Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 11-20-2011, 09:44 AM   #1
Traogen

non-steam skyrim?

I have 2 people on my friends list that play non-steam game Skyrim. Does this mean they pirated it?
Old 11-20-2011, 09:45 AM   #2
TheRevanchist

A non-steam game that they just renamed "Skyrim"?
TheRevanchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:47 AM   #3
Sidekick 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traogen View Post
I have 2 people on my friends list that play non-steam game Skyrim. Does this mean they pirated it?
Plenty of people brazen enough to play their pirated game as a non-steam game, even though the game, if they have it *has* to be on steam if they own it legally.

It's possible they're trying to mess with someone, but what's the point? Pretty sure plenty of people just add their illegal games.
Sidekick 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:47 AM   #4
Susuman

Probably pirated version
Susuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
FulValBot (ITA)

pirated version.

and a my friend is using it...
FulValBot (ITA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:49 AM   #6
Traogen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidekick 20 View Post
Plenty of people brazen enough to play their pirated game as a non-steam game, even though the game, if they have it *has* to be on steam if they own it legally.
Does Steam not track these sorts of things? If it's so blatant, It seems as if action would be taken against them.
Traogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:53 AM   #7
Victorspain

Banned
Quote:
Does Steam not track these sorts of things? If it's so blatant, It seems as if action would be taken against them.
As far as I know, they can't scan user's files due to privacy reasons.

So if they ban a user because of piracy, the user could sue them for scanning his/her private files, so Valve would have to pay WAY more money than the game's cost.

Last edited by Victorspain: 11-20-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Victorspain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:54 AM   #8
Scorcher24

Yeah, I have some on my FL too that show non steam game with skyrim .
But also for other steam-titles that are Steamworks like Rage or JC2.
And yes, it is blatant.
And no, I own it .
Scorcher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:39 AM   #9
Ryamu1985

Quote:
It's not strictly speaking Steam's role to do so. As a previous poster has pointed out, Steam don't have the authority to scan your private (read anything outside of your steam folder) files, and even if they did the piracy being committed breaches the rules of the publisher, not the store.

It would be like if GAME or Gamestop noticed someone walking around with an R4 cart in their DS, as irritating as it would be there isn't legally anything they could do about it. Even if that person chose to walk around the store playing it, they couldn't really do anything to stop them unfortunately.
Ryamu1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:49 AM   #10
Washell

You can add anything to Steam and label it as Skyrim. Just seeing it on the friendlist isn't positive proof that the user pirated it, from Valve's point of view. Verifying that would require Valve to intrude or outright break various piracy laws so there's really nothing they can do.

You can do something though, tell those friends that if they like it, they really should pay for it.
Washell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #11
TeKraken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryamu1985 View Post
It's not strictly speaking Steam's role to do so. As a previous poster has pointed out, Steam don't have the authority to scan your private (read anything outside of your steam folder) files,
So what is "help>system information" in steam then? Oh it's a list of software and hardware in my machine. I'm pretty sure some of that is outside my 'steam' folder
TeKraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:28 AM   #12
ASecondOpinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidekick 20 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susuman View Post
Probably pirated version
Quote:
Originally Posted by FulValBot (ITA) View Post
pirated version.
Or maybe they are playing a console version of Skyrim and have renamed another non-steam game/exe (For example: Notepad)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeKraken View Post
So what is "help>system information" in steam then? Oh it's a list of software and hardware in my machine. I'm pretty sure some of that is outside my 'steam' folder
Well, that only happens when you request it, though.

Last edited by ASecondOpinion: 11-20-2011 at 11:37 AM.
ASecondOpinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:34 PM   #13
crunchyfrog555

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeKraken View Post
Steam are allowed (because you agreed to it) to browse your computer for BASIC STATISTICAL GATHERING only.

So that means they're allowed to do those list, but they're are in no way allowed to use such data against you, or pass that data on.

Of course, even if they were, there is absolutely no way they could unequivocally state that you're in possession of a pirated game. To take any action on anything (such as in-game scamming, etc) Valve would have to have the burden of proof.

As already stated, it's entirely plausible they have renamed another game, in some form of childish showing-off. It happens.

But even if it isn't nothing can be done.
crunchyfrog555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:11 AM   #14
TeKraken

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyfrog555 View Post
Steam are allowed (because you agreed to it) to browse your computer for BASIC STATISTICAL GATHERING only.

So that means they're allowed to do those list, but they're are in no way allowed to use such data against you, or pass that data on.

Of course, even if they were, there is absolutely no way they could unequivocally state that you're in possession of a pirated game. To take any action on anything (such as in-game scamming, etc) Valve would have to have the burden of proof.

As already stated, it's entirely plausible they have renamed another game, in some form of childish showing-off. It happens.

But even if it isn't nothing can be done.
I have no problem with it as I've nothing to hide it was only a response to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryamu1985 View Post
It's not strictly speaking Steam's role to do so. As a previous poster has pointed out, Steam don't have the authority to scan your private (read anything outside of your steam folder) files,
I believe the tos for **other digital distributors** are not so cut and dry. (but that's for another thread)...

Quote:
But yes it's this ^^^^^^^^

Last edited by TeKraken: 11-21-2011 at 02:17 AM. Reason: **removed**
TeKraken is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips