Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 11-02-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
emh22

Cannot connect to Steam Servers after Update

Since this afternoons update I have been unable to connect to the steam/valve servers. Steam shows the "updating" screen, freezes, then declares it is unable to connect. I followed all the steam support instructions for fixing connection errors, but they failed to work. I finally did a complete re-install of steam, which has also failed to work. My internet connection is stable, but neither steam or SCRDS update tool can connect to the steam/valve servers. What do I do?
Old 11-02-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
Satoru

Are you sure the windows firewall isn't blocking it?
Satoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:25 PM   #3
emh22

I'm absolutely certain its not.
emh22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:24 PM   #4
emh22

Red face

This has been going on for almost a whole day now, I have tried all suggestions relating to this particular error, does ANYONE have any ideas?
Old 11-03-2011, 08:20 PM   #5
emh22

Bumping in the hope someone will help
Old 11-16-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
sbergeson

I have the same problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emh22 View Post
Since this afternoons update I have been unable to connect to the steam/valve servers. Steam shows the "updating" screen, freezes, then declares it is unable to connect. I followed all the steam support instructions for fixing connection errors, but they failed to work.
Same as me. my internet connection is not an issue, and I have turned my firewall completely off. I have deleted blob file and it was not allowing me offline access anyway. Any ideas at all?
sbergeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:11 PM   #7
JRadz

I second this. I can connect to Steam and play my games, but it refuses to let me connect to download anything. :anger:
JRadz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:18 PM   #8
Silicon Vampire

Volunteer Moderator
Try each of these, in the order presented. If any one works there is no need to go any further in the list. It will eliminate the most common problems:

1. Exit Steam and delete the clientregistry.blob file in your Steam installation folder, then restart Steam...

2. Do the same thing but also delete the AppUpdateStats.blob file...

3. Exit Steam, then go to the install folder and delete everything EXCEPT Steam.exe, userdata folder (optional, may contain gamesaves and screenshots) and the SteamApps folder (this is where all the game data resides). Restart Steam.

This LAST (3) will force a complete refresh of the Steam installation without losing your game files.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:58 PM   #9
sbergeson

also cannot get into offline mode

In addition to the "Updating steam".... then "unable to connect to the steam server," I cannot enter offline mode or play any games. I tried steps one and two but don't want to delete everything-- particularly those mass effect 2 saves. Also, I'm not sure what the "everything except steam.exe" is. Including gameoverlayui, appcache, everything except the steam application and those two folders? What are the risks to my saved games?
Old 11-16-2011, 06:03 PM   #10
JayceM

As Silicon stated, everything except:
Steam.exe;
userdata (if you want to keep save games if the game doesn't use Steam Cloud); and
Steamapps (where your game data is).
JayceM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:34 PM   #11
sbergeson

still says I'm not connected

Ok, I deleted everything except the .exe and those two folders. Now I get the same Updating- window: Updating Steam with an empty progress bar for about 60 seconds, then it says I must have an internet connection. "Steam.exe (main exception): To run steam, you must first connect to the internet."

THis is my third night trying to access any of my games.

I am on a wired private connection with good 10 mbps and my firewall is turned off.

I have played hundreds of hours on this machine, though I am in a new location using a different modem. This location and modem have worked before, however.

Incidentally, my copy of Starcraft II will also not let me login to battle.net or play offline either.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:43 PM   #12
JayceM

If you can't connect to battle.net either, this may be a port/modem issue that's effecting both.

Take a look at this.
JayceM is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips