Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V

Old 11-01-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
tassos22

multiclassing....

Since there is a lvl cap at 50, one character in Skyrim won't be able to access all skills and perks. So no warrior/mage/thief.

That does mean that if someone isn't really careful and starts using a sword, then switches to spells etc.. and doesn't pay attention to specific skill growth, a character could get really mediocre midgame...

any thoughts?
Old 11-01-2011, 05:02 PM   #2
superboyofmeat

Its certainly a possibility. Neither of the past two elder scrools games had perfect leveling systems.There were courses that, when taken, lead to either extremely weak character progression or insanely over-powered level progression.

I'm sure its balanced for the 3 obvious disciplines theif/warrior/mage, but there is certainly no way to tell
superboyofmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:03 PM   #3
carlz0r

Well you can choose to spend your perk points wherever you want. The levels you get in a skill by using a thing associated with that skill shouldn't really prevent you from developing the way you want.
carlz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:03 PM   #4
TheSagetEffect

I imagine that's enough to accommodate double-classing (IE spellswords). But yes, people will have to stick with their decisions.

Or use console cheats.
TheSagetEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:04 PM   #5
MrShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassos22 View Post
Since there is a lvl cap at 50, one character in Skyrim won't be able to access all skills and perks. So no warrior/mage/thief.

That does mean that if someone isn't really careful and starts using a sword, then switches to spells etc.. and doesn't pay attention to specific skill growth, a character could get really mediocre midgame...

any thoughts?
The level cap is reached by training every single one of the skills in the game to rank 100

The only thing you are limited by is how many perks you can distribute, with nearly 300 perks you can't pick them all, but just because you have no perks in magic doesn't mean you won't be able to cast high-level spells, nor will a lack of perks in archery prevent you from being effective with the occasional arrow.

You can choose to "save up" your perk at each level and distribute it later, so I'm only going to spend perks on the truly unique and useful perks, avoiding the percent bonus ones as much as possible
MrShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:53 PM   #6
Kaybald

I never particularly liked multiclassing anyway. It wrecked the immersion. (This is my opinion.) To me, I shouldn't be able to be a sneaky thief and then curve a huge fireball in my hands to use for crowd damage. And if I'm a big ugly Nord with a big ugly hammer I shouldn't be able to creep through the shadows as well as a thief.
Kaybald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:00 PM   #7
Rainmaker666

I guess that's the best part about Skyrim's level system.

You can create whatever you want, for whatever reason you want. =P It's a single player game. Your rationale is the only one that matters.
Rainmaker666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:22 PM   #8
Pyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaybald View Post
I never particularly liked multiclassing anyway. It wrecked the immersion. (This is my opinion.) To me, I shouldn't be able to be a sneaky thief and then curve a huge fireball in my hands to use for crowd damage. And if I'm a big ugly Nord with a big ugly hammer I shouldn't be able to creep through the shadows as well as a thief.
Agreed.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:05 PM   #9
Baresark

If the leveling system is the same as previous incarnations, there will be main attributes that you need to level in order to gain an experience level, but you can still train your other attributes to max value.

Then, people will really start messing with the potions. Some more famous example is to create a potion that makes you more intelligent, then when your intelligence is increased, you make another. Since your potion potency is determined by your intelligence, you simply increase your intelligence until it's ridiculous. Then you make other potions while your intelligence is super high and they are really powerful and last a really long time. I heard a story about a guy who made a flight potion that lasted so long, he had to reload his game before hand because it's effect lasted like 300 hours. He also couldn't rest while it was active.

In previous games, you could have your attributes past the 100 mark through potions and enchanting. I think through enchanting you could only have attributes of 200 though...

Talking about his makes the next 10 days hard.

Edit: Sneaking is really handy, but I didn't want to waste levels on it, so I chose a class that didn't use Sneak as a main attribute. That way, I could level it without fear of hitting that level cap. If I recall correctly, your attributes stopped growing when you hit max level... maybe.... shoot, I can't remember why I didn't want to level with Sneak.

Last edited by Baresark: 11-01-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Baresark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:13 PM   #10
bloodkay

I will probably focus on two classes, if that's the case. Also, wasn't it said that level 50 isn't the hard cap?
Erm... here:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-cap-explained
Specifically:
"While most players will max out the game at level 50, Skyrim has a "mathematical" level cap "probably somewhere in the 70s", Howard said."
Old 11-01-2011, 08:32 PM   #11
Raad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baresark View Post
If the leveling system is the same as previous incarnations, there will be main attributes that you need to level in order to gain an experience level, but you can still train your other attributes to max value.
The leveling system is not like previous games. There are no Major/Minor skills. Every single skill increase contributes to the next level's experience--instead of the usual 10 skill increases to the next level. The level of the skill increases--training from 10 to 11 will give less experience than training from 50 to 51--will determine how many skill increases are required for each level. It's been said that if you increase every single skill to 100, this will get you enough experience to get to level 65-70, but this will be a huge grind, and most players will top out at around level 50.

Also, attributes (Int, Str, etc) have been eliminated because the developers thought Skills combined with HP, MP, and Stamina were enough to adequately describe all aspects of a character. And as far as I know, HP, MP, and stamina won't have a maximum trainable value like attributes did, so this should remove some multiclassing worries like training too many diverse skills resulting in +2 instead of +5 to attributes on level up.
Raad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #12
Aedn

There are no attributes in skyrim. they removed them due to the flaws the attribute & skill system had in oblivion. Your level is based on your skills. Assuming 10 points per level, it still means most people will be extremely well rounded if they put in hundreds of hours in this game.

Since attributes are removed, it also means that race selection is not all that important. While races get bonuses in certain skills, its possible now for a nord or orc to be as proficient in magic as a breton, unlike the previous games. So there must be some kind of linear progression in stamina , health and magicka rather then stat based. Skills will probably be training to fast as well, based on videos.

Highest theoretical level is in the 70s apparently, based on whatever formula they have for skills equaliing overall level.
Aedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:53 PM   #13
Kaybald

There is a list of racial attributes already published. Argonians get Hist Skin and Water Breathing. I forgot the other races, I don't care about them.
Kaybald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:05 PM   #14
Cobalt2202

How ever you want to play is up to you - but please make up your mind.
Cobalt2202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:38 PM   #15
Synavix

I love multiclassing, but I think it's been blown out of proportion too much in recent games. I hate games where the main character is automatically the best caster, stealther, melee fighter, etc just by leveling up regardless of gear, skills, or other choices you make.

Done correctly though it can really add a lot of flavor to your character. The best example I can think of off the top of my head was 3rd edition D&D, where you could spend a level and put it into a different class giving you certain attributes of that class, but at the cost of missing out on a level of your original class. There was a lot more to it than that, with different bonuses and restrictions and such...I hardly remember the game now, but I'll always remember my favorite character was a high level rogue character with a single level in wizard or sorcerer or something. It gave me a ton of bonus skills and a few minor spells for utility reasons -- and while I was a ty caster in general, I was able to make use of a lot of magical equipment that I'd otherwise not have been able to.
Synavix is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V