Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Batman: Arkham City

Old 11-22-2011, 11:49 PM   #1
The_Master627

"ran out of video memory" error crashing, unplayable

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
Core 2 Extreme X9770 3.2 GHz (quad)
GTX 470, 2527 memory as shown in dxdiag
4 GB RAM

There is a thread similar to this about some CPU error, but I figured I would create a new one for this specific problem. After 5 minutes, if I'm lucky to play for that long, it will crash with an error popup exactly like this (not my screenshot, thanks Bl0k.ca for the image):

http://s8.postimage.org/ire08mu9h/hnhnhn.png

I am using the latest 285.62 WHQL drivers hoping that would fix it but there was no change. I have tried everything, turning settings down/off such as AA and AF, nothing works or even seems to influence it. The game I have been anticipating for months has crashed and burned. I am not pleased.

Any ideas on something I can at least try? I am out of options I could personally think of, which included messing with the texture streaming and such within the ini.

Last edited by The_Master627: 11-23-2011 at 12:52 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:51 PM   #2
trek554

Banned
yet the one thing you leave out is how much system memory you have...
trek554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:10 AM   #3
Locclo

I seem to have a solution - I'm not sure which of these worked, or what combination, but playing around with the settings helped. Go into the settings and turn off:
PhysX
DX11 Settings
DX11 Tessellations

Also, set the game to run in windowed mode. I've been playing for the past 20 minutes with no issues other than the odd FPS drop (which might be due to my own build not being 100% up to snuff with the recommended settings).
Locclo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:20 AM   #4
trek554

Banned
again how much system memory do you have?
Old 11-23-2011, 12:48 AM   #5
Locclo

Update: Seems to have only been a temporary fix. I might try something else tomorrow, but I'm heading off to bed for now. I managed to play the game for around an hour, then it crashed again (same error) and now I can't load it up past the main menu.
Locclo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:51 AM   #6
The_Master627

Ah sorry, I completely forgot to include that. 4 GB.

As mentioned, DX11 is already off and I do also have PhysX off. I tried windowed and it seemed like it could have potentially worked, but I crashed soon after that thought. Not sure on if it actually improved, but if so it was only marginally.
The_Master627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:27 AM   #7
nagumo999

I don't get why people are still using a 32-bit OS when they're running Win7.

1. Open command prompt with Adminitrator rights. To do this, go to Programs, Accessories, right-click on Command Prompt and select "Run as Administrator."

2. Enter the following at the prompt and press enter: bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 3072

3. Close the prompt and restart the computer.

You may also try disabling Physx if you have it enabled. Physx process take up memory on your video card, and if you don't have a dedicated card for Physx you may run into complications with both the 3D rendering and physics calcs being performed on the same card.

Installing 4GB of RAM with a 32bit OS was a waste. At best, using the above command, programs can only use a total of 3.5GB of RAM. That includes the RAM on your graphics card. Remember, that's 3.5GB in the total pool. The more memory your video card has, the less available for applications themselves in the pool.

If you want to see how the RAM is being allocated. In device manager, view - resources by type, and look at Memory. The top several devices listed will be the devices eating the most of your RAM (ie. the system board or DRAM and video card).

It's time to move to a x64 version of Win7. Otherwise, no point in 4GB of system RAM.
nagumo999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:18 AM   #8
trek554

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Master627 View Post
Ah sorry, I completely forgot to include that. 4 GB.

As mentioned, DX11 is already off and I do also have PhysX off. I tried windowed and it seemed like it could have potentially worked, but I crashed soon after that thought. Not sure on if it actually improved, but if so it was only marginally.
well you are running out of memory with a 1.5 gb card and 32bit os. you only have 3.5gb available in a 32bit os. your os alone is probably using around 1gb while your video card is using 1.5gb. that means when you start the game you only have about 1gb of ram available. even less if you have left any programs running. why on earth would you install a 32bit version of windows 7 in the first place?
Old 11-23-2011, 03:51 AM   #9
The_Master627

Thank you very much nagumo999! I just played for 40 minutes without a crash! I will move to 64-bit eventually, but until now I have not had a problem like this, everything runs well, and now that trend continues.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:03 AM   #10
Ricky Nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagumo999 View Post
I don't get why people are still using a 32-bit OS when they're running Win7.
Because there is lower software compatibility with a 64bit OS, especially older software and games which people still use regularly and don't want to lose the functionality of just so they can use even more RAM they don't even need. Guess what, 3Gb of RAM is still more than most people will ever need. That will of course change in the next few years, but right now, and definitely 2 years ago when Win7 came out, not an issue. I installed Windows 7 when it came out, there hasn't been a single good reason telling me I shold have picked 64bit.

People running 32bit OSs have basically no problems or issues by doing this. Just because a single game that isn't coded properly gives an error is not a compelling argument for going to all the trouble of reinstalling an OS.
Ricky Nihil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:17 AM   #11
trek554

Banned
I have been using 64 bit since right after Vista came out and not one time have I ever had a 64 bit related issue. a gamer is many times more likely to run into issues trying to play modern games and do modern tasks while being constrained by a 32 bit os. heck there are many times during the day where I am using over 3gb and sometimes even 4gb of physical memory with the rest of my 8gb being cached. I could not even use my pc like I do now with a 32 bit os and I would have to shut down everything just to fire up a game.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:59 PM   #12
nagumo999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Nihil View Post
Because there is lower software compatibility with a 64bit OS, especially older software and games which people still use regularly and don't want to lose the functionality of just so they can use even more RAM they don't even need. Guess what, 3Gb of RAM is still more than most people will ever need. That will of course change in the next few years, but right now, and definitely 2 years ago when Win7 came out, not an issue. I installed Windows 7 when it came out, there hasn't been a single good reason telling me I shold have picked 64bit.

People running 32bit OSs have basically no problems or issues by doing this. Just because a single game that isn't coded properly gives an error is not a compelling argument for going to all the trouble of reinstalling an OS.
What a steaming pile. First off. 3GB is the total amount of RAM available in the pool, not what's available in system RAM (by default, without the switch I posted, the pool is 2GB)! That means your system RAM and video RAM together! Add in the fact that modern day gaming cards are using between 1GB to 2GB of RAM and that leaves you critically starved for RAM when running applications.

A 32bit OS has a maximum addressable RAM limitation of 4GB. It's 2011, soon to be 2012, and we've long past the point where a total memory pool of 4GB is sufficient on modern PC's. A 64bit OS can have a maximum pool of 16 exabytes (that's sixteen million terabytes). While most modern CPU's have a limit of 52-bit with 48-bits of virtual memory (4 petabytes and 256 terabytes respectively). That leaves room well into the future.

Now, the compatibility notion is just that. Anything so old that it won't run under a modern 64bit OS can easily be run in a VM under a hypervisor (and most time will operate under one of the older 32bit compatibility modes). Somehow, with his setup, I doubt he's looking to run old DOS or Win3.11 games. If he is he can run the DOSbox VM or an older Windows VM like XP.

Last edited by nagumo999: 11-23-2011 at 01:02 PM.
nagumo999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:11 PM   #13
The_Master627

I do sometimes run some old games, oldest I can think of at the moment being Total Annihilation, so usually not dated as far as DOS. I never said "I'm never switching to 64-bit and you can't make me!". I've had this computer for quite some time now, my father had it before me. I believe back then he installed this OS because 64-bit was incompatible with many things he used for his work on it, and I've kept it because it still works for everything. Obviously I will move to 64-bit eventually when it is necessary, and it isn't just yet.

Continue lunging at each others throats if you want, though. I'll be sitting over here enjoying Arkham City now that it's playable.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:28 AM   #14
_Lynx

In Unreal Engine 3 this error can also happen when the game attempts to load a corrupted or incompatible package. Try verifying integrity of game cache.
_Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Batman: Arkham City