Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Last Remnant, The

Old 11-14-2011, 02:13 AM   #1
Soviet_j

Talking DO not Buy! (or I flushed my last remnant)

I am including a post a I made on someone elses topic so as not to have it lost in the shuffle of replies.
I dont want there to be any doubt this game is not worth your time or your money (if you read my post basically I got it for free, so its biggest crime is wasting my time)

Im 13 hours in and I dont even know why i bothered getting this far.
Everyone seems to like this game for no good reason. I suspect people are just slogging it out (because they love the genre) and are actually unaware what makes a good game.

This game is boring to the extreme. It is poorly designed. From the constant loading for no reason. To the sterile enviroment. i.e. characters telling you not to leave a place but no triggers or hints of what to do while there. etc..

The story I barely care about. So abstract and so utterly unconvincing as to be a waste of time.

The characters I kinda care about. Vague characters with no real background or desires to speak of. You kinda just like a couple purely based on looks not because they have any type of soul.

Combat mechanics: o god its so punishingly boring and detached. Like they say there is minimal interaction. ( an attempt at trying to be ogre battle yet failing (i love ogre battle)) but its all automated. and then theres the instant button press bonus thingy. which even when done hardly is much of a bonus. I'm slowly reaching a point where im turboing all combats and turning off the button thingy. Cause the little interaction there is during the annoyingly boring combats is pointless.

I feel like im watching a bad anime movie which is being interrupted by a crappy game.

Because me and the OP have hundreds of games makes this polished turd look obviously bad.

People who like this game are either:
1) Hardcore Hammer Legion Members of the genre (whether they realise it or not)
2) So poor they bought this game and play very few games. So their frame of reference is dim to say the least.
3) Young kids who dont realize krap when they step in it.
4) Folks just plain happy to play anything (maybe they just woke from a coma who knows)

If you dont realize how bad this game is think on this:

Within 8 months after release the game went on sale for 75% off.
Don't believe me? Look at the steam recent news for The last remnant.

That means steam had so many licences to sell and no buyers they were panicking.
I myself bought the game indirectly through buying a square enix super developer pack sale.
I find it hard to complain about a game i essentially got for free.

FOR FREE

Yet it still sucks.

DO NOT BUY! (There are more better games by far then there are worse.)
Old 11-16-2011, 01:19 AM   #2
tamalero

protip.. the game was older .. it was sold retail before STEAM finally offered it..
so its older than just "8 months"

btw, dont blame the game if you

1.have a poor system (slow loading times.. in my machine they are less than 1 sec).
2.You prefer the hax and slash type games and not RPGs.
3.If you hate strategy movements(this game needs a lot of strategy.. from union formations, weapons, upgrades, shields, way of attack/defence, and even the places/enemies you attack and the circumstances of the battlefield.
4.If you hate active system ( ala mariorpg crits)
5.If you hate being a completitionist (Ie, you just go trough the story line.. trying to ignore the weapons, bonuses, secondary missions.. etc..)

Last edited by tamalero: 11-16-2011 at 01:23 AM.
tamalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 06:41 AM   #3
OniNeoxes

MY OPINION = FACT
NOW LET ME LIST SEVERAL INSULTS ON PEOPLE WHO LIKE THIS GAME
On a serious note. I'm a few hours into this game and I must say, I like the mechanics that make it all about strategy. Lots of in-game content and amazing music. But each to their own opinion.
I'd say buy this if you have an Xbox 360 Controller and love extreme amounts of content inside a unique RPG element.
OniNeoxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:51 PM   #4
wasteomind

Quote:
Originally Posted by OniNeoxes View Post
MY OPINION = FACT
Pretty much this. There was no need to make a new thread just to scream your own opinion and get attention. You got the game for free and feel the need to discourage others from buying it by insulting them? Where do you get off thinking that your opinion should be gospel?

I mentioned in the other thread I have over 400 hours on this game and enjoyed all of it. People can form thier own opinions and don't need you insulting them for their personal interests.

I have hundreds of games ranging across multiple platforms ranging back to the Atari 2600 and Apple 2E. I was playing in arcades as a kid when that was the place to play video games. I've been playing video games for over 25 years. My frame of reference is hardly dim.

Your opinion is terrible, ignorant, and short sighted. Your method of explaining it is equally so.

PS By your logic, how terrible is Batman Arkham Asylum since it has been 75% off multiple times as well?

Last edited by wasteomind: 11-16-2011 at 11:53 PM.
wasteomind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:48 AM   #5
Soviet_j

Talking PUH-LEEEZE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasteomind View Post
You got the game for free and feel the need to discourage others from buying it by insulting them? Where do you get off thinking that your opinion should be gospel?

I have hundreds of games ranging across multiple platforms ranging back to the Atari 2600 and Apple 2E. I was playing in arcades as a kid when that was the place to play video games. I've been playing video games for over 25 years. My frame of reference is hardly dim.

Your opinion is terrible, ignorant, and short sighted. Your method of explaining it is equally so.

PS By your logic, how terrible is Batman Arkham Asylum since it has been 75% off multiple times as well?
I do feel the need to inform not discourage. If even one person who was hemming and hawing over this doesnt buy it my work was done.

Also I am not insulting anyone especially potential customers.(if you read my post im refering to players like you) I'm referring to what is causeing folks like you to get all buzzed about it.

My logic is that the game promises something it doesnt deliver. and if you chose (note u are choosing this) to be insulted that means u feel ur aligned to one of my examples.

Based on your supposed experiance, u should realize that even ff 1 plays better then this game. Hell i would play Venture on my 2600 over this game. its vapid and a waste of time. There is no control in combat its the illusion of control (there is no strategy because your characters take care of it). Which is sad cause it has potential as a ogre battle buster. But they flopped making it. Be honest the combats are weak compared to other games.

The equipment options are laughable in that u can only equip ur main guy not ur army. ( when i say equip i mean give him a weapon, mayeb a shield, a belt, necklace and soem bracelets. thats it people)

The combat options based on purchasing attacks through action points is so basic. (when compared to other games using this system. as in selection, u choose a basic attack u press x to make sure ur characters are doing the best they can and then the game plays itself)

The story and characetr are just barely ok. But very weak when compared to other games in the genre.

Honestly the feelign i get playing this game is its targeted to an audiance of 8-12 year olds (ease of controls and simple nature of it).

THats not a bad thing. It just should be upfront about it.
Soviet_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:54 AM   #6
Soviet_j

Wink I concur somewhat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OniNeoxes View Post
MY OPINION = FACT
On a serious note. I'm a few hours into this game and I must say, I like the mechanics that make it all about strategy. Lots of in-game content and amazing music. But each to their own opinion.
I'd say buy this if you have an Xbox 360 Controller and love extreme amounts of content inside a unique RPG element.

I wish it had all those things you list. BUt it really really doesnt. Strategy in TLR is super basic, makes the depth of pokemon seem like chess. (Which in many ways it is, I have more control, over a stinking snorlax then i do over a army in this game)

I agree the music is ok.

I am not saying your opinions and feelings about the game is wrong.
You found something you like and are challenged by the combat. I do recommend you get ogre battle (not tactics) or play pokemon or pick up final fantasy or dragon warrior. any of these show u what real depth and character in a battle is like. especially ogre battle.

I am just saying to a general audiance it is a game that is not very well crafted. (unless its for kids/nongamers to which i say they made an awesoem game that has easy to understand mechanics)
Old 11-17-2011, 02:01 AM   #7
Soviet_j

Thumbs up Pizza Anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamalero View Post
protip.. the game was older .. it was sold retail before STEAM finally offered it..
so its older than just "8 months"

btw, dont blame the game if you

1.have a poor system (slow loading times.. in my machine they are less than 1 sec).
2.You prefer the hax and slash type games and not RPGs.
3.If you hate strategy movements(this game needs a lot of strategy.. from union formations, weapons, upgrades, shields, way of attack/defence, and even the places/enemies you attack and the circumstances of the battlefield.
4.If you hate active system ( ala mariorpg crits)
5.If you hate being a completitionist (Ie, you just go trough the story line.. trying to ignore the weapons, bonuses, secondary missions.. etc..)
in regards to this post.

1) I never complained of loading times other then it shouldnt occur on a pc. There is nothign that needs loading (after its loaded once, on my rig anyways) My loading time is 10 secs or less. Still annoying. cause there is no good reason for it. (again on my rig)

2) an rpg is any game wher eu take a role. so ur comment there is broad. BUt it doesnt hold up. because the game has poor interaction during combat allowing the user to only make basic decisions. (even though it seems like a lot is happening realyl not much is.)

3) is BS straight up. Trust me play a better game and see. (i.e. any jrpg other then this. even old stuff like dragon warrior or final fantasy or miracle warriors or phantsasy star or pokemon or ogre battle or really anything..)
4) funny you should mention that mario rpg is waaaaaaaay better then this game.

5) the game is vacantly basic and the quests so obvious to a long time jrpger as to make this statement invalid. There is no hunt for things. Or rare objects BECAUSE YOU DONT NEED THEM (for the record in case u get confused I am a completionist and it is not hard at all to do everything)

Last edited by Soviet_j: 11-17-2011 at 02:14 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:13 AM   #8
Soviet_j

Cool Reviews From many sources

Square Enix reported that the game had sold 580,000 copies, including both PC and Xbox 360 versions, by March 31, 2009, which was less than two weeks after the game was first released on PC. The Last Remnant received a largely mixed reception. It received a more positive reception in Japan than elsewhere, something which the developers credit to different styles of reviewing between cultures. They also felt that the Japanese reviewers scored the game too high.

Another common complaint among reviewers was the battle system, which were described as "repetitive" by GamePro, frustrating by IGN in their Xbox review and "boring" and the worst part of the game by 1UP. G4 also criticized the battle system, saying that the game played itself.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:19 PM   #9
wasteomind

And what marketing material did you read or see that gave you the impression that all these supposed features you wanted were in fact included in the game, then disappointed you to find out they weren't?

Did you just assume because other games had it that this would? It certainly sounds like it, and in that case, you only have yourself to blame for high expectations not being met. A look at just about any review out there probably would have outlined these limitations.

Its funny to see people condemn the battle system because it auto plays. It is no different then old school turn based RPGs. You pick a command and all the characters take their turns until the round is over. Nothing changed here except it is on a bigger scale, a much bigger scale. If you get bored watching it, that is your own problem, some people like watching the fighting. They added a turbo mode to speed up the lengthy fights because people ed too much about it. If you don't like turn based RPGs don't play them. There is no need to convince others they won't like it before they even try it.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:02 PM   #10
Soviet_j

Save Yourselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasteomind View Post
And what marketing material did you read or see that gave you the impression that all these supposed features you wanted were in fact included in the game, then disappointed you to find out they weren't?

Did you just assume because other games had it that this would? It certainly sounds like it, and in that case, you only have yourself to blame for high expectations not being met. A look at just about any review out there probably would have outlined these limitations.

Its funny to see people condemn the battle system because it auto plays. It is no different then old school turn based RPGs. You pick a command and all the characters take their turns until the round is over. Nothing changed here except it is on a bigger scale, a much bigger scale. If you get bored watching it, that is your own problem, some people like watching the fighting. They added a turbo mode to speed up the lengthy fights because people ed too much about it. If you don't like turn based RPGs don't play them. There is no need to convince others they won't like it before they even try it.
NO you still dont get why this game is bad. PLease for the love of god play a good turn based rpg (especially one with multiple characters)I recommend original ogre battle (not tactics) and you will see a combat system that is wholly interactive and strategic. NOt limited to just 2-5 decisions. They have options and nuances.

They dropped the ball. They admit they dropped the ball.

Expect a better sequel. Noone should have to settle for crap.

For those coming in late here is a summary:
Me: game sucks for several reasons. (reasons given)
Him: Game is awesome
Me: Dont beleive me or the other players who think it sucks heres reviewers (reviewer reasons given)
Him: Game is awesome. Stop insulting me.
Me: He likes the game. BUt the designers didnt. (Example already given)
Him: I like battles.

Me: Sigh

The end.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:52 PM   #11
Zloth

Ogre Battle was a very hard-to-find game that would be fairly tricky to get running on a PC without doing some pirating.

It's also NOT a turn-based RPG. It looks to be an RTS/RPG hybrid.
Zloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:59 PM   #12
wasteomind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet_j View Post
NO you still dont get why this game is bad. PLease for the love of god play a good turn based rpg (especially one with multiple characters)I recommend original ogre battle (not tactics) and you will see a combat system that is wholly interactive and strategic. NOt limited to just 2-5 decisions. They have options and nuances.

They dropped the ball. They admit they dropped the ball.

Expect a better sequel. Noone should have to settle for crap.

For those coming in late here is a summary:
Me: game sucks for several reasons. (reasons given)
Him: Game is awesome
Me: Dont beleive me or the other players who think it sucks heres reviewers (reviewer reasons given)
Him: Game is awesome. Stop insulting me.
Me: He likes the game. BUt the designers didnt. (Example already given)
Him: I like battles.

Me: Sigh

The end.
That is a pretty poor summary of our discussion but if that is how you are perceiving this exchange then so be it. Western reviewers scored it bad because culturally, this is not a game developed with the western culture's A.D.D. and need for immediate satisfaction in mind. A lot of jRPGs are slow paced and feature a lot of dialogue and cut scenes, which western gamers don't care for. Ever play Xenosaga or MGS?

Western gamers tend to want to jump in and rambo everything. They see a cut scene and spam buttons to skip it because they mostly have a mentality of "I'm playing a game, I want to play it not watch it." Eastern gamers don't have this same mentality, so a lot of that positive reception is lost in translation. This has been discussed to death for years in gaming. How many people love Metal Gear Solid but complain about the cut scenes and want to skip them? I'll watch them every time I play through the game.

Here is a perfect example of western mentality in a news article from today: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...Game-Cutscenes Dont forget to read the comments too. They illustrate this even more.

Also did you bother to read the article about the developers saying it was scored too high by eastern reviewers? It was in regards to the technical issues regarding using the UE3 engine when traditionally Square had used engines built in house like Crystal tools. A lot of developers have cited issues developing on UE3 thanks to poor documentation and support. Technically TLR was a cluster on Xbox 360 hardware. It just wasn't well suited to the scale of what they were doing. The PC version on decent PC, fixed this.

Last edited by wasteomind: 11-17-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:36 PM   #13
Prinny Plush

How the heck is this game trying to be like Ogre Battle? Have you actually played Ogre Battle?! It is nowhere near like it.

Story I didn't really pay attention to. I'd say it's just meh.

Honestly, you stated 'constant loading' which may not be a complaint about the load times itself, but really: is 3-4 seconds of loading that much of an issue?

The turbo function was added to the PC version because the animations were too slow. The QTE button presses during battle merely give you advantages of overriding the enemy's turn or blocking/parrying/counter attacking depending on the character and equipment.

I could attempt to find other games that follow the same logic of: "That means steam had so many licences to sell and no buyers they were panicking."

You find it hard to complain about the game, yet you did. Congrats. Might as well not complain about it all.

It's your own opinion so it is merely just that: opinion. Which I'm fine with. Different people like different things. But you shouldn't really just say don't buy this game because you found it boring. The topic title should be more like "reasons why I disliked this game".

Additionally, with the reviewer scores, I'm unsure if they ever fixed it, but Steam was using the Xbox360 metacritic scores for some reason.
Prinny Plush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:58 PM   #14
Zloth

That whole cutscene thing is certainly an odd bit of psychology. Look at what he's thinking: when playing a game he doesn't want to see movies. But he makes movies so we can be pretty certain he enjoys watching them. It's the mix that he doesn't like. It's a cheese and chocolate thing for him - individually they are fine but together, not so much. I wonder why that would be?

P.S. Soviet_J's "summary" sitting right there on the same page as what was actually said proves what this guy is.
Zloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:34 PM   #15
tamalero

Quote:
I do feel the need to inform not discourage. If even one person who was hemming and hawing over this doesnt buy it my work was done.

Also I am not insulting anyone especially potential customers.(if you read my post im refering to players like you) I'm referring to what is causeing folks like you to get all buzzed about it.

My logic is that the game promises something it doesnt deliver. and if you chose (note u are choosing this) to be insulted that means u feel ur aligned to one of my examples.

Based on your supposed experiance, u should realize that even ff 1 plays better then this game. Hell i would play Venture on my 2600 over this game. its vapid and a waste of time. There is no control in combat its the illusion of control (there is no strategy because your characters take care of it). Which is sad cause it has potential as a ogre battle buster. But they flopped making it. Be honest the combats are weak compared to other games.

The equipment options are laughable in that u can only equip ur main guy not ur army. ( when i say equip i mean give him a weapon, mayeb a shield, a belt, necklace and soem bracelets. thats it people)

The combat options based on purchasing attacks through action points is so basic. (when compared to other games using this system. as in selection, u choose a basic attack u press x to make sure ur characters are doing the best they can and then the game plays itself)

The story and characetr are just barely ok. But very weak when compared to other games in the genre.

Honestly the feelign i get playing this game is its targeted to an audiance of 8-12 year olds (ease of controls and simple nature of it).

THats not a bad thing. It just should be upfront about it.
the whole thing reeks as a bunch of bullcrap.
Pretty sure you're now pushing for the straws now.

no strategy? every single action you choose when attacking, can change the outcome of the battle.. specially with important boses or high tier rare monsters.

You just ordered your unit to attack this union while your other union is getting owned? so bad!
You moved way too far? you cannot target this XXX unit unless you waste a turn closing in!.
All your units are using a weak weapon of certain modifier.. the enemy is immune to this modifier.. well so bad for you!.
you didnt helped one of the characters in their personal quests? sucks to be you.. no stat bonuses for you!.

I'm pretty sure you should just wind your opinions... but stop forcing them into others..
everyone could just download the demo or see the battle videos to see if they should buy the game or not.
remember most of the people who hate this game. keep pushing the XBOX reviews (which are terrible.. but due mostly of the huge limitations of the hardware) as mantra.

this is almost similar to the famous image macro of "STOP LIKING WHAT I DINT LIKE!"

http://i.imgur.com/VCDgg.jpg

Just say you dont like.. and carry on.
Not need to bring your 54326436435 reasons why you hate the game.. and then force everyone, saying they should hate this game.. just because you said so.

Quote:
in regards to this post.

1) I never complained of loading times other then it shouldnt occur on a pc. There is nothign that needs loading (after its loaded once, on my rig anyways) My loading time is 10 secs or less. Still annoying. cause there is no good reason for it. (again on my rig)

2) an rpg is any game wher eu take a role. so ur comment there is broad. BUt it doesnt hold up. because the game has poor interaction during combat allowing the user to only make basic decisions. (even though it seems like a lot is happening realyl not much is.)

3) is BS straight up. Trust me play a better game and see. (i.e. any jrpg other then this. even old stuff like dragon warrior or final fantasy or miracle warriors or phantsasy star or pokemon or ogre battle or really anything..)
4) funny you should mention that mario rpg is waaaaaaaay better then this game.

5) the game is vacantly basic and the quests so obvious to a long time jrpger as to make this statement invalid. There is no hunt for things. Or rare objects BECAUSE YOU DONT NEED THEM (for the record in case u get confused I am a completionist and it is not hard at all to do everything)
YOU DID COMPLAIN..
you said:
Quote:
It is poorly designed. From the constant loading for no reason
on point #2... when you start bringing "u ur". It almost instantly makes me confirm you're an immature brat who wants everything their way and only their way.

point #3 Oh I've played many games, thank you. My collection of games is probably bigger than 500.. I dont know the exact amount since I dont care.. I play them to entertain me, not to brag and wave my supposed "credentials" on a forum.
From System shock 2, to Bioshock, to Starcraft 1 and 2, to Supreme Commander, Deus Ex human revolution, etc.. I've played them.
the only games I suck and I hate (and thus Don't play them.. including not going to their forums to bash them just because I dont like) are simulation games.

point #5
almost all the quests, regardless of what games.. will always fit in the classic "kill monster" "fetch XXX".
but unlike WOW and other games I've seen..that just tell you "LOL FETCH THIS". TLR drives the lore and sometimes smaller stories related to them.
also ....when you tossed the "you do not need them", it is now clear for me.... how you probably got owned in the first parts of the game.. then you got so severely butthurt/angry that you had to close the game and start bickering on this forum to show your dissatisfaction.

Special items are REQUIRED as they affect the final boss or certain gameplays..
Special items include REMNANTS you can summon.. WEAPONS.. special skills based on the weapons.. and also tons of "SPECIAL LEADERS" you can hire and unlock when you do certain things.

things that you clearly never knew.. probably caused by your behavior of closing the game in the first early defeat.

Last edited by tamalero: 11-23-2011 at 08:48 PM.
tamalero is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Last Remnant, The