Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V

Old 11-17-2011, 06:20 AM   #1
ReMaKc

Unhappy Skyrim corrupted save files

This is something that happened after my computer crashed while playing skyrim , my computer just turned off and on and after that i tried to play skyrim again. But when i tried to load the save it says this in a error :
"The savegame could not be loaded because its outdated. Its version is 0 and the current version is 8."

So i tried to load every save file i had but they are all corrupted it says and i dont know what to do now
I also tried to verify integrity of game cache of skyrim but it didnt help. It would be a damn pain to start a new character again , skyrim is awesome but i loved my character so i hope thers any way to fix this :P

Any help will be appreciated i love this game i spent 24 hours of my life into it ! D: And i hope my character is not DEAD FOREVER !
Old 11-17-2011, 06:29 AM   #2
Hirogen

perhaps rename save files and reinstall game? make sure to delete all cache, not sure what to say if that fails. That sux, because of this I will "now" copy my saves and store backups, your pain shall be a warning to all!

Done, copied and saved all my saves to another drive. Oh google it too, I am sure someone had same problem.

Last edited by Hirogen: 11-17-2011 at 06:33 AM.
Hirogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:38 AM   #3
wtfpwnd?

It's odd that all your saved games would be corrupt, that makes me think that your HD is failing. But it sounds like you have more PC issues if it's just turning itself off - PSU maybe?
wtfpwnd? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:58 AM   #4
Hirogen

I am betting on his motherboard.
Hirogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:32 AM   #5
ReMaKc

Guys ! Yeah my computer is having some problems with crashing i think there are some parts that are not compatible with eachohter but now i found a solution for the problem Atleast it worked for me !

I found it in this thread http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php...corrupt-saves/

U just have to start a new game and then wait until the carriage is over in the start and then u load the last save and it worked for me Looks like the same thing wont work for the guy that started the other thread but atleast we have 1 solution .

Im a happy boy now a happy boy !!
ReMaKc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
scientist434

Same Problem

I was able to get some of my saves back using the carriage method, However I was unable to recover any saves that were created after the update from version 1.2 to 1.3. I really wish that steam would let you disable automatic updates. I know you can change the setting but it updated the game even though I have automatic updates set to "Do not automatically update this game". I tried everything including reinstalling windows 7 but the saves still don't work. Thanks a f'ing lot steam.
scientist434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #7
chronicpirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by scientist434 View Post
I was able to get some of my saves back using the carriage method, However I was unable to recover any saves that were created after the update from version 1.2 to 1.3. I really wish that steam would let you disable automatic updates. I know you can change the setting but it updated the game even though I have automatic updates set to "Do not automatically update this game". I tried everything including reinstalling windows 7 but the saves still don't work. Thanks a f'ing lot steam.
That's because all that option does is prevent it from updating automatically in the background.. Even with that setting on it will force you to update any game to the newest version to play it while in online mode.. It states this in the user agreement if I remember correctly.. Understandably lots of people get confused by this, but if you really want it to not auto update you need to set it to offline mode.. Of course again, if I remember right, it forces you to update all your games to go into offline mode so you need to use some trickery to get it to work and let you play a specific version...so it's still kinda balls..
chronicpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #8
chronicpirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by scientist434 View Post
You really think this is steams fault? I'm pretty sure it's not.. If your computer crashes and you find your saves corrupt it's probably something to do with how the game itself handles saves while in game..I would bet anything this would have happened even if skyrim didn't use steam.. You might speculate the game might not have crashed your computer if steam wasn't involved, but that's hearsay and doesn't change the fact that steam wasn't touching the actual saves at all only the game/engine were..
Old 01-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #9
JimG

I don't know if this is revelent here or not, but I had a major game problem that caused me to do a full uninstall of the game and Steam. Once I reloaded the game and steam my hard saves showed back up. I think Steam keeps a copy of the hard saves or at least enough info to reconstruct them on a reinstall.
Jim
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #10
chronicpirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG View Post
I don't know if this is revelent here or not, but I had a major game problem that caused me to do a full uninstall of the game and Steam. Once I reloaded the game and steam my hard saves showed back up. I think Steam keeps a copy of the hard saves or at least enough info to reconstruct them on a reinstall.
Jim

It doesn't. Skyrim doesn't use steam cloud at all. Uninstalling the game doesn't delete your saves located in your "My Documents/My Games/Skyrim/saves" folder.. So most when you reinstalled the game you didn't delete the saves folder.. So there were just there all along.. I guess you could say steam was cool and didn't delete you saves but that's fairly common for games these days. Usually they'll ask if you want to keep them or just not touch them at all. Very few will just remove your saves without asking. Just note it down so you don't think they'll still be there if you wipe your system and reinstall windows
Old 01-13-2012, 11:44 PM   #11
fabiostahl

I always backup my save files to a different folder every now and then.
fabiostahl is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V