Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Call of Duty series > Modern Warfare 3

Old 11-16-2011, 10:43 PM   #1
doesitmatter

localization.txt missing?

"Fatal error could not load localization.txt please make sure mw3 is run from the correct folder."

help?
Old 11-16-2011, 11:14 PM   #2
Monoochrome

Banned
Verify the Integrity of the Game Cache, problem solved.
Monoochrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:08 AM   #3
Bernie59

I had the same issue, integrity cache files verification didn't fix it. I had to Desisnstall/resinstall the entire game (SP + MP + dedicated server)
Bernie59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:13 AM   #4
Monoochrome

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie59 View Post
I had the same issue, integrity cache files verification didn't fix it. I had to Desisnstall/resinstall the entire game (SP + MP + dedicated server)
It did for me and he should do that first.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:19 AM   #5
doesitmatter

im tech savy but not steam savy. how can i uninstall it and reinstall ot through steam? i should probs keep my config_mp. do i have a single cod mw3.exe install file stored somewhere. because im in the process of re getting 7gb of files that are apprantly missing the validating cahce tells me and the came will be corupt atm untill all the files are dled. it also havent backed it up. thamks for the helps guys
doesitmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:19 AM   #6
Tally_modder

Banned
If verifying the integrity of your local game cache doesn't fix it, simply create a new text file, and name it "localization" (without the quotation marks). Place it in your MW3 install.

Job done!

BTW - this file is simply a file used if you get a crash, and it read info from the text file. It isn't critical to actually run the game, but the executable looks for it when it boots up, hence the fatal error returned.
Tally_modder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:25 AM   #7
Monoochrome

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by doesitmatter View Post
im tech savy but not steam savy. how can i uninstall it and reinstall ot through steam? i should probs keep my config_mp. do i have a single cod mw3.exe install file stored somewhere. because im in the process of re getting 7gb of files that are apprantly missing the validating cahce tells me and the came will be corupt atm untill all the files are dled. it also havent backed it up. thamks for the helps guys
To Uninstall Steam Games you just right-click them in the Steam Library and Uninstall them.

What you're having sounds alot like what I had yesterday, wanted to start it after the Patch, it was somehow corrupted and tossed out the whole localization.txt thing at me, the result was that 19 Files couldn't be verified and had to be redownloaded - it worked again afterwards.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:32 AM   #8
doesitmatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monoochrome View Post
To Uninstall Steam Games you just right-click them in the Steam Library and Uninstall them.

What you're having sounds alot like what I had yesterday, wanted to start it after the Patch, it was somehow corrupted and tossed out the whole localization.txt thing at me, the result was that 19 Files couldn't be verified and had to be redownloaded - it worked again afterwards.
yeah updated the patch = missing files . and to install it again. i got teh game gifted to me so can i get it back without re downloading 14GB?
Old 11-17-2011, 01:09 AM   #9
Monoochrome

Banned
Quote:
yeah updated the patch = missing files . and to install it again. i got teh game gifted to me so can i get it back without re downloading 14GB?
I'm not quite sure what you mean.

So, the Game was gifted to you, over Steam, right? I mean, not that you mean you got it gifted to you as a Retail Disc, I doubt that, but aslong as I'm not sure I'd rather ask.

I personally don't know of much you could do about it...hmm are you running Win 7? Maybe you can set it back to a earlier point in Time, I however have never tried that in conjunction with a Steam Game, so I have no idea what that would do, if anything.

I guess you will probably have to re-download the files. You can however afterwards, with a right-click on the installed Game in your Steam Library, just like with uninstalling (btw: uninstalling should work through Windows aswell), create a Backup of the Files. You would still have to download Updates, but that would be the case with retail aswell.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:28 AM   #10
doesitmatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monoochrome View Post
I'm not quite sure what you mean.

So, the Game was gifted to you, over Steam, right? I mean, not that you mean you got it gifted to you as a Retail Disc, I doubt that, but aslong as I'm not sure I'd rather ask.

I personally don't know of much you could do about it...hmm are you running Win 7? Maybe you can set it back to a earlier point in Time, I however have never tried that in conjunction with a Steam Game, so I have no idea what that would do, if anything.

I guess you will probably have to re-download the files. You can however afterwards, with a right-click on the installed Game in your Steam Library, just like with uninstalling (btw: uninstalling should work through Windows aswell), create a Backup of the Files. You would still have to download Updates, but that would be the case with retail aswell.

sorry. yeah i meant it was gifted over steam. so to install i had to do the painfull original 14GB download. will i have to redownload it. if so how? thanks for all the help. can i give you a positive rating or something?
Old 11-17-2011, 01:39 AM   #11
Monoochrome

Banned
Quote:
sorry. yeah i meant it was gifted over steam. so to install i had to do the painfull original 14GB download. will i have to redownload it. if so how? thanks for all the help. can i give you a positive rating or something?
If you click on the little scale thingy at the bottom of my Posts you can in theory, you don't have any Rep yet. So, I'm not sure if you can give any out yet.

If you verified the Integrity of the Cache (right-click on the Game in Steam -> Properties -> Look around, it's in one of the Tabs) it will download any Files that are corrupted on it's own, atleast that's what it does by default. However, it will also ONLY redownload those Files, it won't do the whole 14 GBs if a single 5mb File is broken. But, like I said, I don't know of any method of getting around this other then getting a Retail Disc and effectively buying the Game again...or the Backup method. What could be possible, no idea if you can do this, you could personally go to a Friends who has the Game on Steam and ask them to make a Backup of their working Copy for you, I suppose (NOT know, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work) you should be able to use those.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:23 AM   #12
Warrior1724

so if i take my friend backup good idea ?
Warrior1724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:35 AM   #13
DarkManX_BG

I got the same error on launch day when I changed the language for Multiplayer to English (default was German as I live there), but kept the SP to German (because I only wanted to play MP). Verifying the game cache solved it, but I had to redownload 1.5GB or so. When I later on changed the SP to English as well, I only had to download 100-200MB. So your best bet would be to just verify the cache, and if it says you need to download the whole game (which I doubt), then abort and use your friend's backup.
DarkManX_BG is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Call of Duty series > Modern Warfare 3