't be available for me in steam, all you do is encouraging to pirate your game for people in blocked countries.

Sincerely,
A furious customer.
I'm Lithuanian too. I made several threads on this forum and on the official Bethesda forum. No definite answer from either. I have also contacted Steam Support and emailed Bethesda. Steam Support stated that they can't support me on this problem, and I didn't get a reply from Bethesda yet.
The thing is, I didn't ask them why it's not in out country, because they will not answer that for sure, and it won't change a thing if they do. I asked them if it's still possible to play if I'd receive it as a gift. No one knows, and support didn't answer that question.
Basically, if you receive it as a gift, there is a chance it won't appear in your library, it will always remain as a pre-order, or you will simply not be able to play it at all.
It is risky to ask someone to gift it to you. The best thing we can do now is wait until it comes out, and ask people who live in blocked countries who received Skyrim as a gift. If they are able to play it, then that would point to us being able to play it.
Bazas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:01 AM   #4
Shadoww0lf

I learn something new geographically ever day.
Shadoww0lf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:12 AM   #5
Bazas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadoww0lf View Post
I learn something new geographically ever day.
Lithuania is also the geographical center of Europe.
Bazas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:17 AM   #6
Akumetsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantistas View Post
What is the damn reason to region block Lithuania from buying or pre-ordering Skyrim? My country has no video game censorship,also, Morrowind and Oblivion are available for us in Steam, so what is the damn reason to region block us from Skyrim? I'm sure as hell won't buy the game at all if it won't be available for me in steam, all you do is encouraging to pirate your game for people in blocked countries.

Sincerely,
A furious customer.
Great another person who doesn't take the time to read other peoples threads about the same topic -facepalm-. To quote another person post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubanitoS View Post
I am in the same situation. I'm from Hungary and the game is not available here to buy from Steam.

I have had the Japanese version gifted to me, so I am anxious to see what will happen after the release date, which is 11/11/11 global and Dec 15 for Japan. lol

Also, don't be afraid to get a gift from someone outside your region. With the new Steam Trade feature it is clearly stated in the FAQ that there are no region restrictions for game trades made with steam trade. Nothing will happen to your account, receiving a gift from the US is 100% legal.

One other thing that might make you feel better. RAGE is also region blocked from Hungary, but still the game is steam works and needs Steam to be played. My friend bought the retail version of RAGE and he could activate the game on his Steam account without any problems. (Yes, the game is still unavailable for us to buy directly off Steam.) I think the same thing will happen if you got the game gifted via Steam. After it is legally released in your country, you'll be able to play it on Steam. At least that would be the logical conclusion.
Also it might not be Bethesda's fault it might be a legal issue(not like censorship laws) with your country that's preventing Bethesda from releasing the game in your region. If it makes you feel any better I live in the US and I've gifted many games to friends who live in places where video game censorship is a bit over the top -COUGH- Australia -COUGH- Germany -COUGH-. So instead of blaming the company and acting all uptight about it try to find ways around it like using Steam Trade(buy a game a person wants and trade Skyrim for it if you can find a person willing) or getting a friend you know in the US to gift it to you and next time learn to read other peoples thread about the same topic >.>.
Akumetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:20 AM   #7
Erstok

Your best bet on this would be to get it mailed to you instead. Get a physical copy instead of blaming a game company. Game companies can't change country laws on what can be bought and sold, you have to take that up with your political leaders.
Erstok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:34 AM   #8
Original182

Dirt 3 is blocked for my region, but not Dirt 1 or Dirt 2.
It could be that retailers in your country are asking for the block because they want customers to buy from the shops instead.
Can you try asking local shops to see if you can get it?
Original182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:10 AM   #9
Ze.Markos

Banned
Well, if they don't want to sell oficially,
There is always a free digital distribution like BitTorrent.
Though I really prefer to pay for game (support developers).
Ze.Markos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:16 AM   #10
daddy3322

Same here in Slovakia (which is also a center of Europe )
I'm sure, we can't blame the laws (we have no censorship), so I blame Bethesda too. Oh and real shops have sold their copies and have none left
daddy3322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:18 AM   #11
BuKOHT

Same in Latvia (hi neighbor). I suppose it's locked for the EU2 region. But don't understand the purpose of that.
BuKOHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:26 AM   #12
ceemeeir

Same in Hungary.
How to solve problem: Go to the nearest Game shop, buy it for half the price, active on steam, enjoy.

My manual is on Hungarian too, so I really don't see why doesn't steam sell it. I doubt it is Bethesda's fault.
ceemeeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:53 AM   #13
Milkycookie

I got to take the effort to visit these countries one day. Last time I visited I was stopped by barbed wire, high walls and serious looking fellows in camouflage. I saved my progress at the Checkpoint, but some guy named Charlie told me I couldn't go further.

I feel you pain, Steam blocked some silly games on my side as well, like Street Fighter IV (makes no sense since I live in Asia and you practically trip over copies of SF IV everywhere)

By the way, what's nice to eat in Lithuania?
Milkycookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:58 AM   #14
dannythefool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceemeeir View Post
My manual is on Hungarian too, so I really don't see why doesn't steam sell it. I doubt it is Bethesda's fault.
Yes and no... IIRC at least some of Bethesda's game are distributed exclusively by 1C in Eastern Europe. Which means they can't also allow Steam to distribute them.
dannythefool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:00 AM   #15
NasherUK

Publishers cry about so many people pirating games, but they aren't helping their cause by doing crap like this :P

Last edited by NasherUK: 11-14-2011 at 05:03 AM.
NasherUK is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V