Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V

Old 11-13-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
donutdan4114

Game-breaking glitch. Esbern.

Hey, so I've been playing the main story quest, and got to a part in the rat sewers where you have to talk with a guy named 'Esbern'.

Esbern is inside a room, you go to talk with him, and nothing happens. Nothing ever happens, he doesn't greet you and open the door like he's supposed to.

After doing some research, this is a fairly common glitch... And because of it, I cannot continue playing...

Has anyone else had this happen, and fixed it? I tried the Oblivion mod tool (as that was a possible fix), but I don't have Oblivion installed.

ALSO: I can't join the Bethesda forums to report the glitch, as the confirmation email never makes it to my email address.....

So anyone had this happen?
Old 11-13-2011, 12:39 PM   #2
Baresark

There should be console commands to cue his interaction if the quest is broken somehow... I wish I knew more about the console.
Baresark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:44 PM   #3
donutdan4114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baresark View Post
There should be console commands to cue his interaction if the quest is broken somehow... I wish I knew more about the console.
This is true. From my research you can force the door open and such, but his interactions are broken. I think it has something to do with his voice file being messed up or something.
donutdan4114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:02 PM   #4
donutdan4114

Bump...
Old 11-13-2011, 05:03 PM   #5
Elimsstol

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baresark View Post
All you need to know: http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/C...mands_(Skyrim)
Elimsstol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 05:21 PM   #6
Zedfragg

Download: http://cs.elderscrolls.com/constwiki...p/BSA_Unpacker

Go to the Skyrim directory then the data folder.

In there you want to extract "Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa".
The folder you'll end up with is "sound", place that into your data directory and it'll fix the issue.

*Edit*

As a point, you'll need to revert to a save you have that's BEFORE you try to talk to him.
Zedfragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
donutdan4114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedfragg View Post

The folder you'll end up with is "sound", place that into your data directory and it'll fix the issue.

*Edit*

As a point, you'll need to revert to a save you have that's BEFORE you try to talk to him.
Thanks for trying to help, but my most recent save game before I talked to Esbern is really, really far back...
Old 11-14-2011, 05:03 AM   #8
Zedfragg

That's unfortunate.
Sorry mate, I had the exact same bug in Fallout 3 with someone so I know the frustration.

Since then I've learnt to be a quick save/normal save horder with any besthesda game >.<
Zedfragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:50 PM   #9
Belar192

Thumbs up Thanks

When Esbern didn't say anything i turned on all the subtitles and when he spoke, it would just flash all the text for half a second and he would stand there looking stupid and then move on eventually, so maybe that will work for some of you if this doesn't.

That being said, extracting the VoiceExtras into the data folder with the unpacker worked perfectly for me. Restarted game. Esbern started talking and acting normal.

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2011, 11:26 PM   #10
coopersnow

The BSA thing worked, but I hardly knew how to do it. This is bull, I should NOT have to do this myself. Why can't Bethesda fix the file and patch the game? This is 2 game breaking glitches now.
coopersnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:31 PM   #11
Trafalgar

Why does that happen to some people? (It didn't happen to me)
Trafalgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:55 PM   #12
coopersnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar View Post
Why does that happen to some people? (It didn't happen to me)
I really don't know.. it's the same game. Maybe actions in the game made stuff in the code variable so it's messed up. I think this is more of a file reading problem but I can't explain then how it works for some people.
coopersnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:09 AM   #13
Kiya

have you tried right clicking on the game in your steam library, going to properties->local files tab, and verifying the integrity of the game cache?

If the problem is being caused by a corrupted file then that might fix it.
Kiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:29 AM   #14
HoboAndShotgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedfragg View Post

*Edit*

THANKS! Worked perfectly and i didn't even have to revert back to the save before i talked to him.
HoboAndShotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:42 AM   #15
ZakTheEvil

I just remember that I had to do some long convincing to have him let me in. But my main quest broke later... so save often. I hear that a patch fixing the quests is coming. But yeah, it's annoying. I had to use commands to complete several side quests and I still have stuck, unfinished quests in my list. To save often but to avoid going to the menu I hit T to wait and just hit Enter again to wait an hour and the game creates a save, it takes less clicking that normal full save and Quick Saves don't go far back if you need to recover from a broken quest.

If someone knows a key to create full saves quickly please post.
ZakTheEvil is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V