Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 11-18-2011, 12:10 AM   #1
n3ophyte

Exclamation problem loading Steam

Hey guys! I'm new here and I have a problem. My Steam loads up ordinarily and it would let me sign in. But after that, my Steam will stay on the "signing in (account name)" for hours. Then, when I click on the window twice, the steam will stop responding and eat my RAM. Any help is appreciated here. I searched and followed what the other threads say but it doesn't work so, again, help!

Old 11-18-2011, 12:33 AM   #2
Nightdog_18

Have you maybe tired uninstalling it and then re-installing it again? It might of been a bad install.

Also maybe try logging into steam.com http://store.steampowered.com/ to see if maybe there i something wrong with your sign in for some reason. If you can log in successfully on the website then it is something to do with the application and a uninstall and re-install might fix it.

Last edited by Nightdog_18: 11-18-2011 at 12:43 AM.
Nightdog_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:54 AM   #3
n3ophyte

I can sign into the website and for extra info= MY INTERNET IS SO DAMN SLOW! Oh and I'm in the process of re-installing it ^^
Old 11-18-2011, 02:12 AM   #4
Nightdog_18

Did re download a new copy of steam and uninstall your old version and install the new one?

But make sure you actually un-install the old version and not just install the new copy over the old one. In doing that can cause issues and problems. Always batter to completely uninstall the old one then install the new one.

Last edited by Nightdog_18: 11-18-2011 at 02:16 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:38 AM   #5
n3ophyte

did that. updating (33% so far)
Old 11-19-2011, 01:03 AM   #6
TheCommanders

Angry

I am currently experiencing the same exact problem. Here are the detailed specs of my problem, tell me if they match yours (or are similar). As of yet, steam support has not gotten back to me and I have not found a solution on my own.

My Computer:

Quad-Core 2.2 Ghz Intel
8gb memory
500gb hard drive (laptop)
Running Windows 7
ADM Radeon HD 6750M Graphics Card

My Problem:

When I attempt to launch steam, or a game that requires steam, it gets stuck on the little window that says "Connecting Steam Account: TheCommanders" Watching the same thing on task manager revealed that the program's status changes from "running" to "not responding" seconds after launch.

Solutions I have Already Tried:

-Reinstalling Steam (Clean install) x2
-Restarting Computer
-Closing background applications
-Running as administrator
-Changing "ClientRegistry.blob" to "ClientRegistryOld.blob" and letting it update
-NOTE: When I did this it would successfully update, but then get stuck on "Connecting Steam Account: TheCommanders" again.
-Disabling antivirus and firewall software that might interfere

Another bit of information:

When steam is running normally, the process steam.exe would take up about 12,000 k of memory. When I start up my computer, even though steam is not running, the steam.exe process is, and it is taking up around 56,000 k. While this is running steam will not respond at all to attempts to start it. If I manually close the steam.exe process with task manager I can then start steam and get to the "Connecting Steam Account: TheCommanders" again. Once the program become unresponsive (usually 2-3 seconds) the memory usage spikes again, and steam will not function. I tested if this was merely a delay by leaving it on for 4 hours without interruption, but there was no change.

This is getting extremely frustrating. I'm still not entirely sure why I need steam to run at all to play Skyrim, a game for which I purchased the physical disk, which used to be all you needed to play a game, but I guess that's currently irrelevant.

Last edited by TheCommanders: 11-19-2011 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Formatting
TheCommanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:03 AM   #7
Nightdog_18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCommanders View Post
I am currently experiencing the same exact problem. Here are the detailed specs of my problem, tell me if they match yours (or are similar). As of yet, steam support has not gotten back to me and I have not found a solution on my own.

My Computer:

Quad-Core 2.2 Ghz Intel
8gb memory
500gb hard drive (laptop)
Running Windows 7
ADM Radeon HD 6750M Graphics Card

My Problem:

When I attempt to launch steam, or a game that requires steam, it gets stuck on the little window that says "Connecting Steam Account: TheCommanders" Watching the same thing on task manager revealed that the program's status changes from "running" to "not responding" seconds after launch.

Solutions I have Already Tried:

-Reinstalling Steam (Clean install) x2
-Restarting Computer
-Closing background applications
-Running as administrator
-Changing "ClientRegistry.blob" to "ClientRegistryOld.blob" and letting it update
-NOTE: When I did this it would successfully update, but then get stuck on "Connecting Steam Account: TheCommanders" again.
-Disabling antivirus and firewall software that might interfere

Another bit of information:

When steam is running normally, the process steam.exe would take up about 12,000 k of memory. When I start up my computer, even though steam is not running, the steam.exe process is, and it is taking up around 56,000 k. While this is running steam will not respond at all to attempts to start it. If I manually close the steam.exe process with task manager I can then start steam and get to the "Connecting Steam Account: TheCommanders" again. Once the program become unresponsive (usually 2-3 seconds) the memory usage spikes again, and steam will not function. I tested if this was merely a delay by leaving it on for 4 hours without interruption, but there was no change.

This is getting extremely frustrating. I'm still not entirely sure why I need steam to run at all to play Skyrim, a game for which I purchased the physical disk, which used to be all you needed to play a game, but I guess that's currently irrelevant.

HHMMM well this is strange to. You should have two steam applications running in task manager STEAM.EXE and STEAMSERVICE.EXE

When you uninstall it and then reinstall steam, are you getting you file from steam website. http://store.steampowered.com/ or are you running the steam file they have on the Skyrim Disc? It best to download the file from the website and no use the one from the Disc.

Maybe there is a bug or something on the disc version you have. Since you have an account with steam and im assuming that you have the game registered to the account, maybe instead of installing th egame from the disc just download it from there website. It should be in you Library on the application.

But as a one last try. DO this if this doesn't work then ill think of another idea.

But uninstall the game Skyrim then uninstall the Steam application through windows Programs and Features in the control panel. Once that is done. Restart your computer, then once it up and running go to this website, and download this program. Leave all the settings on default changing something on it you don't know what it does could make your computer unusable. http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

This program i use as well. It will remove old junk from your computer associated with steam and the games it has. Just follow the list once the application is up and running. First do the cleaner tab click analyze let it scan once it done then click run cleaner and let it finish cleaning. Once its done re-click again run cleaner to make sure it fully removed all the junk. Then move to the registry tab. Make sure u leave all check boxes at default settings, which they should all be checked by default. then click scan for issues once done click fix all issues it might ask you whether or not to make a back up of the registry. Its your choice but i personally do not. I usually click no to that. then click fix all error or what ever the button is. U might have to run it like three or four times to get ride of all the junk that steam left behind. Once done restart again. Then reopen the program and run the cleaner tab again same way as before and then the registry tab again same way as before.

Once u completed all this go to steam website link is above click the green install steam button at top of page then download and install. Once its installed enter your user name and password and if you have steam guard on you will have to enter a code in the box just check you email. Once your logged in and is sitting at steam home page that pops up first when you open steam click on Library tab then in that section click the little drop down arrow at the top of the games list next to the search thing. Once you clicked that drop down arrow click on all games. it will list out all the game you have under your account. Find the one called skyrim and click install. Depending on your connection it could take anywhere from 1 hour to 4 or 5 hours.

What helps though is to on the steam application click steam Tab its at the very top of the application. Then go to settings then in that window click Downloads+Cloud tab. Once in there make sure your connection is selected to the closest that you have from your ISP and then Download region make sure it the one closed to you. Sometimes it will default pick it for you but not always. Then make sure both check mark boxes at bottom of window is both checked in then click OK to close the window.

This is the best way i could think of to maybe possibly fix this problem. It worth a shot anyways. Wont hurt anything. But do the Setting download_cloud part 1st before you download then after that you can do the previous steps i mentioned above on how to download the game from your account.

Good Luck. I hope this wasn't to confusing. I tried to make it understandable as best as i could. It makes scene to me anyways LOL.

Hope this works for you. If there is still issues after you do this write back here an dill try to help some more. But follow each and very direction very carefully and do as it asks. If you run into trouble you can right back here or send me a personal MSG if you like and ill be more an happy to help you through any issues.

Hope this works and fixes it for you.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:11 AM   #8
Nightdog_18

Also n3ophyte you could try these steps out as well to see if it fixes your issue as well.

Wont hurt any. Worth a try.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:33 AM   #9
n3ophyte

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightdog_18 View Post
Also n3ophyte you could try these steps out as well to see if it fixes your issue as well.

Wont hurt any. Worth a try.

Hmm. Mine is kinda fixed. It still takes a long time to load but I don't care now. It loads up. But I did what you ask and got it from the main page. The thing is, SteamServices.exe loads up 10-20 minutes after launch or doesnt at all. I don't have any steam game CD's so I couldnt get a corrupted or wrong installer. I'm downloading Spiral Knights now and leaving my laptop on while going to sleep. I hope that the Internet fairy plays nice and let the download finish the next morning without my laptop overheating
Old 11-19-2011, 07:36 AM   #10
n3ophyte

Oh and if any1 wants to help my gaming life and make it easier, you could upload the common files for TF2 and Spiral Knights (obviously NOT piracy )
Old 11-19-2011, 07:42 AM   #11
n3ophyte

And another thing, TheCommander, I am having a similar problem to yours obviously. The only difference is that you have a better processor than I do :P
Old 11-19-2011, 08:06 AM   #12
enonka

Here's what I'm getting. No steam downtime announcement. I was in the middle of downloading a game too

http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t...rrent=down.png

I have the forums up to show internet is working.
enonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:00 AM   #13
enonka

Did a new install. It would not allow a repair. Time to install 77 games
enonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:12 PM   #14
n3ophyte

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by enonka View Post
Here's what I'm getting. No steam downtime announcement. I was in the middle of downloading a game too

http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t...rrent=down.png

I have the forums up to show internet is working.
Link is down. And I just got the announcement today (actually last night) my home Internet is quite slow (that's why I'm using my iPhone now. It can't even load the forums properly)
Old 11-19-2011, 03:14 PM   #15
n3ophyte

Oh and too bad for your reinstalling. Did you save the steamapps folder?

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips