Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Fallout series

Old 11-24-2011, 05:56 AM   #1
pigeonmasta

Fallout New Vegas Crash (New Game)

Curse you steam for offering cheap games that don't work on my PC for some reason.

Here's the deal: I just purchased and downloaded Fallout NV yesterday, and tried playing today. I can run the launcher utility fine. I can edit my graphics settings through it (although it still did its auto-detect) and play with settings. I launch the game, and get to the title screen. Everything works like when I played Fallout 3, except that when I try to start a new game, it crashes!

The game pauses for a second, the intro movie begins to play and then it crashes to desktop with the dialog box "Fallout New Vegas Has Stopped Working!" and no other error messages to speak of.

I have tried installing the d3d9.dll fix for NVidia
I have tried editing multi-core threading though the .ini
I have disabled intro movies through the .ini
I have verified the steam game cache (after the above steps)
I've tried running fallout.exe in compatibility mode (Win XP[Now disabled])

...And it still doesn't work. I've exhausted the first 5 pages of Google fixes for this.

Current PC Specs:
Lenovo IdeaPad Y570
windows 7 (x64)
Intel Core i5-2410M CPU (Quad 2.30GHz)
NVidia GT555M (1024MB DX11 etc.)

All my windows updates are current
All my NVidia drivers are current
I was playing Crysis on here last week...

I'm pretty sure this is a compatibility issue, but I don't know how so.

Any help of suggestions are greatly appreciated. I don't like to think I spent that $10 for nothing.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:32 AM   #2
Dr Scuttles

Can you run other Gamebryo games okay? Specifically Fallout 3 if you own it.

If you have Optimus, have you tried forcing Nvidia control panel to run both FalloutNV.exe and FalloutNVLauncher.exe with your GT555M? I'd try that first. Maybe some weird incompatibility with integrated graphics.

I'm hesitant to recommend it, but have you tried the New Vegas configator?
http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloa...e.php?id=40442
It opens up a bunch of advanced options, but it may be possible to mess things up further depending on your technical knowledge.

I don't think it would have anything to do with your problem, but if you have over 4gb of RAM, have you tried running the 4gb memory enabler?
http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloa...e.php?id=35262

Other than that... I'm not entirely sure. You could always try to verify integrity of game cache in Steam.
You could maybe even delete local content and redownload... but that's a pain in the to bother with and may not change anything.
Dr Scuttles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:38 AM   #3
pigeonmasta

I have optimus, but I've set it so the switch enables it for everything (Programs default to global settings, and global settings are forced to High Performance GPU). I'm currently reinstalling but that'll take a few hours.

I only have 4GB DDR3 RAM to begin with, but I'll look into the configurer if it still doesn't work.

Suggestions or fixes are still welcome.
pigeonmasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:36 AM   #4
KienP

I have also Lenovo Y570 (but with 8Gb of ram). New Vegas crashes exactly in the same way - when playing intro movie.
But after several crashes, the game finally managed to run correctly. The frame rate was perfectly smooth. But when I quit the game, it ended with yet another crash. Now I can't open NV properly. it exits to the desktop again.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #5
stoneysilence

To find the actual error that it crashes with do this:
Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Event Viewer->Windows Logs->Application and then scroll down till you see a Red circle with a white x in it and check to see if that was New Vegas. Copy and paste the error message here.
stoneysilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
pigeonmasta

I reinstalled and recieved the exact same error. Here is the error report via stoneysilence's post.

Faulting application name: FalloutNV.exe, version: 1.4.0.525, time stamp: 0x4e0d50ed
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0186e172
Faulting process id: 0x21a4
Faulting application start time: 0x01ccab1cd3efba3d
Faulting application path: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas\FalloutNV.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 2939994a-1710-11e1-86e7-b870f414c4b9

Hope that helps. I'm going to try some frame rate limiting .ini changes I saw so see if that helps.

Last edited by pigeonmasta: 11-24-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:52 PM   #7
pigeonmasta

Capping the framerate to 60FPS doesn't help anything, and neither does disabling VSync (Annother reccomendation).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KienP View Post
I have also Lenovo Y570 (but with 8Gb of ram). New Vegas crashes exactly in the same way - when playing intro movie.
But after several crashes, the game finally managed to run correctly. The frame rate was perfectly smooth. But when I quit the game, it ended with yet another crash. Now I can't open NV properly. it exits to the desktop again.
KienP, how many times did you try to start New Vegas before it worked properly?
Old 11-24-2011, 07:12 PM   #8
pigeonmasta

I've found another issue. Whenever I try to verify integrity of game cache, it says 1 file is missing and will be re-downloaded... Then it downloads it and if I try to verify again it says it's missing and tries again. I'm looking at fixes for this now.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:25 PM   #9
priestnmatador

i have a lenovo ideapad too. i7, 8gb of ram....crashes every time I try to start a new game
Old 11-24-2011, 08:56 PM   #10
Joreel

It seems like it's an issue with the Lenovo laptops. I have an Ideapad Y560 (win7 x64, 8 gig of ram, 1 gig dd3 ATI 5770 card, so I shouldn't have any issues) and it did the same thing to me, so I uninstalled the game and reinstalled it and now it works fine. I had tried the check file integrety and defrag the game, but neither worked, so I reinstalled the game and poof, it works now.
Joreel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:51 AM   #11
priestnmatador

I backed up the files, reinstalled, opened the game and it worked like a charm.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:26 AM   #12
enefpwnsnoobs

im having a crash issue but i have neither of the computers you guys own, i have a built one.

http://i39.tinypic.com/350v384.png

i just deleted and redownloaded and installed everything, cleaneed the registry and all, and nothing.
enefpwnsnoobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:35 AM   #13
pigeonmasta

Quote:
Originally Posted by priestnmatador View Post
I backed up the files, reinstalled, opened the game and it worked like a charm.

I'm going to try this now.

enefpwnsnoobs, I'll try a registry clean, but it looks like you're crashing at the launcher. I can pass the launcher and go all the way to the main menu. I can change settings, whatever, but starting a new game causes it to crash shortly after the intro video begins.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:10 AM   #14
JimmyMcNulty

Unfortunately as well as being one of the best games you are ever likely to play, it is also one of the buggiest.

1st time i played i got a F:NV has stopped working message after i had quit, and just now whilst in game i got a total crash that can only be rectified by turning off and on your computer.

But it's all apart of the fun.
JimmyMcNulty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:27 AM   #15
pigeonmasta

I backed up, uninstalled, cleaned the registry, and reinstalled from the backup but to no avail. At least I saw 2 seconds of the intro movie instead of just 1 this time.

This is really starting to irritate me.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Fallout series