Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V

Old 11-14-2011, 12:44 AM   #1
mxoagentjohnson

Cant enjoy this game.

Not like this, not with this horrible optimization.

I turn vsynch and mouse acceleration off, but regardless of what i do i get HORRIBLE mouse stutter/hitching when turning that i cant cure unless i use a GAmepad, even then its noticable with the screen tearing.

Im on my last legs, i dont know what to do before i leave skyrim, a game i was wetting myself with anticipation, to gather dust on my steam collection.

I'm running a 6870 @ default
i7 2600 @ 3.4
6 gigs of ram
1920x1080 resolution
Graphics, doesnt matter what they are set to same result, maxed out with lowest shadows always @ 60fps

can anyone please help? this is starting to depress me :/

Last edited by mxoagentjohnson: 11-14-2011 at 12:48 AM.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:46 AM   #2
Suspicious

You haven't mentioned your video hardware.
Suspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:47 AM   #3
Ignatius Reilly

Yeah, it's bad alright. Hopefully there is a patch soon. (LOL)

Add this to your your Skyrim ini file under Controls. (Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/skyrim/Skyrim) Tweak to your hearts content, if it helps that is.

fMouseHeadingYScale=0.005
fMouseHeadingXScale=0.010

It's been pretty good for me. Not so much like I'm swimming in molasses.
Ignatius Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:48 AM   #4
Wertoret

I feel happy that this is not a "the game is not exactly how I wanted it therefore I don't enjoy it" thread.

having said that, what mouse are you using? I found that despite all reports of mouse lag, my old logitech gaming mouse had no problem with this (it costed me $50), so maybe with a better mouse you see an improvement
Wertoret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:50 AM   #5
mxoagentjohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wertoret View Post
I feel happy that this is not a "the game is not exactly how I wanted it therefore I don't enjoy it" thread.

having said that, what mouse are you using? I found that despite all reports of mouse lag, my old logitech gaming mouse had no problem with this (it costed me $50), so maybe with a better mouse you see an improvement
I was considering that for some time, i use a default basic mouse that costs little to nothig that i got pretty much when the one my old old pc came with broke, so its value is what £5 and it is as old as 06 Heh

Was thinking of purchasing a Cyborg R.A.T 7 on payday friday!

Any thoughts on that mouse?
mxoagentjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:52 AM   #6
mxoagentjohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post
Yeah, it's bad alright. Hopefully there is a patch soon. (LOL)

Add this to your your Skyrim ini file under Controls. (Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/skyrim/Skyrim) Tweak to your hearts content, if it helps that is.

fMouseHeadingYScale=0.005
fMouseHeadingXScale=0.010

It's been pretty good for me. Not so much like I'm swimming in molasses.
I cannot find a Skyrim.ini file in steam, but i can in MyGames, but no controls section, any advice?
Old 11-14-2011, 12:55 AM   #7
Wertoret

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxoagentjohnson View Post
I cannot find a Skyrim.ini file in steam, but i can in MyGames, but no controls section, any advice?
it's skyrimprefs.ini
Wertoret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 12:55 AM   #8
mxoagentjohnson

I'm heading off to work now, all suggestions made in this forum would be amazingly appreciated, if you feel you are up for helping a fan my page can be found at http://steamcommunity.com/id/kortalmombat Add me and i will be back in 6 hours, as i say any help is so appreciated, i just want to get into my game!
Old 11-14-2011, 12:59 AM   #9
Interslicery

Quote:
Its in the skyrim folder, in the folder called skyrim. The actual file is called SkyrimPrefs
Interslicery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:02 AM   #10
Pheonix Wright

Quote:
Not like this, not with this horrible optimization.

I turn vsynch and mouse acceleration off, but regardless of what i do i get HORRIBLE mouse stutter/hitching when turning that i cant cure unless i use a GAmepad, even then its noticable with the screen tearing.

Im on my last legs, i dont know what to do before i leave skyrim, a game i was wetting myself with anticipation, to gather dust on my steam collection.

I'm running a 6870 @ default
i7 2600 @ 3.4
6 gigs of ram
1920x1080 resolution
Graphics, doesnt matter what they are set to same result, maxed out with lowest shadows always @ 60fps

I have the same problem oddly it mostly seems to occur indoors also on 2x 6870 with crossfire disabled and an i5 2500k @4.00Ghz. Runs smooth with a controller and game settings make no difference.

btw do objects also look really jittery when you swing them with the mouse?
Pheonix Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:06 AM   #11
Temar

Quote:
After playing with these horrible controls for 5 minutes, I immediately went to the next store and bought a Xbox 360 controller. I did not regret it, this game is ment to be played with a xbox controller.

Fighting is a bit clumsy with a controller and unfortunately you can no longer assign numbers to your favorites. Still, playing with a controller is much more fun than constantly getting frustrated from the horrible k+m control scheme.

EDIT: And the game does not stutter when playing with a controller.
Temar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:53 AM   #12
mxoagentjohnson

A controller really does help i agree, but still a keyboard and mouse fix for the horrendous stutter would help, and yes with vsynch on i do get that annoying lag indoors but off i dont, just stuttering when turning with mouse and the screen tearing from having it off
Old 11-14-2011, 09:01 AM   #13
RageMonkey

I have a 2 yr old vid card that was top of the line THEN. With Skyrim (and other high profile games), I have to tweak my settings to get it to run smoothly. My current settings run very smoothly yet have great detail.

However, I'm playing in 1680 res (while you are playing in 1920x1050 it seems.

Perhaps lowing your resolution, then opening up console and typing:

FoV=122

will help out a bit. The "FoV" command is a "field of view" command that helps make the visible area on the screen larger (compensating for the slightly lowered resolution).
RageMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:04 AM   #14
mxoagentjohnson

Thanks for the suggestion RageMonkey, i will give it a try!

If anyones free, add me, it really helps having a techy guy close
Old 11-14-2011, 09:18 AM   #15
mxoagentjohnson

Right, updates.

Turning the graphics all the way down gave me less noticable turn stutter outside of towns, but in towns same , and gave me a weird seethrough dark green glitch every so often.

Screen tearing was a lot more apparent thought because of higher frames per second.

Playing in windowed mode and a lower resolution had no help.

So i cannot see how it is my fault now, with the xbox controller i can barely notice the stutter when turning but the screen tearing is apparent, turning VSYNC on in the actual Catalyst control centre helps a bit.

I would leave vsync on and play with the controller BUT vsynch causes horrendous stutter and lag issues when inside buildings or close to props, muc like New vegas and fallout 3 did for me

So im at a stuck here, i have no idea where to go from now besides getting rid of my old mouse and buying a new one.

Cyborg R.A.T 7 here i come?

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V