Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Super Meat Boy

Old 11-24-2011, 08:39 AM   #1
DuckieMcduck

Team Meat's Response to Steam Cloud Support demand

Here's the response the user StanGe received from Team Meat through their twitter after asking about Steam Cloud support and other promised features that didn't get implemented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamMeat
@StanGe205 Never promised cloud support. [...] I gave everyone that owns the game unlimited free content with Super Meat World. I've done all I'm going to do with SMB.
Seriously, what's wrong with them? What's so absurd in adding Cloud Support and making their players happy?

Last edited by DuckieMcduck: 11-24-2011 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-24-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
borsdy

I am assuming it is laziness. People really bought SMB almost a year ago with the expectation of a Mac port coming soon. I also remember seeing a recent tweet about cloud support coming in the same update!

I probably shouldn't start waiting for cloud or gamepad support in binding of isaac either

Last edited by borsdy: 11-24-2011 at 05:01 PM.
borsdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:19 PM   #3
gibbeynator

Latest update on that front is that they're too busy making their new game to worry about Steam Cloud.
gibbeynator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
CannibalBob

Aww lame. Anyway, you can easily use Syncplicity as a replacement. It's not as good as Steam cloud (since it syncs immediately when the file changes; not when the game quits), but it works.
CannibalBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:20 AM   #5
Psygnosis

I don't care about unlimited free content. I don't want to lose my save and it'd be nice to easily switch between my laptop and desktop.
Psygnosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:14 PM   #6
SlugNut

Well Team Meat is not obligated to add more to the game, especially if they specifically state that they wouldn't. While many other developers may be able to take the extra time to add more content and features post launch some don't have the time or resources, or just don't want to, and honestly they don't have to. They delivered on their promises and are not obligated to do anymore. As much as I too desperately wish for Steam Cloud support, I recognize that it is not their responsibility to do so.
SlugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:34 PM   #7
Miraglyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlugNut View Post
especially if they specifically state that they wouldn't ... They delivered on their promises
If you'd read any of the above posts or clicked the links, you'd see that you've got it backwards - they specifically stated that they would add cloud support, in at least two public areas (Twitter and their own website), and individually promised it to customers for whom future cloud support was a necessity in them not claiming a refund for multiple copies of the game (that they could not play without cloud support thanks to the game's current save setup).

As such they have not delivered on their promises on which some of their sales explicitly lay.
Miraglyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:24 PM   #8
Mr. Draco

Team Meat has pulled all kinds of . They specifically marketed the steam version of super meat boy having super meat world, I only bought the steam version of the game for this content. They give it to us half-assed, no leader boards, no recording times, and then pull the "self entitlement" card if you complain about their "free unlimited content".
Mr. Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:11 PM   #9
skiddlywibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psygnosis View Post
I don't care about unlimited free content. I don't want to lose my save and it'd be nice to easily switch between my laptop and desktop.
You have a weird sense of priority. You can just take the save file strait out of SMB and take it to whatever place you please on a memory stick. To get the other content you'd need to mod the game, which is much harder.
skiddlywibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:10 AM   #10
Smertnik

You can easily secure save files of most games by yourself. It takes what, two minutes to find the save folder and copy paste the files? Cloud is a nice feature but by far not something every developer on Steam is obliged to do.
Smertnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:45 AM   #11
Miraglyth

It takes a couple minutes to manually move or back up the save every time. And when that's somewhere insecure (memory sticks could be lost etc) you're still at risk of losing it.

The process may be straightforward if you do it regularly, but this is 2011. Fiddly inconvenient PlayStation memory card setups are around 15 years old, and every competent developer out there learned better years ago.

Edit: The "unlimited free content" plays in to this because it can't be saved at all (which I'd call a limit btw), explaining why probably only 10 people bother to play it.

Last edited by Miraglyth: 12-11-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:04 AM   #12
kristo

Banned
Awesome, after this I'll never buy their games on day 1. I'll buy them in bundles or super discounts. Those ...
kristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 09:06 PM   #13
Jalan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraglyth View Post
Edit: The "unlimited free content" plays in to this because it can't be saved at all (which I'd call a limit btw), explaining why probably only 10 people bother to play it.
I hadn't looked at Super Meat World in a while. After rifling through what's available, it looks like the predictions most had a year ago for user created level content came true, in that it's all mainly content submitted that's near blisteringly hard - there's no medium ground to cover for the people who might look for an ease, even slightly, in overall difficulty.

My main guess toward the same amount of people playing it would be that those are the rough estimate of players who found the normal game to be a ridiculous breeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristo View Post
Awesome, after this I'll never buy their games on day 1.
I thought for certain the fact that the game saw... what was it again, 10 (?) patches during the first week of release that most people would be put off from dropping money on another game from them the minute it goes up to buy.

Also, on topic - has any indie game dev ever elaborated on how hard (or easy) it is to incorporate Steam Cloud into a game they've released on Steam?

Last edited by Jalan: 12-11-2011 at 09:13 PM.
Jalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:13 PM   #14
Miraglyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalan View Post
has any indie game dev ever elaborated on how hard (or easy) it is to incorporate Steam Cloud into a game they've released on Steam?
The most relevant thing I can find is from the makers of Space Pirates and Zombies, just under 4 months ago: "all credit to Steam here, they hooked it up for us "
Old 12-12-2011, 12:39 AM   #15
OmegaRed60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smertnik View Post
You can easily secure save files of most games by yourself. It takes what, two minutes to find the save folder and copy paste the files? Cloud is a nice feature but by far not something every developer on Steam is obliged to do.
It would be this simple if SMB was the only game I owned. Try doing this for over 125 games.

I also have to call BS on this "we're done with the game" crap. If they were truly done they'd quit adding new achievements. Sure they aren't obligated to do much of anything, but they should be aware of how much more helpful this would be than most other features they've added.
OmegaRed60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Super Meat Boy