Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alien Swarm

Old 11-12-2011, 09:39 AM   #1
usbfridge

Give us a freaking dlc already!

I know, it's 100% free, but can't you just add maps or content? It's rediculous how long this has been out and there's been only a few bug fixes and random nerfs. Oh, and there was originaly over 100 weaps and 8 player co-op, and had five campaigns. And that was a mod for a hard to use engine, that can actually be PORTED to source.

Last edited by usbfridge: 11-12-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
PMY

Neither Black Cat Games nor Valve read this forum.
PMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:41 AM   #3
Zhargadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by usbfridge View Post
I know, it's 100% free, but can't you just add maps or content? It's rediculous how long this has been out and there's been only a few bug fixes and random nerfs. Oh, and there was originaly over 100 weaps and 8 player co-op, and had five campaigns. And that was a mod for a hard to use engine, that can actually be PORTED to source.
Oh hey, and here I thought these sort of posts were finally gone.

First up, I'm not sure if the site still exists, but SwarmArmory.com has plenty of custom maps to keep you playing.

Next up, a couple of threads down from this there's a rather awesome game built on AS that you should check out.

Thirdly, learn to map. Alien Swarm was built clearly with the idea of a) seeing how a free game attracts new players, and:

b) to see if the game can survive purely on player input. This was mixed, as while plenty of people were willing to mod the game, their voice was drowned out by people like you who demanded Valve make it all themselves.

If you want new content for the game, make some! It's not that hard to master Hammer and if you make a good map it might bring players to try it, and boost Alien Swarm's numbers. Who wants to maintain a game onyl a small few play?
Zhargadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:02 PM   #4
Kein

Quote:
Next up, a couple of threads down from this there's a rather awesome game built on AS that you should check out.
???

Come again. Link?
Kein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:22 AM   #5
Zhargadd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kein View Post
???

Come again. Link?
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1819086

One of the only active threads in this subforum.
Zhargadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 09:00 AM   #6
Evildave

lol, me and other people work their butts off to bring you a map pack with 40 maps and you see threads like this... go check out the "spring update 2011 mappack" and get downloading. There's 40 maps in there to get you started.

And yes, a new mappack is slowly being worked on.
Evildave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
tb87670

I have to reply, although others have said what I would've. Modders keep the game alive, but I will admit I am a person that doesn't like to use mods. Lose that mentality with Alien Swarm, as the game was actually designed from the get-go to be dropped for free so modders can keep it alive. Mods are part of the game design by default, specifically maps/campaigns, so just download the map pack pointed out above.
tb87670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:09 AM   #8
Felix

I agree to all of the arguments above that say you can download and install the available maps (thanks to the mappack) with little effort.

However, I would do the game a huge benefit if someone from Vavle would just compile a selection of (non broken) maps and campaigns into the original game so that they would be available for all automaticaly. I am pretty sure that would boost up the numbers a lot.
The effort for valve to do this would be very little.

Okay, now I tell you why this is a valid argument and why the mappack alone is not enough:

Ofcourse every one can download and install. However, when it comes to hosting a game you have a problem when you have only little bandwidth to the internet. Therefore you have to switch to a dedicated server.
Sometimes it is not easy to find a dedicated server (where you have a low latency) with the maps installed that you want to play.
If more maps would have been build into the game by default they would be available on all dedicated servers.

Also, a Linux version of the dedicated server would help a lot.

Well, I am personaly holding up the flag for alienswarm (the classic UT2k4 version) by hosting the last remaining puplic server in europe. So I do my part. I would host also host a Alienswarm source server, IF there was a linux port for it. There is non though.
Felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:42 PM   #9
prophecy holder

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb87670 View Post
I have to reply, although others have said what I would've. Modders keep the game alive, but I will admit I am a person that doesn't like to use mods. Lose that mentality with Alien Swarm, as the game was actually designed from the get-go to be dropped for free so modders can keep it alive. Mods are part of the game design by default, specifically maps/campaigns, so just download the map pack pointed out above.
Dropping a free game with little support from the creators gives people zero incentive to make mods for abandonware. The whole do it yourself mentality is what killed what could of been a fantastic game.
prophecy holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:10 AM   #10
MithranArkanere

I wish they added this game to Steam Workshop, with the ability to download campaigns uploaded there directly from inside the game like G-Mod does with user-generated content.
MithranArkanere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:19 PM   #11
step2ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by prophecy holder View Post
Dropping a free game with little support from the creators gives people zero incentive to make mods for abandonware. The whole do it yourself mentality is what killed what could of been a fantastic game.

As far as I recall the story behind AS being free to play was that the developers wanted to release campaings that you would have paid for, thus making the core game free.

It's very irritating seeing that nothing comes out after the release. They've put so much effort in it and then their planing falls flat?

Still hard to believe.
step2ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alien Swarm