Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Lord of the Rings series, The > Lord of the Rings: War in the North

Old 01-04-2012, 01:49 AM   #46
DVFVS

Lord of the Rings: War in the North works with my Bulldozer 8120.

Sorry that there are those that were having trouble - turns out my problems were fixed by the age-old 'verify game cache' within steam, and updating the BIOS on my Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 to the latest bios, looks like a beta version, called "F6f" that I downloaded from their website directly, extracted the executable, and updated through the "@BIOS" program that shipped with the mainboard.

For what it's worth, I've had absolutely no compatibility issues with my 8120, and I'll continue to support AMD and ATI.

It's a competitive CPU for the price point, beats the i5-2500K in some, loses in others, the reverse of course is the i5-2500K loses in some, wins in others, and overall I'd say I spent less than a comparative i5-2500K by between $50-$90 depending on the components.

It's certainly better for me than the 1090T I replaced it with within Windows and all other applications I use.

Without competition, Intel would return to its anti-competitive ways and predatory pricing as we saw in the early 80s.

Flame on

Remember; verify local game cache, update BIOS. Worked for me. Not sure if the BIOS did the trick or if the verify game cache did it - I had two damaged files which steam automatically replaced. After that, the game started fine. On my FX-8120 with an Nvidia 250

DVFVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #47
Dissolutionskey

Just my 2 cents

I don't have a bulldozer processor i have a phenom x6. But on my ASUS board i have the ability to shutdown cores or merge cores together. make 6 into 3 or just have 2 cores or whatever your heart desires. Generally when i run into an issue i just move my processor down to a quad or dual core and all issues go away. I mainly have to do this for old windows 95 games that i still play that are very picky

Im an AMD fan. Have been since the athlon series of processors. But I dislike the new ATI/AMD merger. Thus why my board runs AMD with Nvidia FTW.

Anyway off that side rant. Just a thought i had after skimming through this thread. See if you can modify how many cores are on and see if that helps.
Dissolutionskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:39 AM   #48
RevolverAce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwinghammer View Post
AMD/ATI has always had problems... all the way back to when my ole' AMD-K5 was giving me grief.

Nvidia + Intel ever since and always happy. ^______^
Dind't those K5's melted if they got to warm because they didnt reset at a set temp, or was that an other CPU?
RevolverAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:22 AM   #49
Tigerdango

What the eff are you guys on about? I have a custom built with an AMD Bulldozer FX-8120 that's overclocked to 3.9GHz...I can run WitN perfectly and have not had BSoD or any problem really with any game that I've run that relates to a processor problem. Including most the games mentioned here.
Tigerdango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #50
Hellsrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerdango View Post
What the eff are you guys on about? I have a custom built with an AMD Bulldozer FX-8120 that's overclocked to 3.9GHz...I can run WitN perfectly and have not had BSoD or any problem really with any game that I've run that relates to a processor problem. Including most the games mentioned here.
Back in the day when the FX series was released there were a few games that had TERRIBLE performance. My old PC that had the FX-4100 in it, got 5FPS in the main menu for Deus Ex: Human Evolution. This was caused by an issue that could only be fixed via a BIOS update, but manufactures were taking their sweet freaking time making them.

Needless to say is seems this game was suffering from the same performance issues back then(thread is a 2 years old). All these performance issues with FX series CPU's should be fixed now through a BIOS update.
Hellsrage is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Lord of the Rings series, The > Lord of the Rings: War in the North