Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 11-13-2011, 10:35 PM   #1
bes

Fix, but not, for the Bulldozer CPU, about games crashing..

PLEASE BE CAREFUL!!! ...YOU CAN MESS UP YOUR START UP FOR WINDOWS IF YOU DON'T FOLLOW EVERYTHING EXACTLY!!!...unless you already have experience with this stuff...

Ok ...there are some games that just REFUSE to run on a Bulldozer CPU(lock up, then blue screen of death,then restart), due to the way they are coded, I have a short list of games that I have that don't work..

Now, I found a solution to the problem, the games play, but not very well..so ill tell you what I did, and what games crash, that now work and my result..
-----------------------------------------------------
For starters im using Windows 7 64bit SP1 and a Bulldozer FX-8150(8-core), use AMD system monitor or a desktop gadget to monitor cores, so you can tell if this is working...and this is what I did:

I went to .... START -->
I typed this in the search box: MSCONFIG -->
pressed enter-->
click on the "boot" tab(if using 2 operating systems,make sure you pick/click the right one before going to the next step below!..)-->
clicked on "advanced options"-->
click on the "number of processors" box-->
select 1 core from the drop down box-->
click on "ok" -->
click on "apply" -->
click on "ok"--->
then a box should come up telling you to restart, restart the computer..

Once the computer is back on it should be running on 1 core, your games should play now...

MY results with the games that were crashing before I did this:

Deus EX: Human Revolution ---> result after doing above: game runs but its very sluggish, no crashing issues, loads levels very slow,stuttering sound,tried to increase core count from 1 but it would crash just like before..

Lord of the Rings: War in the North ---> result after doing above: game runs but its very sluggish, no crashing issues, loads levels very slow,stuttering sound,tried to increase core count from 1 but it would crash just like before..

Portal 2 ---> result after doing above: game runs for like 5min, then crashes, BUT the crash doesn't restart the computer like before, it basically locks up with "game stopped responding" error,tried to increase core count from 1 but it would crash just like before..

Red Faction Armageddon ---> result after doing above: game runs but slightly sluggish, it only gets very sluggish when a lot of destruction is going on,stuttering sound,tried to increase core count from 1 but it would crash just like before..

To go back to the normal amount of cores:

I went to .... START -->
I typed this in the search box: MSCONFIG -->
pressed enter-->
went the the "general" tab-->
click on the "normal startup" button-->
click on "apply"-->
click on "ok"
Then a box should come up telling you to restart, restart the computer..
Then your computer should be back to normal...

IF WINDOWS WONT START UP THEN YOU NEED TO DO THIS:

Right before Windows starts up hit the F8 button, it should bring up start up options, click on safe mode to tell the computer to start in safe mode, then follow the instructions in the "To go back to the normal amount of cores:" section above, that should fix the problem..

Last edited by bes: 11-13-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:44 PM   #2
borg_7_of_9

Why not just set it to 4 cores in bios...
or set 4 cores at boot?

I assume you tried it and it didn't work?

Is there a way to select cores?

Thinking about it probably not that's probably why some games still crash, 1 core would be 1 bulldozer module with is still 2 cores in a way..

Last edited by borg_7_of_9: 11-13-2011 at 10:57 PM.
borg_7_of_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:46 PM   #3
bes

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg_7_of_9 View Post
Why not just set it to 4 cores in bios...
or set 4 cores at boot?

I assume you tried it and it didn't work?
That setting is disabled in my BIOS, no option for it there..

When I had my AMD 1090T in this same motherboard it was there, but its gone now that I have the Bulldozer CPU in..

My BIOS is already updated to the newest one... F6
bes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
borg_7_of_9

well get some liquid helium and oc the sucker to 8G that should stop the stutter a little...

I dunno what else to say, has AMD made any attempt to fix this as yet?
Have they acknowledged the problem, I'm a little behind ON BD..
Old 11-13-2011, 11:08 PM   #5
bes

Quote:
I dunno what else to say, has AMD made any attempt to fix this as yet?
Have they acknowledged the problem, I'm a little behind ON BD..
I tried to contact AMD about this, but they know there is a coding problem, they have known from the start, they claim they will push a new BIOS update for the AMD motherboards on the board manufacturers, but it hasn't happened yet..

BUT the developers can avoid the problem by coding the games to utilize the CPU properly(the devs for the other 3 games refuse to talk to me about the problem so out of luck on those games, very annoying)..

BUT supposedly WindowsXP,Vista,Windows 7 aren't coded for it either, Windows 8 supposedly will be though..

I been talking with VALVE support about Portal 2, maybe they will make a patch or something .. I been giving them ALL my error messages and told them everything I have done to try to fix it, and followed their troubleshooting instructions ..

Last edited by bes: 11-13-2011 at 11:44 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:27 PM   #6
borg_7_of_9

I can see why some DEV's don't wish to go thought 1000's of lines of code that work's on Intell and Older AMD hardware it would almost be easier to change game engine rather than recode for BD.
Then what affect does recoding for BD have on other platform's

obviously win8 will address some of these issues if not all...
Old 11-13-2011, 11:53 PM   #7
bes

Quote:
I can see why some DEV's don't wish to go thought 1000's of lines of code that work's on Intell and Older AMD hardware it would almost be easier to change game engine rather than recode for BD.
Then what affect does recoding for BD have on other platform's

obviously win8 will address some of these issues if not all...
Yeah, I have ANOTHER solution but I didn't mention it, because it wont help most people...

I put my AMD 1090T in another motherboard, a socket AM2+ with a BIOS update for AMD 1090T.

Basically I built another computer with old parts I had laying around the house..

So the games that wont work on the bulldozer system, should still be able to run on the 1090T system..

Then I hooked both computers up to the same monitor, since the monitor has 3 types of connectors on the back(VGA,HDMI,DVI), when I wanna game on 1 or the other I just push on the button to switch ports..
Old 11-14-2011, 12:08 AM   #8
borg_7_of_9

NICE lol Good luck nice to see someone trying anything possible..
Old 11-14-2011, 07:17 PM   #9
dosbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bes View Post
BUT the developers can avoid the problem by coding the games to utilize the CPU properly(the devs for the other 3 games refuse to talk to me about the problem so out of luck on those games, very annoying)..
LOL at the finger pointing, especially when the games worked just fine on previous AMD and Intel hardware.

If the Sandy Bridge chipset issue should have taught you something, it's that being an early adopter is a bad idea.
dosbox is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems