Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 11-24-2011, 07:08 AM   #1
picary

Restore steam game files - with Staging folder?

How do we restore a Steam game with JUST the game files?
  1. Formatted computer
  2. Installed Steam
  3. Exited Steam
  4. Copied "Assassins Creed Brotherhood" to Steamapps/common
  5. Restarted Steam

Steam still downloads entire game.

Seems there is a staging folder.

I copied all the game files in staging/Assassins Creed Brotherhood, but Steam still downloads all files.

Anybody have any suggestions?
Old 11-24-2011, 07:12 AM   #2
MADDOGGE

Not sure what you mean by restore. You can either backup your games with the Steam backup program or you can simply keep a copy of your steamapps folder safe and copy and paste at you leisure when required. Verify the game afterwards and you are good to go. The game will naturally download any patches or updates that happened after the backup was made but shouldn't download the whole game.
MADDOGGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:17 AM   #3
Epsilon

Try verifying the cache?

I just tried to simulate this by closing down Steam, deleting the .acf for Evil Genius, and then restarting Steam and installed it, and it discovered the existing files just fine. So it ought to be doing the same for Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, I would have thought.
Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:28 AM   #4
picary

The problem is... after you install the game, it creates a "steamapps/staging/assassins creed brotherhood" folder.

If you copy your game files into this folder, exit steam, verify game cache, Steam will still download the entire game..
picary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:33 AM   #5
Epsilon

Under the new content system, Steam downloads into the staging folder, then copies it across into common when it's done. This is so that things like patch downloads don't start just overwriting the game files when the patch starts, leaving your game broken until it's done.

So you want to leave your files in common, and then verify. Ignore the staging folder.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:41 AM   #6
gtboy2

same problem with me. i had the tiberium war and i trying the copy to other pc..
just the freaking staging folder. and i do verify.. it not working it still downloading entire game.
anyone can help ?
by previous just overwrite command and do verify is done
gtboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #7
TOG-Vulcan

Hi
Let steam download some MBs of the game! then save the name of the game folder on the staging folder. then use delete local content for the game and after that exit steam
then make a new folder in common and rename it exactly what it was in the staging like (Assassins Creed Brotherhood) and copy the game files in it.
after that login again to steam and press install buttom. it tries to found your game files.
TOG-Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:59 PM   #8
AluminumHaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOG-Vulcan View Post
Hi
Let steam download some MBs of the game! then save the name of the game folder on the staging folder. then use delete local content for the game and after that exit steam
then make a new folder in common and rename it exactly what it was in the staging like (Assassins Creed Brotherhood) and copy the game files in it.
after that login again to steam and press install buttom. it tries to found your game files.
This works. Let me try and English this up.

Step 1) Press Install for desired game. Wait a few minutes and let it download 50 MB or so.

Step 2) Go look in the steamapps/staging folder. The game you are trying to download will have a folder in there. Copy the name of that folder down exactly as it appears.

Step 3) Go back to Steam. Right click on your game in the list and choose: Delete Local Content. Steam will uninstall the game.

Step 4) Exit Steam.

Step 5) Go into steam\steamapps\common\ and create a new folder. Rename this folder to what it was called in the staging folder.

Step 6) Copy your backed up files into this new folder.

Step 7) Start Steam. Select your game in the list on the left, and press the Install button at the top of Steam.
At this point Steam will verify the integrity of the game files and download only those that are modified (patched exe, ini files etc.).

Step 8) After Steam completes, play your game.

My friend just did this with the game Vampires and it worked, it only needed to redownload 160 MB instead of the several gigs that it is.

Good luck and thank you so much to the poster of this trick, you rock.
AluminumHaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:11 PM   #9
psyko12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AluminumHaste View Post
This works. Let me try and English this up.

Step 1) Press Install for desired game. Wait a few minutes and let it download 50 MB or so.

Step 2) Go look in the steamapps/staging folder. The game you are trying to download will have a folder in there. Copy the name of that folder down exactly as it appears.

Step 3) Go back to Steam. Right click on your game in the list and choose: Delete Local Content. Steam will uninstall the game.

Step 4) Exit Steam.

Step 5) Go into steam\steamapps\common\ and create a new folder. Rename this folder to what it was called in the staging folder.

Step 6) Copy your backed up files into this new folder.

Step 7) Start Steam. Select your game in the list on the left, and press the Install button at the top of Steam.
At this point Steam will verify the integrity of the game files and download only those that are modified (patched exe, ini files etc.).

Step 8) After Steam completes, play your game.

My friend just did this with the game Vampires and it worked, it only needed to redownload 160 MB instead of the several gigs that it is.

Good luck and thank you so much to the poster of this trick, you rock.
This works. I've done it with my games transferring them to another machine.

1st, I log off steam on my main rig navigate to steamapps/common copy the game I wanted to play on another machine over to an external drive.

2nd, Find the steamapps/common folder on the other machine and paste there.

3rd, Log in to steam, go to library click on grayed out game that was copied and click install, it should/will detect existing files if you pasted on the correct path.

4th, once done verify the game just to be sure, then play and enjoy.
psyko12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:36 AM   #10
Massacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyko12 View Post
This works. I've done it with my games transferring them to another machine.

1st, I log off steam on my main rig navigate to steamapps/common copy the game I wanted to play on another machine over to an external drive.

2nd, Find the steamapps/common folder on the other machine and paste there.

3rd, Log in to steam, go to library click on grayed out game that was copied and click install, it should/will detect existing files if you pasted on the correct path.

4th, once done verify the game just to be sure, then play and enjoy.
that seems to have worked... i think. it is downloading 4.4GB instead of the 10GB it was trying to download the first time. must be the hi-res texture pack?
Massacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:01 AM   #11
Epsilon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massacher View Post
that seems to have worked... i think. it is downloading 4.4GB instead of the 10GB it was trying to download the first time. must be the hi-res texture pack?
That's how big it was when I downloaded it the other day, so that's probably what it is.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:02 AM   #12
Massacher

also i didn't see any staging folder. where is it located?
Massacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips