Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Serious Sam series > Serious Sam 3: BFE

Old 11-22-2011, 12:23 PM   #1
noko

BFE immediatly crashes, AMD Bulldozer fx8120

Deus Ex and now this game does not work with my new setup, basically when attempted to be played it reboots the computer . Have most recent bios 813 for an ASUS Sabortooth 990FX. Should have never pre-ordered this until it was released. Anyways if you are successful with a Bulldozer please let me know.

Last edited by noko: 11-22-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:26 PM   #2
darksamus

You really should drop your bad attitude and post what ALL of your relevant specs are, post any crash message you get, and, if relevant, post error logs. If you don't want to like the game because you aren't getting your way, then I'm sure we can find a group of toddlers who can demonstrate how to behave better.

Also, hats off for buying from a line of AMD proc's that don't perform as well as their specs would suggest.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited by darksamus: 11-22-2011 at 12:28 PM.
darksamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:34 PM   #3
Twoframes

You REALLY bought a Bulldozer?

Didn't you even bother reading the reviews?
Twoframes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
BillyMays14

Darksamus No need to be a giant about it either. Yeah he could have posted full specs or a log to get better help but I think you're allowed to feel a little frustrated when the game you paid for doesn't work day 1.
BillyMays14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:38 PM   #5
mechtech

Buggy games won't cause a reboot. Reboots without warning are caused by bad hardware 99.9% of the time. Buggy software causes freezing and crashes, but it won't reboot a PC.

Bad GPU drivers or game/driver incompatibility will almost always cause a bluescreen, so if you're not getting one, you can basically rule driver issues out.

Overheating is the first issue you should look at. Bad memory (or rarely corrupted hard drive OS files) is a common cause of rebooting, especially if the reboots are unpredictable in fashion.

If the reboots are caused when the system is under load (and games fit this category), then a failing or inadequate power supply can be the problem.

The X factor in your case is Bulldozer. BD and the windows CPU scheduler don't get along, and there are cases of bulldozer not even being stable at stock clocks. A hard restart often happens when a CPU overclock isn't stable, so it's possible that you have a crappy (well crappier) 8120 that isn't stable at stock clocks.

The first thing you need to do is make sure you are Prime95 stable (use the blend setting so memory is tested as well) for at least an hour. Make sure to monitor temps during the stress test as well.

Last edited by mechtech: 11-22-2011 at 12:41 PM.
mechtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:39 PM   #6
Pav4o

Quote:
Originally Posted by noko View Post
Deus Ex and now this game does not work with my new setup, basically when attempted to be played it reboots the computer . Have most recent bios 813 for an ASUS Sabortooth 990FX. Should have never pre-ordered this until it was released. Anyways if you are successful with a Bulldozer please let me know.
Same here with FX8150
Pav4o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:40 PM   #7
Amy

AMD Bulldozer make crash everygames.

A lot have problem with this CPU, the game isn't the problem, but the bad desigh of the Bulldozer is teh cause.
Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:40 PM   #8
darksamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMays14 View Post
No need to be a giant about it either. Yeah he could have posted full specs or a log to get better help but I think you're allowed to feel a little frustrated when the game you paid for doesn't work day 1.
True, but he didn't really post much info about his situation. You have the right to be frustrated, but no reason to be whiny. From what he did post, for all we know it could be that his rig is overheating and automatically shutting down to prevent physical damage. Or that he's having the same problems we are. All he did was come on here, post little info, and throw a minor temper tantrum. Honestly, I doubt his problem has anything to do with the games as much as it may be an issue with his rig's setup, ignoring the poor proc choice.

Also, noko, you can't preorder a game that's already out. herp derp.

Last edited by darksamus: 11-22-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:01 PM   #9
noko

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksamus View Post
True, but he didn't really post much info about his situation.
From what he did post, for all we know it could be that his rig is overheating and automatically shutting down to prevent physical damage. Or that he's having the same problems we are. All he did was come on here, post little info, and throw a minor temper tantrum. Honestly, I doubt his problem has anything to do with the games as much as it may be an issue with his rig's setup, ignoring the poor proc choice.
I stated problem as well as my grief and system spec is Bulldozer fx8120, ASUS Sabertooth 990fx. If you want full spec which is probably not too relevant: Win7 64x Home, Radeon HD 5870, 1gb WD hard drive, 8gb G-Skill DDR3 1600. Now are you going to help out or have a temper tantrum about my suppose temper tantrum .

My system is prime stable but is OC so good idea to check not OC, thanks on that one. This is a reoccuring problem noted by AMD:
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...platforms.aspx

Also this can help others to decide to hold off on buying if they have a similar setup until a remedy is available. No reason to buy the game if it will only cause a temper tantrum, I mean it won't play.
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:04 PM   #10
noko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pav4o View Post
Same here with FX8150
I may revert to an older bios (705) which worked with Deus Ex, maybe it will work with BFE.
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:06 PM   #11
darksamus

Thumbs up

Quote:
I stated problem as well as my grief and system spec is Bulldozer fx8120, ASUS Sabertooth 990fx. If you want full spec which is probably not too relevant: Win7 64x Home, Radeon HD 5870, 1gb WD hard drive, 8gb G-Skill DDR3 1600. Now are you going to help out or have a temper tantrum about my suppose temper tantrum .

My system is prime stable but is OC so good idea to check not OC, thanks on that one. This is a reoccuring problem noted by AMD:
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...platforms.aspx

Also this can help others to decide to hold off on buying if they have a similar setup until a remedy is available. No reason to buy the game if it will only cause a temper tantrum, I mean it won't play.
You have regained my respect. Sorry for the prior comments. It's good to see people willing to do a bit of research on their to get to the root of the problem, when so many are content to whine only. I was glad to be wrong on the Internet today.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:07 PM   #12
Twoframes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechtech View Post
Buggy games won't cause a reboot. Reboots without warning are caused by bad hardware 99.9% of the time. Buggy software causes freezing and crashes, but it won't reboot a PC.

Bad GPU drivers or game/driver incompatibility will almost always cause a bluescreen, so if you're not getting one, you can basically rule driver issues out.

Overheating is the first issue you should look at. Bad memory (or rarely corrupted hard drive OS files) is a common cause of rebooting, especially if the reboots are unpredictable in fashion.

If the reboots are caused when the system is under load (and games fit this category), then a failing or inadequate power supply can be the problem.

The X factor in your case is Bulldozer. BD and the windows CPU scheduler don't get along, and there are cases of bulldozer not even being stable at stock clocks. A hard restart often happens when a CPU overclock isn't stable, so it's possible that you have a crappy (well crappier) 8120 that isn't stable at stock clocks.

The first thing you need to do is make sure you are Prime95 stable (use the blend setting so memory is tested as well) for at least an hour. Make sure to monitor temps during the stress test as well.
Wrong.

There could be numerous reasons as to why a computer shuts down without presenting a bluescreen, and wonky drivers are likely to give said effect.

But else than that, you are correct.
Twoframes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:11 PM   #13
Pav4o

Quote:
I may revert to an older bios (705) which worked with Deus Ex, maybe it will work with BFE.
I'm with the same motherboard as yours - a few days ago upgraded to BIOS 0813. Does 0705 work with Buldozzer B2 at all?
Pav4o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:14 PM   #14
etrigoth

I'm just reporting in to say that I have the same problem with my new Bulldozer; I've had two BSODS when I try to start the game, a 101 (can't set timings on secondary core) and a 124 (WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR). Unfortunately I already have the latest Bios.

Bulldozer 4100 @ stock 3.6Ghz. It's watercooled and *not* overheating. doesn't get past 24°c
Gigabyte GM880-USB3 3.1 FE Bios
4Gb Crucial ballistix @1333
Win7 32bit
Radeon 6870 Vapour-X
OCZ Vertex 2 SSD.

I've just turned the turbo mode off, see if that makes a difference; but I should point out that Skyrim runs flawlessly in Ultra with 8xAA,16xAF on and I've had EVE online running most of the day.
etrigoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:16 PM   #15
venomblade89

lol, well there's your problem. You went bulldozer.
venomblade89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Serious Sam series > Serious Sam 3: BFE