Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 11-05-2011, 01:53 PM   #1
Sinhealer

High performance mode.

I feel I a bit of a noob here but I am really new to both AMD and ATI.

I am overclocking my processor and 6870 card,I am just using the CCC and while the processor was easy enough when overclocking my card I see a message saying that "clock settings are applied only when the GPU is running in high-performance mode.

Now I take it it means when I have my system set to run in high-performance mode,which it is but as the message is still there I just want to ask if the settings that I have set the card to are now working?

Sorry for the noob question but this is my 1st time with CCC(recent defector from Nvidia :P)
Old 11-05-2011, 02:31 PM   #2
Nitronumber9

With AMD graphic cards you have a feature called overdrive in CCC, you can set your clock speeds and that how you like and the card will use upto those settings when it requires it.
Nitronumber9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
Sinhealer

Yeah I have done that mate,it is just the message in the CCC saying "clock settings are applied only when the GPU is running in high-performance mode."

Does it do this by itself or does it mean my system should be running in high performance mode?

Also it could be something else I am missing,like I said my 1st time OC'ing on the CCC.
Sinhealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
thotaz

It's because when you are not playing any game there is no reason for the graphics card to be at a high clock so it downclocks itself, it will turn itself up when you play a game or do other graphical demanding stuff. So it's just telling you that the overclock is only active in games (when you need it)
thotaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:41 PM   #5
Sinhealer

Thank you,just was not sure and the help function did not clear it up.

Will give a few games a run now to test out the new settings
Old 11-05-2011, 02:43 PM   #6
Nitronumber9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinhealer View Post
Yeah I have done that mate,it is just the message in the CCC saying "clock settings are applied only when the GPU is running in high-performance mode."

Does it do this by itself or does it mean my system should be running in high performance mode?

Also it could be something else I am missing,like I said my 1st time OC'ing on the CCC.
On Windows 7 in the control panel theres an icon for power options, you can enable high performance mode in there.
I've noticed something you may find, alot of the time the card will clock itself to something different from what you tell it to. Mines clocked at 800mhz for the GPU core and its often 850 mhz when its gaming, and thats even with me setting it manually to stay at 800.
Nitronumber9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:56 PM   #7
Sinhealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitronumber9 View Post
On Windows 7 in the control panel theres an icon for power options, you can enable high performance mode in there.
I've noticed something you may find, alot of the time the card will clock itself to something different from what you tell it to. Mines clocked at 800mhz for the GPU core and its often 850 mhz when its gaming, and thats even with me setting it manually to stay at 800.
Yes I have enabled high performance for my system,I was just thrown a little by the fact they were only saying "gpu",I thought I was maybe missing something in the CCC but it appears not

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems