Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Old 11-19-2011, 04:36 PM   #1
Hachach19

Oh my dear god, how will I ever be able to beat this game.

Well I am really enjoying this game and its story, but I easily get startled and this game managed to make my heart pound badly several times just by seeing random doors open by themselves and from hearing zombie noises, lol.

Managed to get to the part where you open the secret door by pulling some books. Got the key and headed back towards the hallway to hear the zombie noise. Well, I ran to the hallway thinking he was right behind be, but I saw nothing. Then went to the crashed roof only to turn around and see that horrible thing run right towards me and then disappear. Yes, I had to change pants after that.

Mixed together the 4 ingredients to make acid. Nearly had a heart attack when that zombie suddenly stood at the end of the room and walked away when I went near him. Managed to remove the blockage with the acid and I had to stop when I heard the flashback about "standing in the dark so that they cannot find you".

I don't want to listen to music while playing this game, that will ruin the sound and story completely, but I just can't force myself onwards. I never want to see that zombie thing again and I just know I will
Old 11-19-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
HitDeity

You ain't seen nothing yet!

{STAY OUT OF THE WATER...}

your life may depend on it.
HitDeity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:56 PM   #3
Simian_

It's really amazing how scary the game actually is, isn't it? If you're having trouble continuing, I suggest you just face the fact that it's ability to cause tension and fear is the real novelty of the game and the primary reason you're playing it, and enjoy how well the game manages to evoke that fear in you. That sense of amazement and amusement more than anything is what kept me playing it to the end. I was just really impressed and found it humorous whenever I would jump in my chair or hang around behind a door staring off into an empty hallway trying to summon up the courage to continue.
Simian_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:32 AM   #4
HitDeity

Yep, this game allows you to really scare yourself to death. Except for the water part, and maybe one or two more, the "scary parts" are your own self-creations....OR, if you're stuck on one baddie that's troubling you, you can let it get you, then when you respawn, it will be gone when you come back (usually). The game resets the monsters so you don't have to deal with them (well, that particular one that got you, anyway) when you return. Just avoid them, run away, wait, then when you go back, they're usually gone....but sometimes they're not!

Like I said, the water part (sewers?) is pretty intense, and it doesn't matter what you do there. It will be pretty nerve-wracking. Nothing for it except to press on...your sanity depends on it.

Loved this game. You play it to get "scared", so enjoy it. It's just a game. It's your own mind that's terrorizing you.
HitDeity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:36 AM   #5
fuller556

Here are some things that helped me get through it.

First of all, remember that at its core, this is a puzzle game. Any monster you encounter is just another puzzle to solve. How do I hide from it? If hiding is not an option, how can I stay away from it? And truthfully, there are only a very few areas that I can say are truly "monster-laden."

Try to memorize where the dark rooms are. If you find a particularly dark one, leave the door to it open when you're exploring; that way, you can run into it and close the door behind you. Also, pay attention to which way a door opens; you can crouch directly next to it so that if the monster opens it, you'll still have the door in between you and the monster. Also keep in mind that if you're reasonably close to the door that brought you from one level of the castle to another, going back through it automatically gets rid of the monster when you step back through.

There weren't that many areas that truly SCARED me, but several things did disturb me quite a bit. For example: I won't give away any spoilers here, but if when you are solving a puzzle you even THINK that something kind of demented might work, the odds are that you're right. This is true when, for example, you have to make the vaccine to successfully enter the sewers. Basically, though, I just got used to the idea of enemies appearing out of nowhere from a lot of games I've played in my life. If you keep in mind that the music changes anytime an enemy is near, you can use that as your cue to take cover; the normal stage music will restart whenever it has given up, and you won't run into the same monster again. However, be warned that there are a few places where a monster WON'T give up chasing you; in these areas, your only hope is to either distract it or outlast it to the next section of the game.

One last tip: If you DO get killed in an area, the game gives you a clue as to how to successfully get past what killed you and in some cases, the enemy will vanish from the game when you continue. You also restart with everything you had; there's no additional punishment for failing other than having to replay the section you died in.

I hope these tips will help see you through to the end. It really is worth the experience.
fuller556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:33 AM   #6
Ridnarhtim

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuller556 View Post
If you keep in mind that the music changes anytime an enemy is near, you can use that as your cue to take cover; the normal stage music will restart whenever it has given up, and you won't run into the same monster again.
Not quite ... The music doesn't change if you don't KNOW the monster has gone away. If you crouch in a corner and look away, the 'monster nearby' music will keep going until you actually turn around to see if it's gone or not - and if it isn't, you've essentially just screwed yourself.

As for advice ... I played it at night, in the dark, with headphones, and it was intense! So if it's too much, turn the sound down, play it with the lights on, or have someone in the room. If you're already doing that, well ... Ask yourself whether the nightmares and lack of sleep are worth it (imo, they are).
Ridnarhtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:42 PM   #7
Jjssonicfan

Play with a friend beside you or on Skype or such. Trust me, its much easier to do so.
Jjssonicfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:26 PM   #8
PolloSpeedo

I hear you man. At some point in the game (after THAT part) I was so scared that I wanted to quit, sit down on the floor and cry. Great game :')
PolloSpeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:13 PM   #9
TheSagetEffect

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitDeity View Post
You ain't seen nothing yet!

{STAY OUT OF THE WATER...}

your life may depend on it.
I don't know how I kept playing after that part.
TheSagetEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:02 PM   #10
gotthisfortf2

Banned
Prepare yourself, as you have seen nothing yet.Just wait until you come into a closer encounter with one of those things.
gotthisfortf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:07 AM   #11
jimmyzen

I've been playind this on and off for awhile. I'm at the part with the secret door book case as described. I have the three books pulled out but the book case won't open. It's got a wider gap at the back on the right side as you face it. It's easily 2 or 3 times as big a gap as I recall seeing when I first saw the light around it. But, I can't move it. The books, all 3, are pulled out and I can't move them any more in either direction. I have been over every inch of that room and I don't see any other switch or hidden lever or any place the 'hand' appears. I'm pretty well stuck and when I read what I could find about where I am in the game, everything says it just opens. Am I experiencing a bug or did I miss something?

Last edited by jimmyzen: 12-20-2011 at 05:10 AM.
jimmyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:39 AM   #12
alcator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyzen View Post
I've been playind this on and off for awhile. I'm at the part with the secret door book case as described. I have the three books pulled out but the book case won't open. It's got a wider gap at the back on the right side as you face it. It's easily 2 or 3 times as big a gap as I recall seeing when I first saw the light around it. But, I can't move it. The books, all 3, are pulled out and I can't move them any more in either direction.
I believe they have to be pulled "just enough", not all the way out. Or perhaps there's some other thing (chandelier or something) that needs to be pulled "just right". It's a long time since I played it.
alcator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:14 AM   #13
Ridnarhtim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyzen View Post
I've been playind this on and off for awhile. I'm at the part with the secret door book case as described. I have the three books pulled out but the book case won't open. It's got a wider gap at the back on the right side as you face it. It's easily 2 or 3 times as big a gap as I recall seeing when I first saw the light around it. But, I can't move it. The books, all 3, are pulled out and I can't move them any more in either direction. I have been over every inch of that room and I don't see any other switch or hidden lever or any place the 'hand' appears. I'm pretty well stuck and when I read what I could find about where I am in the game, everything says it just opens. Am I experiencing a bug or did I miss something?

Is that the part with the 'chain noise?' Are you pulling out the books quickly enough? Try pushing them all back in, and then redoing it, if you haven't already.

Might not be useful, but it's all I got, sorry.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:27 AM   #14
jimmyzen

Yeah, it makes the mechanical sound as soon as the first book is pulled out. The books only go out so far and before I figured out there were 3 of them the book would slowly draw back in until it was fully back on the shelf. As it is now, all three are out and I can't do anything with them- pull them out or push them in. I've let the game sit for 30 minutes and they stay in position.

I thought the whole thing was eprked by when the 3rd book was pulled out the book case opened and you had to get through it on a timer. The timer was based on the 3rd book being pulled to start it. That's why I am wondering if I have a bug that's frozen the game as far as the book case opening of if there is another lever or switch.
jimmyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #15
Ridnarhtim

Yeah, sounds like a bug to me. If you haven't already, I would contact the developers (or maybe there's a ghost-cheat so that you can get through that bookcase).

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Amnesia: The Dark Descent