Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V

Old 11-17-2011, 09:21 AM   #1
Sgt Nicolai

Playing as mage = Boring?

Hello,

I'm playing my first playthrough as a Melee 2h / Archer hybrid Khajiit and so far it has been enjoyable as all hell. I'm really liking this playstyle. I haven't touched the magic stuff at all except tried some of the destruction spells like flaming etc. It just seems to me that all you do is push buttons down and dodge the enemies.

Is that right? Pick a spell for both hands and circle the enemy while pressing down the mouse buttons? That's how I'm thinking it mostly is. So tell me, am I correct or should I consider playing my next character as a mage and why so?
Old 11-17-2011, 09:27 AM   #2
LordBlargg

Of course low rank spells will be fairly boring. Once you get higher up into them though, you get cool things like dual-summoning massive atronachs, frost tornados, massive explosions and walls of fire.
LordBlargg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:31 AM   #3
KuranesDreamer

Banned
Massive Astronach?

All I've seen, for summoning anyway, is that the more powerful you become, the longer the summon lasts.

Though Frost Astronachs are pretty big.
KuranesDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
setcamper

Trying to keep my Skyrim experience pure (no exploits, guides or OP gear locations), but as a 20 something caster with novice/apprentice spells I feel very weak with lame damage output and a fragile mana pool.

I've been experimenting with everything, and applied very few perks. Lately I find summoning a fire atronach and just wearing heavy armor to be far more effective than trying to cast spells.

I feel like I'd need a much bigger mana pool, more damage output and significantly faster casting times and spell swapping abilities to really enjoy a pure caster in Skyrim.

It's weird too because the casters I come across are nasty and can 2-3 shot me. But nothing in my bag of tricks does close to that kind of damage so I stick with my elfish mace for now.

Last edited by setcamper: 11-17-2011 at 09:33 AM.
setcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:33 AM   #5
CorneliousJD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBlargg View Post
Of course low rank spells will be fairly boring. Once you get higher up into them though, you get cool things like dual-summoning massive atronachs, frost tornados, massive explosions and walls of fire.
rereolling as a mage naow. thanks. lol. that sounds awesome.
CorneliousJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:34 AM   #6
Maleklum

Yes the low level mages is a bit underpowered,especially compared to enemy casters which oneshot you with everything or something like that
at lvl 32 with apprentice lvl spells like ice storm and firebolt im having a much more fun time,not overpowered or anything but at least i can kill almost everything given enough time and patience (some creatures get oneshotted tho)
Maleklum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:34 AM   #7
Sinhealer

Why are you still using novice spells if you are a 20 something caster?

How have you spec'd your guy?also have you done the Mage college quests?
Sinhealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:34 AM   #8
sef24

going with a "battle mage" feel makes it very enjoyable for me.

Basicly, I use some powerful spells, but once my mana gets pretty low, I switch to dual conjured weapons/one with healing on the other.

Seems pretty fun to me.
sef24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:39 AM   #9
kenn213

I've been playing a pure caster and at level 38 I'm still having fun. To me melee seems boring since its just block, attack, rinse, repeat...

As a caster you upgrade your spells every 25 points to new ones, and can choose to cast from any school you've leveled. Using a cloak spell, summoning an atronach, laying down a shock wall and then chain lightening groups of enemies certainly still entertains me.
kenn213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:40 AM   #10
setcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinhealer View Post
Why are you still using novice spells if you are a 20 something caster?

How have you spec'd your guy?also have you done the Mage college quests?
The only novice skill I really use is Flame Dual cast when an enemy is right on top of me and low on HP.

I'm working through the Mage College quest chain, waiting for the librarian to read the book I just brought back to him.

I've specced for Destro Dual Cast and Fire damage, but my skill is just around 40 or so and nothing in the tree really buffs damage.

But like I've said, I play around with everything- bows, one-handers, summons, so it's not all Destro all the time.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:41 AM   #11
Fluxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by setcamper View Post
Trying to keep my Skyrim experience pure (no exploits, guides or OP gear locations), but as a 20 something caster with novice/apprentice spells I feel very weak with lame damage output and a fragile mana pool.

I've been experimenting with everything, and applied very few perks. Lately I find summoning a fire atronach and just wearing heavy armor to be far more effective than trying to cast spells.

I feel like I'd need a much bigger mana pool, more damage output and significantly faster casting times and spell swapping abilities to really enjoy a pure caster in Skyrim.

It's weird too because the casters I come across are nasty and can 2-3 shot me. But nothing in my bag of tricks does close to that kind of damage so I stick with my elfish mace for now.
You need to start spending those perks. A ton of them give you half mana cost to certain spells. This will keep your mana pool from depleting. The perks can also give you more damaging both one handed and dual casting.
Fluxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:42 AM   #12
setcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluxman View Post
You need to start spending those perks. A ton of them give you half mana cost to certain spells. This will keep your mana pool from depleting. The perks can also give you more damaging both one handed and dual casting.
yeah, I've done that. Even with those perks it takes forever to kill most enemies that aren't your bottom of the barrel wolf or bandit.

Last edited by setcamper: 11-17-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:51 AM   #13
rupok2

do the mage guild quests and buy the apprentice level spells like firebolt, ice spike, etc. Enchant robes with mana and regen boosts.
rupok2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:52 AM   #14
Reksel

I play a mage and I can tell you that it is not boring. You need tactics to handle certain enemies, since if you perk into flames for an example, you are at a disadvantage.

And you don't only use "Flames" you get other spells aswell. When leveling up in Destruction you can increase a certain type of spell (Fire, Lightning or Frost) to deal 100% more damage and "Impact" which staggers enemy when using dual casting.
Reksel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:57 AM   #15
Darkeonz

I find it a bit boring. I'm a level 33 mage. I kind of wish there were hot keys. It's a pain to press Q then finding a spell to put in a hand, and then continiuing the battle. If I had combinations on 1-9 keys, I could quickly change around and it would be much more fun
Darkeonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V