Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V

Old 11-18-2011, 11:25 AM   #121
squall_leonhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiphareth View Post
I felt I had to post a little something in defense of v-sync, and possibly clear up why you should turn it on or off.

The rate at which the graphics card presents a given frame to the screen is governed by the present interval. If this is immediate (v-sync off) the GPU goes all out to give all the frames it can per second. If this is interval one (v-sync on), it will instead be locked to your screen's refresh rate (usually 60Hz). Hence the name - vertical synchronisation.

It is important at this point to note that a lot of screens have their own internal buffers and can only take data at their internal refresh rate anyway. This is akin to the old CRT scanning electron gun - it keeps scanning back and forth at the same speed no matter what your GPU is doing. Any FPS above 60 (keeping with the aforementioned 60Hz) is wasted heat - you aren't going to see those extra frames that v-sync off generated. At best, you'll get two frames at once on the screen, e.g. half the old frame, then a screen tear, and then half the new frame.

There are two good reasons (in general) to turn v-sync off. First is if your FPS is always so low as to not get near your refresh rate anyway - v-sync won't make any difference, and the slight milliseconds delay in arranging a frame to turn up at the 1/60th interval rather than immediately can actually hurt performance (there's even a nasty corner case where it can actually give 30 fps when the GPU can do better too but that's rare).

The other reason is if the input system of the application is linked to present rate. If the mouse is sampled per frame, for example, then v-sync will lock that sampling, whereas if your rig can handle the wasted heat, a 300 fps rate will have your mouse sampled a lot more. Note this has nothing to do with drawing the mouse - I'm talking about simply determining things like where you've clicked (important in FPS twitch shooters).

*Edit: A third reason would fairly obviously be if your screen has an insanely high refresh rate or is otherwise capable of coping with lots of frames per second, but that's pretty rare.

As with any system & game, your mileage may vary, and always try both cases to see what suits you best, but there are sound reasons to leave v-sync on in a lot of cases. Mostly turning it off is just wasted heat & power.

The described mouse lag for example - that's just a hardware mouse being drawn as best the system can keep up, according to the circumstances that the game is trying to render. That isn't strictly going to be helped by changing v-sync. If you want a smooth mouse render, first pay attention to your overall FPS and worry about that (whether it be tweaking or just plain game settings). Think about how a custom mouse is going to be drawn in hardware:

Present a frame.
Where is the mouse?
Draw mouse pointer in frame at right position.
Present a frame.
Where is the mouse?
Repeat...

(Ideally this would be all done in an 2D overlay buffer and be semi-independent of the 3D rendering cost, perhaps even calculated up in a separate thread, but I have no idea how Skyrim is coded)

If your mouse staggers around like a drunken sailor in a given area of the game, your FPS is the first thing you should be looking at. What made that part of the game nuke your FPS - is it particles? smoke? a given type of lighting? V-sync may or may not help your given scenario depending on exactly what your system is doing; it's not a cure-all.

Invalid for a game that uses the frame rate to time physics.

as for lag, you can just cap the fps to the lowest you ever hit in dxstory and never get input lag.
squall_leonhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:33 AM   #122
Tiphareth

Quote:
Originally Posted by squall_leonhart View Post
Invalid for a game that uses the frame rate to time physics.

as for lag, you can just cap the fps to the lowest you ever hit in dxstory and never get input lag.
What is invalid? You'll have to explain that one. If X amount of time elapses between frames vs Y amount of time elapses between frames, how is that going to impact a physics calculation, except how often it is run?

V-sync is a cap, right? I'm not sure what distinction you're making (or indeed, which you're proposing is better, on or off)

V-sync on - present a frame, wait until 1/60th of a second has elapsed since the present began, then allow another frame to be presented.

Frame rate limiter - start a timer, present a frame, wait until 1/60th a second total has passed, allow another frame to be presented.

It's the same thing; one is done in the graphics driver, the other in the game's code or a tool intercepting the calls.

Last edited by Tiphareth: 11-18-2011 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:35 PM   #123
Subv3rse

Only because I expect it to get buried fairly rapidly on the board, this post (by myself) MAY be of help to users suffering FPS / CTD / Texture issues:

Possible assist for ATI users with low fps / texture issues (Possibly nVidia too?)
Subv3rse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:38 PM   #124
squall_leonhart

Quote:
V-sync is a cap, right? I'm not sure what distinction you're making (or indeed, which you're proposing is better, on or off)
No, vsync is a synchronisation between display updates and the flip buffer fixing tearing. Vsync incurs lag.
Frame caps do not maintain synchronisation and allow for tearing regardless of whether the frame rate exceeds v-refresh. Skyrim only requires 30fps for Havok updates to work properly, so vsync + a 30fps cap takes care of tearing as well as the flip delay lag.
Old 11-18-2011, 03:36 PM   #125
qcoutlawz

Banned
both crash and sound fix arent working
qcoutlawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:10 PM   #126
paranoid090

Quote:
don't overwrite the sd3d line.
I deleted it, but it still auto adjusts.
paranoid090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:17 PM   #127
BizzyBum

The FOV ini tweaks don't save for me. I put these three lines under both [General] and [Display] cause I wasn't sure:

fDefault1stPersonFOV=90.0000
fDefaultWorldFOV=90.0000
fDefaultFOV=90.0000

But if I type "fov=90" in the console it then makes my FOV 90 and it's easily a big difference. Is it because I have them listed twice?

This makes me wonder what else I tweaked in the ini that's actually not working now...
BizzyBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:40 AM   #128
Sebuku

Archery and Magic range limit fix - Hitting far targets

For Archer and Mages

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1279548-archery-magic-range-limit-fix/
Sebuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:53 AM   #129
Teronfel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizzyBum View Post
The FOV ini tweaks don't save for me.
fdefaultfov=XX goes to SkyrimPrefs.ini but
fDefaultWorldFOV=XX and fDefault1stPersonFOV=xx.0000
go to Skyrim.ini

Are you sure you did that right?,because that's what i was doing
wrong.Also i changed those files to "read only".
Teronfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:24 PM   #130
floyd ryan

HOW TO: Restore savegames to lower uGridstoLoad settings.

If you increase your uGridstoLoad variable, rendering in the far distance (eg waterfalls etc) gets much better. However, the game might become unstable at some point. Bad thing is, if you restore the value in the ini, you cannot load savegames which were made with the higher (unstable) setting. If that's you problem, here's a solution:

Quote:
There’s actually a way to fix save games if you want to change your uGridstoLoad setting back down to the default setting (which is 5, incidentally). It’s easy to do and I tested it to make sure it works before I saved a game with my new ugridstoload setting.

1) Load game with uGridsToLoad at the ‘safe’ setting – the one it was at when you saved.
2) Load the save, which should load correctly.
3) Open the console and type the following:

setini “ugridstoload:general” 5
saveini
refreshini

This has restored the uGridsToLoad setting to its default while your save is already open.

4) Save the game. The save you create now will work at any uGrids setting from the default up.
source: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011...comment-850611
floyd ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:26 PM   #131
squall_leonhart

saveini corrupts the skyrim config and renders menu's with a pink overlay.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:46 PM   #132
All0utWar

Quote:
Go to C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Documents\My Games\Skyrim
Open skyrim.ini, and check for [Papyrus] section. If it's not present, just create one at the end of the file.
Add iMinMemoryPageSize=100000 and iMaxMemoryPageSize=5000000
Add iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=1800000000
WARNING! Do not increase iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes value, because memory fragmentation may cause the game to crash or freeze.
Does anybody know how much memory this will exactly free up?

Last edited by All0utWar: 11-19-2011 at 01:49 PM.
All0utWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:48 PM   #133
Nemesis82F

disabling xbox 360 controller (enabled by default in settings) makes the menu more responsive and improves frames slightly. It was suggested on gamefaqs website and it does kind of improve frames by 5 or so, its hard to tell but it definately does make the menu more responsive (browsing through books, items, potions and such).
Nemesis82F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:56 PM   #134
squall_leonhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by All0utWar View Post
Does anybody know how much memory this will exactly free up?
i think you're not understanding the values......
Old 11-19-2011, 04:50 PM   #135
All0utWar

Quote:
i think you're not understanding the values......
No I don't, care to explain?
All0utWar is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V