Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Publisher & Developer Discussions > PlayFirst

Old 11-22-2011, 12:07 PM   #1
grumblecakes

Thumbs down Dream Chronicles price tag

This is a casual hidden object game from 2009 that's selling anywhere else for half that price so why is it so expensive here??
Old 11-22-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
Booke

Because licensing.
Booke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
Schwinghammer

You have a strange definition of expensive.
Schwinghammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:26 AM   #4
grumblecakes

It's double the price the same game or any other casual game goes for on other websites so yeah, I'd say 200% is expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booke View Post
Because licensing.
I will never understand these things...
grumblecakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:47 AM   #5
SweetNothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwinghammer View Post
You have a strange definition of expensive.
Well, he's not the only one. The price on this one raised my eyebrows, too.

I like this style of game and the artwork looks lush, but the sale price is close to what I think the everyday price should be. Considering my backlog, all the recent "bundles" and the expected Thanksgiving sale, I'll probably pass on this title.
SweetNothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:01 AM   #6
elixenie

The people who play these games often don't play the sorts of games you play. They love GameHouse, bought the Samantha Swift series at full price, think of PopCap as the the ultimate hidden objects publisher, etc. They used to play adventure games, but now adventure games are in 3D and may or may not contain violence. This doesn't mean these people are all dumbells, just that they don't follow games anymore and have to play around young children for moments at a time.

And as you see with the Railworks crowd, they don't buy or want very many games, so the price doesn't really matter very much. How much do you pay for eyeglasses? Unless you buy them all the time for some reason, you probably don't remember.

So the going price on this stuff is $10 or $20 and it never really gets marked down. I went looking for some old Inlay games a while back, most of them are $8 with the Amazon markdown. Went looking for Sudoku. All of the good ones are $10.

It's just a totally different world.
elixenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:12 PM   #7
grumblecakes

I don't think many of the GameHouse/BigFish crowd are old adventure gamers at all... we are a minority in that group. I think most of those casual gamers are new to gaming or have little experience gaming. I would say the real price tag on those websites is $6.99 per game (their subscription services are set up so that you pay $6.99 to join, get one 'credit' you can use to buy any game you want and get subscriber benefits for the rest of the month so even if you cancel the subscription after one day, you only paid $7 for the game you wanted and all other games will cost $7 for the rest of the month). It makes no sense that the game is more expensive on Steam which has more savvy gaming types and illegal download types than people on casual gaming websites.
grumblecakes is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Publisher & Developer Discussions > PlayFirst