Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sherlock Holmes series

Old 11-20-2011, 09:19 PM   #1
BaloogyMcBoy

Secret of the Silver Earring will say it is open but not open.

Win 7 64-bit
4GB Ram

Tried opening the file itself, set it to administrator mode, no luck, even tried running dxsetup manually in the DirectX9 folder of the game but no luck

Anyone had any success

Each time after opening it i've had to close the process game.exe *32 in order to close it since the game isn't running visibly anywhere for me
Old 01-22-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
Pous

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaloogyMcBoy View Post
Win 7 64-bit
4GB Ram

Tried opening the file itself, set it to administrator mode, no luck, even tried running dxsetup manually in the DirectX9 folder of the game but no luck

Anyone had any success

Each time after opening it i've had to close the process game.exe *32 in order to close it since the game isn't running visibly anywhere for me
Having the same problem with mine... really frustrating. My wife LOVES the idea of these games but is completely unable to play...
Pous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:42 PM   #3
Quantris

I'm also having the same issue (also 64bit Win7). There is a "game.log" file created in the game folder which reports an init failure with Directsound; but that doesn't really give me any clue how to fix it.
Quantris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
Quantris

I fixed the issue by disabling DEP for game.exe (in Win7, this is under Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings > Performance Settings > Data Execution Prevention). I prefer to leave the setting on and add specific exceptions, but it is unfortunate that the system doesn't let you know when it is preventing something (which would make troubleshooting a lot easier).
Quantris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:41 PM   #5
BaloogyMcBoy

Thank you so much, I wish I could give you a truckload of rep but one will have to do for now

Solution worked and will hopefully be of help to others in the future
BaloogyMcBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sherlock Holmes series