Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Geneforge Saga

Old 11-05-2011, 12:22 PM   #1
kalirion

Question about combat (in Geneforge 1)

So the combat looks to be turn based with action points - but how do I know if I have enough action points to "go over there and stab that thing with my dagger", or if I will instead stop 3 steps away from it and let it have its way with me?

Or did I miss a prompt?
Old 11-05-2011, 03:59 PM   #2
Jothki

I think you'll just need to develop a feel for how far your action points will take you, though I don't have it installed at the moment so I can't confirm.

It's not really that much of an issue, since you can't move after taking an action and you can always act regardless of how many action points you have left. You can always inch towards an enemy until your points are down to 1, and then do something with the last action.

The games also don't really have glass cannons, so you're never going to be screwed just because you missed out on a single attack.
Jothki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #3
kalirion

Well the problem is that I started a melee character, so I kinda need to know if I have time to reach an enemy and attack them in one turn, or hide behind something waiting for them to come to me. A grid would be nice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jothki View Post
you can always act regardless of how many action points you have left. You can always inch towards an enemy until your points are down to 1, and then do something with the last action.
Are you sure that's in the first game too? According to the in-game instructions, an attack takes 5 action points. If it can be done with 1 point, and uses up all remaining points anyway, are the instructions wrong?

Last edited by kalirion: 11-05-2011 at 06:13 PM.
kalirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:47 AM   #4
pumpmaster705

yeah, i believe those instructions are bogus. i am a geneforge veteran, so you can take my word for it. i have like 400 hours on the first one alone (i beat it when i was younger, it was the only game i could really grasp at the time) and am currently playing the rest, having just bought the saga on steam. let me explain:

well, your action points drain at a steady rate with movement. if u move your character whilst in combat mode, you will see your action points go down as such: 8, 7, 6, 5, etc. You will eventually develop a feeling for how fast movement drains your action points. however, there are also some other important things you should know:

--attacking (with any weapon or spell) costs 5 AP

--casting heal on yourself or another creature costs 5 AP

--casting a beneficial spell (such as cure, war blessing, mass restore, mass energize, etc.) on yourself and/or (an)other creation(s) costs 5 AP

--using an item (such as a pod, spores, rod or orb) costs 3 AP

--spells such as 'speed' will temporarily increase your capacity of action points (for instance, you will have 12 instead of the standard 8 to start with and can thus perform more actions per turn)

--being over-encumbered will decrease your capacity for action points (minimum is 2, with which one can only move a short distance)

--pressing the space bar (or other hotkey, depending on your custom settings), or attempting to attack or use an item without the required amount of action points will automatically end your turn

--the standard turn consists of 8 AP (spells or being over-encumbered can alter this)

I know turn-based combat is tough to get used to for a first-timer, but i assure you that geneforge is truly an unforgettable RPG and worth every second of play. it also has loads of replay value, seeing as a single choice can totally alter the course of the game and set your character up for many different options. the remarkable and enrapturing story soon makes you forget the crappy retro graphics. anyway, i hope this helped to elucidate the combat system of the game.

Last edited by pumpmaster705: 11-16-2011 at 12:54 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:29 AM   #5
kalirion

Well I'm 14 hours into the game now (though don't really have 14 hours worth of progress - only just turned level 11).

I'm not sure I've been making the wisest decisions regarding the leveling for my Guardian though. Wasted 5 points on Battle Magic thinking the Firebolt would be a decent ranged attack that I wouldn't need to spend time switching from melee for - and can't hit squat with it of course. Put a lot of points into Leadership / Mechanics, and in some ways that's nice but my combat suffers. Haven't raised any creation skills to > 1, so my creations start rather low level, so I gotta really rely on the Fyora and Artila which are already levels 10 and 9 respectively from leaching my XP. The Vlish is woefully behind at lvl 6. And having only raised intelligence a couple levels, I don't have that much essence to spend on these guys...

Should I save up 15 points to raise Blessing Magic to 3? The 8 action point limit is very cumbersome, and I always feel to greedy to use up speed items. Or will the Speed and War Blessing spell be really weak for this guy?
Old 11-16-2011, 06:57 PM   #6
Jothki

Never really played as a Guardian, and it's been quite a while since I've played the earlier games, but in theory you're supposed to be terrible at spells. The battle magic was certainly a mistake, and I'm not sure that you'll gain that much from high-cost blessing magic, especially since you won't be putting those points in intelligence, and thus won't have much essence to invest in spells or the creations to use them on.

I have to wonder how effective it would be to just replace spells with creations. Do you need damage spells when you can create Artilas? Do you need defensive buffs when you can throw in a Thahd? Do you need offensive buffs when you've put so many points in combat skills that you're already a badass?

Then again, I usually play as a Shaper with a small army roaming around that I try to keep alive with buffs and healing, so I'm not sure how valid my suggestions would be.

If you do want to go heavy melee but can't bear to give up your magic, Geneforge 4 and 5 add a class that is strong at combat but weak at shaping.
Jothki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:17 PM   #7
kalirion

Well, the Blessing spells are the only ones I'm interested in right now, particularly Speed. I've started running into enemies who obviously have more than 8 movement points. And it's hard for a Guardian to close distance to melee range without letting the enemy get a free shot or two.

Does Speed cost essence to cast? That would definitely be a no-no for my guy - most of his essense is devoted to creatures, with a bit left over for healing. I thought most spells only cost Energy? At least that's the way it seems with Firebolt.

And how long is the spell duration?

Also, my Guardian right now cannot survive 2 hits from a Battle Alpha. I've only encountered 2 of those so far though.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:57 PM   #8
pumpmaster705

you don't want to go magic if you are a guardian, at least early in the game. when u are making your character and choosing guardian, shaper or agent (in the beginning of the game) it says "strong" or "weak" next to a skill set (magic, shaping or combat). shapers have strong shaping, weak combat and decent magic skills. guardians have strong combat, weak magic, and decent shaping skills. agents have strong magic, weak shaping and decent combat skills. therefore, magic is not an area you want to spend your skill points in if you are a guardian... aside from a little buffing-out of cure, unlock, heal or maybe war blessing, i would go shaping and combat mainly.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:58 PM   #9
kalirion

I haven't even put any points into shaping, other than the first level point where needed to get started.

I did save up for 3 levels to see what Speed would be like - and didnt have enough Energy to cast it (76, needed 100). And War Blessing didn't seem like it lasted long enough to warrant even 5 points to be able to cast it. So I reloaded the saved game and put the points into Strength, Endurance and Healing. I'm just trying to keep my 3 creations alive since they're higher level than anything I could create from scratch. That does mean that if I follow this path I'll be stuck with the Fyora, Vlish, and Artila, with my Guardian tanking, but for now that seems enough.

Interestingly the firebolt came in handy in that one area with weak exploding roamers, but then with my 3 ranged creations I could've done just fine without it.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Geneforge Saga