Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > BioShock 1 & 2

Old 11-02-2011, 03:51 PM   #1
Christoffre

Question Can't pass Microsoft VC Redist Package installation

I bought Bioshock the other day and now I can't start it. When I try to start it, for the first time, the pre-installion starts with Microsoft VC Redist Package (Step 1 out of 2) and DirectX (Step 2 out of 2).

The problem is that Microsoft VC Redist Package wont install. I accept the licence agreement, then it prepares the installation and finally... nothing. A window says Installing: Microsoft VC Redist Package, but it have done so for the last 15 minutes without result.

I have manage to skip Step 1 by rejecting the licence agreement and continue to Step 2, the installation of DirectX, without any problems. But then it returns to Step 1 and I'm stuck again.

I have tried START HERE > BioShock 1 - How to fix: Sound + Start-up Bugs! [2/2/10] but it didn't help.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
AngelGraves13

You don't really need it to play the game.

Verify your game cache and launch it again.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:34 PM   #3
Christoffre

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
You don't really need it to play the game.

Verify your game cache and launch it again.
I have already validated the cache and defraged the game's files.
Christoffre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #4
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christoffre View Post
I have already validated the cache and defraged the game's files.
Check if it's already installed. If so, uninstall it and install it directly from the bioshock folder.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
Christoffre

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
Check if it's already installed. If so, uninstall it and install it directly from the bioshock folder.
I reinstalled Bioshock and still had the same problem.

I can't find Microsoft VC Redist Package nor MICROSOFT VISUAL C++ 2005 RUNTIME LIBRARIES in the "uninstall"-menu but I found a lot of other similar programs. I don't think I should touch them.

Also I have tried to install vcredist_x86, wich is the Microsoft VC Redist Package-file, via my Bioshock folder. No luck there either. It still just let me accept the License Agreement and then loads the installation. When the loading is over nothing happens.

Last edited by Christoffre: 11-03-2011 at 01:46 PM. Reason: For your convenience
Christoffre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:16 PM   #6
alai1088

I have this same exact problem when i try to play black ops and Mw3...It's so annoying how do I get rid of it! I want my games to load in 3 seconds. not a minute.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:47 PM   #7
XxLaVaxX

go into the folder \Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\bioshock
and delete the vb-vc program redist

if need fix vb-vc,&gfwl etc. install error instead; can try Thisor This
helpful microsoft a fully automated utility

Last edited by XxLaVaxX: 11-26-2011 at 03:06 PM. Reason: description link
XxLaVaxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:07 AM   #8
cat_bateman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christoffre View Post
I bought Bioshock the other day and now I can't start it. When I try to start it, for the first time, the pre-installion starts with Microsoft VC Redist Package (Step 1 out of 2) and DirectX (Step 2 out of 2).

The problem is that Microsoft VC Redist Package wont install. I accept the licence agreement, then it prepares the installation and finally... nothing. A window says Installing: Microsoft VC Redist Package, but it have done so for the last 15 minutes without result.

I have manage to skip Step 1 by rejecting the licence agreement and continue to Step 2, the installation of DirectX, without any problems. But then it returns to Step 1 and I'm stuck again.

I have tried START HERE > BioShock 1 - How to fix: Sound + Start-up Bugs! [2/2/10] but it didn't help.

I'm having the EXACT same problem with "Hydrophobia: Prophecy"! I don't know what the junk is wrong because Visual C++ works on every single one of my other programs, non-Steam related...
cat_bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 12:17 AM   #9
stevethepocket

Ugh. I'm just gonna say it: The .NET framework is just as much a plague on Windows game development as GFWL is. Any software company that designs an SDK and can't even make it create true native apps for the operating system they made just fails at life.
stevethepocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > BioShock 1 & 2