Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V

Old 11-16-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
Rezuul

"Failed to initialize renderer. Hardware T&L required but not supported by Adapter."

Ok, so Skyrim finally installed today, and it loaded fine, y'know. the little window that says stuff like "Play" and "Options". However, when I selected Play, a tiny window appeared with nothing in it (just a black background), titled "Skyrim" along with a Notice that said "Failed to initialize renderer. Hardware T&L required but not supported by Adapter." After pressing "OK" on the notice, the window closed itself and it was as if Skyrim never loaded. Can anybody give me some insight on how to fix this? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:21 PM   #2
iGaming | Chaos

Need more info, namely computer specs.
iGaming | Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:23 PM   #3
Jgamer

according to here they say its a graphics card issue

what video card do you have?
Jgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:29 PM   #4
Rezuul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgamer View Post
according to here they say its a graphics card issue

what video card do you have?
I have no frikkin' clue (I'm not much of a speccy person), but the graphics card was my first suspicion, so I'll go ahead and get a better one (Any recommendations?). Thanks for the quick reply.
Rezuul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:33 PM   #5
iGaming | Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezuul View Post
I have no frikkin' clue (I'm not much of a speccy person), but the graphics card was my first suspicion, so I'll go ahead and get a better one (Any recommendations?). Thanks for the quick reply.
If you don't know what it is, chances are you haven't ever updated your drivers, and that's probably the problem.

Check your dxdiag, will tell you what your gpu is. Type "dxdiag" into the search or run part of your start menu, click on display 1 and tell us what it says next to name.

If you don't want to do that, we'd need to know your specs before recommending you a new card anyway.
iGaming | Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:45 PM   #6
Tower6

its a hardware problem, texture and lighting not high enough version, probably needs version 3.0

Had a look at the box and it does not say which rendering version you need, they've probably assumed that everyone would have the correct version, trouble is assumption is the mother of all mistakes.

Last edited by Tower6: 11-16-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Tower6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:46 PM   #7
Jgamer

am guessing you have an integrated card?
Old 11-16-2011, 11:47 PM   #8
Rezuul

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGaming | Chaos View Post
If you don't know what it is, chances are you haven't ever updated your drivers, and that's probably the problem.

Check your dxdiag, will tell you what your gpu is. Type "dxdiag" into the search or run part of your start menu, click on display 1 and tell us what it says next to name.
Oh okay, erm, lesse here...: Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator 3150.
I only just bought this comp, so I never really had the time or care to check my specs. I assume they'd be in the System tab, and they'd be everything under System Information?
Old 11-16-2011, 11:51 PM   #9
GrimCW

Quote:
I only just bought this comp, so I never really had the time or care to check my specs. I assume they'd be in the System tab, and they'd be everything under System Information?
shelf bought desktop = bad mojo for gaming. go for custom or home built.

laptops = hit and miss unless you know what your looking at. Most of these, labeled as gaming or not, are terrible for gaming. (and most labeled for gaming are over priced and usually having a matching alternate at half price)

it probably doesn't support hardware T&L given that is an integrated chipset, meaning is terribly low quality.

basically an e-machine for basic computer use (homework, work, internet, e-mail, or listening to music, and watching movies. anything but gaming and graphics.)

Last edited by GrimCW: 11-16-2011 at 11:54 PM.
GrimCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:51 PM   #10
Jgamer

Quote:
yah thats an integrated card that will not be able to run skyrim
Old 11-17-2011, 12:28 AM   #11
Rezuul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgamer View Post
yah thats an integrated card that will not be able to run skyrim
Would integrated mean I can't upgrade it without getting a whole new harddrive? I don't know much about this, I'm only computer-fluent externally, the internals don't matter that much to me (Y'know, until Skyrim stuffs up :/).
Old 11-17-2011, 12:43 AM   #12
GrimCW

Quote:
Would integrated mean I can't upgrade it without getting a whole new harddrive? I don't know much about this, I'm only computer-fluent externally, the internals don't matter that much to me (Y'know, until Skyrim stuffs up :/).
first, laptop or desktop?

second, its not your hard drive thats an issue its your GPU (Graphics Processing Unit)

if its laptop, your screwed for the life of the system.

if its desktop, it depends on if the system supports an upgrade, and of what style connector it has.
most store bought don't support much though, so given an intigrated chipset is there, i'd shoot for a "your sh** outta luck" scenario.
GrimCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:23 PM   #13
Sulla Invictus

I have a similar issue!

Just installed Skyrim and am getting "Failed to Initialize Renderer" when I try to Play. I am using Windows XP in Parallels 7 on a Mac. The Mac is a 2.93 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM. OS is OS X Lion 10.7.2. The graphics cards is the ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB. I will note that I recently updated my software to Lion and Parallels 7. None of my Steam games will play at the moment.

I don't think the problem is just the graphics card. I've previously been able to install Windows XP through Boot Camp, and was able to play Shogun: Total War 2 with exactly the same hardware.

Please help! I want to play Skyrim!
Sulla Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:12 PM   #14
antiver

Quote:
Would integrated mean I can't upgrade it
While the answer is "yes," that does NOT mean you *can't* simply turn the integrated video off and "replace" (supplement) it with a more powerful, discrete video card... assuming you're on a desktop, and have room inside to do so (and the required interface available: PCI, AGP, or preferably PCI-Express).

If you *are* on a desktop, we need to know how modern/"fast" your other components are, which dictates how much you can (or should not) spend on a discrete video card.

Skyrim works just fine on cards from a few years ago that are worth $50-100 today, so you're not going to break the bank if you don't want to.

If you're on a laptop, upgrading video won't be an option.
antiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:20 PM   #15
JKflipflop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulla Invictus View Post
Just installed Skyrim and am getting "Failed to Initialize Renderer" when I try to Play. I am using Windows XP in Parallels 7 on a Mac. The Mac is a 2.93 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM. OS is OS X Lion 10.7.2. The graphics cards is the ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB. I will note that I recently updated my software to Lion and Parallels 7. None of my Steam games will play at the moment.

I don't think the problem is just the graphics card. I've previously been able to install Windows XP through Boot Camp, and was able to play Shogun: Total War 2 with exactly the same hardware.

Please help! I want to play Skyrim!
You have to go download and install the drivers for your stuff in windows. The drivers from the Mac side of the house don't transfer over to windows.
JKflipflop is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V