Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V

Old 11-17-2011, 11:54 PM   #1
timnikoley

Best Mage Equipment

I have heard that the arch mage's robe is the best, I looked up pictures and it looks cool. Does anyone know what the best boots, gloves, cowl and staff are? I'm mainly wanting to use destruction magic if that matters.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:12 AM   #2
dannythefool

There is no "best". Not even the Archmage Robe. You can just as well run around in a custom smithed set of heavy armor enchanted with magicka regen and fortify destruction (or whatever your main school is) to reduce spell cost. The bonuses are not really that great. They're only good compared to other robes you can randomly find in the game. In the end, what is best depends on a) how you play and b) what you want to look like...
dannythefool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:15 AM   #3
derkaderka

i found a mage robe with 22% for destruction, and 150% mana regen.

but since there's no armor it i refuse to wear it
derkaderka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:21 AM   #4
dannythefool

Quote:
Originally Posted by derkaderka View Post
i found a mage robe with 22% for destruction, and 150% mana regen.

but since there's no armor it i refuse to wear it
You can disenchant it, which will allow you to put the "Fortify Destruction & Magicka Regen" enchantment on any armor. (You'll have to level up enchantment and get the perks though in order to get anywhere close to the numbers the robe that you found had.)

If you have 100 enchantment and put enough perk points in it, then you can make equipment that makes your spellcasting essentially free. (That's why the Archmage Robe isn't the best possible armor for a mage by a long shot.)
dannythefool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:33 AM   #5
Duke Flipside

Frankly I find the Arch-Mage robes rather ugly, but to each their own... I do wear them though, they provide
Spoiler:
100% mana regen, 15% reduction in mana cost for all spell schools and +50 magicka. You can't disenchant them, however, and on other robes I've only ever seen enchantments enhancing magicka regen and one particular school...but some do go higher than 100%. You might find it worthwhile switching to Expert/Master Destruction robes, or if your skill is high enough applying the destruction+magicka regen enchantment to some armour

Haven't really ever found any mage-boots; it seems none of the mana enchantments can go on them. Generally I wear some with a sneak-enhancement, but you may want to consider some fire/shock/frost resistance. Gloves again, nothing special. I'm currently wearing some glass bracers that I added +50 magicka enchantment to.

Cowl is Morokei all the way, for 100% mana regen. For outside combat though I keep Volsung around, as it's just generally handy.

As for staffs...I don't really see the point in them, for a mage anyway. They fire standard spells, but use the weapon's charge rather than mana. Which is fine if you have a low mana character, but a mage can handle things fine. The only exception would be for higher-level spells, but such staffs are so rare you'll never find them. I do find the Staff of Magnus (drains target mana) useful for fighting enemy spellcasters, and the Sanguine Rose (summons a Dremora) is also immensely helpful; perhaps because I'm a destruction mage who can barely summon a frost atronarch...
For jewellery I like Savos Aran's amulet (which you get at the same time as the Arch-Mage robes), which adds +50 magicka. I also have a "Ring of Replenishment" with 60% mana regen...no idea where it came from tbh, all I know is I didn't make it myself :s
Edit: Oh, also, the Staff of Jyngrusson (or however it's spelled) is quite nice too; it's like a honing lightning bolt. Which makes it very useful against flying dragons, as it's hard to miss and does good damage.

Last edited by Duke Flipside: 11-18-2011 at 12:44 AM.
Duke Flipside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:56 AM   #6
geronimo789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Flipside View Post
Frankly I find the Arch-Mage robes rather ugly, but to each their own... I do wear them though, they provide
Spoiler:
100% mana regen, 15% reduction in mana cost for all spell schools and +50 magicka. You can't disenchant them, however, and on other robes I've only ever seen enchantments enhancing magicka regen and one particular school...but some do go higher than 100%. You might find it worthwhile switching to Expert/Master Destruction robes, or if your skill is high enough applying the destruction+magicka regen enchantment to some armour

Haven't really ever found any mage-boots; it seems none of the mana enchantments can go on them. Generally I wear some with a sneak-enhancement, but you may want to consider some fire/shock/frost resistance. Gloves again, nothing special. I'm currently wearing some glass bracers that I added +50 magicka enchantment to.

Cowl is Morokei all the way, for 100% mana regen. For outside combat though I keep Volsung around, as it's just generally handy.

As for staffs...I don't really see the point in them, for a mage anyway. They fire standard spells, but use the weapon's charge rather than mana. Which is fine if you have a low mana character, but a mage can handle things fine. The only exception would be for higher-level spells, but such staffs are so rare you'll never find them. I do find the Staff of Magnus (drains target mana) useful for fighting enemy spellcasters, and the Sanguine Rose (summons a Dremora) is also immensely helpful; perhaps because I'm a destruction mage who can barely summon a frost atronarch...
For jewellery I like Savos Aran's amulet (which you get at the same time as the Arch-Mage robes), which adds +50 magicka. I also have a "Ring of Replenishment" with 60% mana regen...no idea where it came from tbh, all I know is I didn't make it myself :s
Edit: Oh, also, the Staff of Jyngrusson (or however it's spelled) is quite nice too; it's like a honing lightning bolt. Which makes it very useful against flying dragons, as it's hard to miss and does good damage.
Staffs are plenty useful IF you run out of mana. Not really an issue with some good gear and smart usage.

I ditched my archmage robe's for expert or adept robes of destruction. No magicka boost, but 20% destruction reduction, 125% regen and they're not fugly. + magicka and + magicka regen are overrated anyways. Fortifying skills is where the difference is made.
geronimo789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:42 AM   #7
Ennec93

The best is plain Fortify destruction until you can use 2 enchants then use fortify destruction and magicka regen you can get spells to cost 0 magicka but it makes the game really easy and boring even on master just my opinion

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V