Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Star Wars collection > Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II

Old 11-21-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
SPG

menu enter/exit bug

This is just to let people know what worked for me. I run XP service pack 3

When first trying the game, it wouldn't lauch after the intro so I tried disabling the back buffer in system memory. This seemed to work fine for entering and exiting the menu during that session with the exception of my last manual save before quitting. That's when the game crashed. Since I was quitting, I didn't do anything at that time.

The following day, it again wouldn't launch after the menu. I noticed that the back buffer had reset itself to enable, so I disabled it again, but this did not work.

After some searching on the net, I ran across some advice to disable in your graphics card, triple buffering, anistropic filtering and vertical sync, which I did. This didn't work either.

I had also read that running in compatibility mode was not neccessary and almost didn't try that because of this advice, but changed my mind. I changed compatibility to Windows 98 and the game launched, was able to save manually and quit properly.

I left my graphics card with the above disabled, but don't know if that had any bearing as that didn't work on its own. Running on single core might also work, although I didn't try that.

So, bottom line, running in compatibility mode did work for me.

Last edited by SPG: 11-21-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:23 AM   #2
SPG

Update to above

Although running in compatibility mode fixed the menu crash and the game runs fine, there was terrible frame rate problems in the water levels.

So, I re-enabled the graphic card settings I had disabled, installed the ddraw.dll and enabled 3D acceleration ingame.

The game now runs perfectly. However, I have a technical question as I'm not too savvy with some things.

The ddraw.dll had the effect of enlarging everything slightly, sort of like zoom. For instance, the health and ammo meters are now larger. I assume this has something to do with the resolution. I had it set to 1024 x 768. I take screenshots with fraps which previously come out at 1024, but are now 640 x 480.
Has the ddraw.dll done something to the resolution?

Sorry if this is a noob question, but I'm just not up to speed on these things and would like to understand them for future reference.
SPG is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Star Wars collection > Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II