Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Saints Row The Third

Old 07-18-2012, 10:16 AM   #16
Chingalling

1 file failed, wont open

Ive been having the same problem, just got rage and after more than a day of downloading it wont open at all, window comes up that says preparing to open, but then nothing after that. Ive tried doing the verification thing and it tells me that one file fails and will be reacquired, but theres no sign of that happening.

Any tips or solutions would be helpful. I havent gotten past the preparing to run screen :/
Chingalling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:31 AM   #17
YpSan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingalling View Post
Ive been having the same problem, just got rage and after more than a day of downloading it wont open at all, window comes up that says preparing to open, but then nothing after that. Ive tried doing the verification thing and it tells me that one file fails and will be reacquired, but theres no sign of that happening.

Any tips or solutions would be helpful. I havent gotten past the preparing to run screen :/
Didn't buy the game yet but had same problem with another game and running steam as administrator solved the issue. Perhaps try that.
YpSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #18
Chingalling

how? ive gone to properties on the game in steam and there was no option for it that i saw, and right clicked on the desktop shortcut and there was no option for run as admin
Old 07-18-2012, 12:15 PM   #19
Chingalling

i found a way to do it, but running as an administrator didnt seem to do anything
Old 07-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #20
Prezombie

Are you running Steam in Administrator mode? Without it you can sometimes have permissions issues which simply fail silently rather than ask permission to edit/add files.
Prezombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:31 AM   #21
Carmichael

I have it happening to me again (it happened a lot when the game first came out), so maybe it has to do with all the people buying it. 'Cause I never heard of it happening after the first week it came out.

EDIT: So after some more testing, I have figured out that DX10 + 11 doesn't work for me, but DX9 does. Not sure if that helps.

Last edited by Carmichael: 07-19-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Carmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #22
Chingalling

thanks for the help, im re-downloading it now to see if something just went wrong initially, i tried opening steam as an admin but didnt do anything different, hopefully itll solve its self, or better yet work after its done downloading, it takes 27 hours to download tho >
Old 07-19-2012, 01:07 PM   #23
Carmichael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingalling View Post
thanks for the help, im re-downloading it now to see if something just went wrong initially, i tried opening steam as an admin but didnt do anything different, hopefully itll solve its self, or better yet work after its done downloading, it takes 27 hours to download tho >
Well I think it has to do with the DX10&11 exe, as i deleted it, and when i went to validate my install, it was the only thing that it downloaded. So something is wrong on the server side.
Carmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:30 PM   #24
MISTERAMD

I'm having the same issue.
MISTERAMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #25
MISTERAMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTERAMD View Post
I'm having the same issue.
Fixed
It wasn't that difficult.
Uninstalling Steam, reinstalling Steam.
I do get a warning that the Steam Servers where too busy.
Guess everybody have troubles?
MISTERAMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:36 PM   #26
Atylonisus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flitskikker View Post
If it's really 82.7 MB that it fails to download, then probably the main game .EXEs fail to download.

I've made a little tool that generates these .EXEs, based on a file you already have (latest update). Just run it and confirm, restart Steam and revalidate.

http://www51.zippyshare.com/v/88886213/file.html

Let me know if it works.

NOTE1: Of course, this is not a virus in any way. If you want to be convinced more, open up the SR3Fix.exe with WinRAR and inspect SR3Fix.bat.

NOTE2: For mods, admins, devs; This program does NOT contain any actual game files. They are generated based on a file the users must have (game_launcher.exe).
Giving it a shot now, will let you know.

Also, this thread has the most information on the matter that isn't simply "hurr durr your driver updates." I wish it were stickied. So many people are having trouble with this game, is it so hard to believe that maybe it is more than just a million people's client side specs? Like maybe the game itself is borked, or at least the download?
I know it can sometimes be the case, but I wish that we didn't immediately assume it's somebody's graphics card.

edit
Sorry Flit, no go. My SR3 apparently DOES have the .exes and DX11 files, but your program told me that the game was unable to start because it lacked the MSVCR100D.dll file.

Last edited by Atylonisus: 12-01-2012 at 10:42 PM. Reason: stuff
Atylonisus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:02 AM   #27
orc_dog

I have same problem with one 83MB file. Verify dont help, Steam download this file but still crash.
orc_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #28
Atylonisus

There is still no fix for this problem and I am afraid that this issue has been swept under the rug.
Atylonisus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:59 AM   #29
Nekomancer

A single file failing sounds like Saints Row The Third uses CEG copy protection.
CEG encrypts a file with a unique key based on your account and PC. Such an encrypted file MUST fail the hash check when you verify the integrity of game cache files since it differs from the original unencrypted file.

But this is not related to the crashing issue.
Nekomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #30
orc_dog

I got response from Steam support. Looks like usual "update your drivers" stuff.

Quote:
Hello,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

If you are currently running Vista or Windows 7, please complete the instructions in the following link:

Title: Windows 7 and Vista Troubleshooting
Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_a...5688-IFHZ-2170

If you are running in Windows XP, take the following steps:
1) Exit Steam.
2) Go to the "Start" menu, select "Run", type "regedit" and click "OK".
3) Navigate to the following registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\VALVE
4) Right click and select "Permissions"
5) Check the "Allow" boxes for "Admin" and "System" for both "Full control" and "Read".

The remaining steps apply to *all* versions of Windows.

Please also verify the GCF for this game as outlined here:

Title: Verifying Game Cache Files (GCF)
Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_a...2037-QEUH-3335

Note: Files may fail to verify. This is normal and can be ignored.

Then test the issue.

If you still have difficulty, you may also need to manually run secondary installers required by this game.

Exit Steam entirely.

Browse to your Saints Row the Third installation folder (Usually C:\Program files\Steam\Steamapps\common\saints row the third\)

Run the following installers:

...\Steamapps\common\saints row the third\DirectX\dxsetup.exe

...\Steamapps\common\saints row the third\vcredist_x86.exe

Reboot your computer and test the issue again.

If the issues persist, please complete these guides:

Title: This game is currently unavailable
Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_a...4595-WEXN-6831

Title: Games do not run after 'Preparing to Launch'
Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_a...6218-USFX-5568

Further support for this title is handled by a third party support department - please follow the instructions below to contact the support provider to troubleshoot this issue:

Title: Saints Row the Third
Link: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...5684-ETAV-5543
orc_dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Saints Row The Third