Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V

Old 11-18-2011, 07:31 AM   #1
cyens

Installing a controller for PC?

I was trying to install my logitec PC controller to play skyrim, but I can't seem to make it work.

My controller is shaped exactly like a Playstation controller, with the same amount of buttons so I figured there wouldn't be a problem. My brother got the game on PS3 and I liked how the controls work.

I tried xpadder, but I don't seem to be able to use it properly, where are you supposed to save / or associate the file?

I am getting terrible mouse lag, so I wanted to try using my controller, see if it would help.

Thanks.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:37 AM   #2
Asuterisuku

If you go into your SkyrimPrefs file and change "bMouseAcceleration" to 0, that might solve some of your lag problems. Worked wonders for me. That said, as far as controllers go this game has native support for the Xbox 360 controller, though I'm not sure about a DS3...
Asuterisuku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:42 AM   #3
Leif_Reiker

Same here.

I have a Thrustmaster pad-controller that works OK in Oblivion. I play Skyrim and the controller is not recognised. Mouse and Keyboard only. If you remember, in Oblivion you could use pad and even joysticks
Leif_Reiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:56 AM   #4
cyens

Yes I was able to use my controller just fine with oblivion. I actually like using a controller much better then mouse/keyboard. I oldschool like that...

I read on other forums about using a Xbox controller, if this is the case, I'm starting to think everyday skyrim is scam.

You should be able to play skyrim with my controller if i use xpadder, but I don't understand how to associate it to the game.
cyens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:08 AM   #5
5thhors

I posted a Xinput enabler link a while back.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2227552

enable any control on xinput games
http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/wiki/MainPage
5thhors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:36 AM   #6
Medium_Rare

Logitech profiler should have a way you can map buttons outside of game too.
Medium_Rare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:43 AM   #7
Deathsyt

MotionJoy. I am using an actual PS3 with the game by using MotionJoy. You can make your PC emulate your controller as a 360 controller, which there is already support for. Which will make it so that the controller you will be using will have the same default controls as the PS3 version (tried both for testing purposes.)

http://www.motioninjoy.com/
Deathsyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:34 AM   #8
toastandjam

lol 'thrustmaster'

Have you checked the Windows settings\calibration for the controller?

That's an excellent place to start before moving on to xpadder etc.
Some controllers just need to be set up in Windows, then all your other components suddenly fall into place.

If you have XP, goto Control Panel > Game Controllers
If you have Vista\7, goto Control Panel and search for 'game controllers', then select 'set up usb game controllers'.
toastandjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:26 AM   #9
5thhors

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastandjam View Post
lol 'thrustmaster'

Have you checked the Windows settings\calibration for the controller?

That's an excellent place to start before moving on to xpadder etc.
Some controllers just need to be set up in Windows, then all your other components suddenly fall into place.

If you have XP, goto Control Panel > Game Controllers
If you have Vista\7, goto Control Panel and search for 'game controllers', then select 'set up usb game controllers'.
new games use the Xinput.dll to connect to the controller , if the gamepad is not Xinput compatable , like most non 360 gamepads are, without some kind of Xinput emulator software the controller will be ignored by the game ,
you can remap the controller keys to keyboard inputs but you lose the joypad axsis inputs as they defualt to keystrokes
Old 11-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #10
Pete the Geek

Skyrim only supports Microsoft XBOX 360 controllers, however there is a workaround. I got my Logitech Dual Action working perfectly using the XBOX 360 Controller Emulator.

I download the emulator from this directory. Just downloading the emulator zip isn't enough, it also requires the newer 32-bit xce360 library. Just put the program and updated library in the Skyrim directory, run x360ce and configure the controls to work with your controller. After that, you can launch Skyrim as usual. You'll know the emulator is working because the controller support option will be automatically selected in the options menu (also by default x360ce makes a "chime" when it is initialized).

Note: once you have the settings for your controller working, you never have to run x360ce again. All it does is create a configuration file for the xce360 library, which is what supplies the emulation.
Pete the Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:54 PM   #11
aralerm

Red face not working for me

HI I have skyrim exe file under MY GAMES. I copied all files under the SKYRIM folder including the X360 ce file, the Xinput_3.dll file and the Xinput test. If I try to run the logitech pad after launching the XINPUT Test it works...but when I launch the game under skyrim then options I do not see anything for the controller and of course it does not work in the game. I have windows 7 and a decent graphic card...I am running this on a laptop...
Any help appreciated?
Thanks
Arale Chan
Old 11-28-2011, 03:07 PM   #12
5thhors

this program will allow you to use any non microsoft controller .
it will emulate the xbox controller and allow you to remap it

Old 11-29-2011, 12:37 PM   #13
aralerm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thhors View Post
this program will allow you to use any non microsoft controller .
it will emulate the xbox controller and allow you to remap it

Hi it worked! finally I can play this awesome game. The problem was that there are 2 skyrim subfolders both with exe files...one under my games and one under d/steam/apps etc..I installed the same files under the steam subfolders and now it works...
thanks a lot
Araler Chan
Old 07-15-2012, 08:02 PM   #14
zjames

The emulator won't even open for me. It downloads but then nothing. Can anyone help me out?
zjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:21 PM   #15
McDave

Install the Microsoft XBOX 360 controller drivers to get Logitec gamepads working in Skyrim, and some other games. Open Control Panel > Devices > Add device > Manually select device from list > Microsoft... keep drilling down, the Xbox drivers are down there somewhere.

Last edited by McDave: 07-15-2012 at 08:28 PM.
McDave is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V