Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Super Meat Boy

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 10:55 PM   #31
OmegaRed60
 
 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Reputation: 1004
Posts: 4,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinRivas View Post
Edmund McMillen answered the question of why the game won't get Steam Cloud:

it has something to do with the current state of our build, its unstable and if we around with it more it will break. this is a big issue because all the tools we used to make it are way out of date because tommy has been working on the new engine for the next games.. so we cant go back at this point.

i doubt there will ever be steam cloud.
If that's the case, then I can accept it then. It's unfortunate, but at least they gave what sounds like an honest reason.
OmegaRed60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:22 AM   #32
MartinRivas
 
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Reputation: 234
Posts: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvick View Post
Well my response to this is that I will never buy another Team Meat game ever and if they put their games in an indie humble bundle in the future I'll make sure I can completely remove any and all money going their way.
I thought you were serious for a moment...
MartinRivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:57 AM   #33
DekuNut
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Reputation: 17
Posts: 51
Rediculous.
Very very dissapointed.
DekuNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:36 PM   #34
richard.eid
 
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Reputation: 2169
Posts: 5,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinRivas View Post
Edmund McMillen answered the question of why the game won't get Steam Cloud:

it has something to do with the current state of our build, its unstable and if we around with it more it will break. this is a big issue because all the tools we used to make it are way out of date because tommy has been working on the new engine for the next games.. so we cant go back at this point.

i doubt there will ever be steam cloud.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamMeat
@StanGe205 Never promised cloud support. [...] I gave everyone that owns the game unlimited free content with Super Meat World. I've done all I'm going to do with SMB.
I haven't played SMB yet, but I own it. Is what he said basically saying they've developed the game into one that's not stable? What are the main complaints, aside from no cloud integration, with this game? Does it crash a lot? How do you develop a game, continue working on it until it reaches an unstable state then leave it?

Could someone elaborate for me on what he means by "unstable"?
richard.eid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:44 PM   #35
serieus1
 
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Reputation: 1005
Posts: 2,105
Game runs fine for me, never had a problem other than maybe playing the same damn level again and again and again and again.............wait.......where am I?
serieus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:05 AM   #36
MartinRivas
 
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Reputation: 234
Posts: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard.eid View Post
I haven't played SMB yet, but I own it. Is what he said basically saying they've developed the game into one that's not stable? What are the main complaints, aside from no cloud integration, with this game? Does it crash a lot? How do you develop a game, continue working on it until it reaches an unstable state then leave it?

Could someone elaborate for me on what he means by "unstable"?
I never had any problem with the game. The game works, at least for me, perfectly. The engine might be unstable but that doesn't mean it will crash, the reason he won't try to change anything is to avoid breaking the game.
MartinRivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:58 AM   #37
MokeSavvy
 
Banned
Join Date: Mar 2011
Reputation: 3
Posts: 47
Considering Steam Cloud is a horrendously buggy piece of , there's no great loss here. Surely you have a memory stick around? Just use that.
MokeSavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:24 AM   #38
ASecondOpinion
 
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Reputation: 710
Posts: 3,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by borsdy View Post
I probably shouldn't start waiting for cloud or gamepad support in binding of isaac either
Implying gamepad support can be natively added in a flash game.
ASecondOpinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:46 PM   #39
Miraglyth
 
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Reputation: 90
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard.eid View Post
What are the main complaints, aside from no cloud integration, with this game? Does it crash a lot? How do you develop a game, continue working on it until it reaches an unstable state then leave it?

Could someone elaborate for me on what he means by "unstable"?
For a lot of people the game always crashes on first startup (each time the PC is started) but always works fine on the second and beyond.

For a few people the game has a habit of randomly crashing at the end of levels, apparently something to do with the leaderboard.

For some people looking at the leaderboard occasionally causes the game to crash.

The game has crazy framerate handling. For many players this results in stuff like level obstacles moving too fast, or Meat Boy being unable to jump. Seems to be worse in retro-style levels. Switching to windowed mode and/or forcing vsync on helps but is not a precise solution, and recording with Fraps leads to some crazy things happening like the audio being sped up.

Occasionally the game will stutter for a second or two, after which it will return to normal only your character will have continued moving as per their momentum at the time - even through walls! As this is unpredictable most of the time it leads to death or becoming trapped. Some players have reported it helping them clear the level they were playing :P
Miraglyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:04 PM   #40
MartinRivas
 
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Reputation: 234
Posts: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraglyth View Post
For a lot of people the game always crashes on first startup (each time the PC is started) but always works fine on the second and beyond.

For a few people the game has a habit of randomly crashing at the end of levels, apparently something to do with the leaderboard.

For some people looking at the leaderboard occasionally causes the game to crash.

The game has crazy framerate handling. For many players this results in stuff like level obstacles moving too fast, or Meat Boy being unable to jump. Seems to be worse in retro-style levels. Switching to windowed mode and/or forcing vsync on helps but is not a precise solution, and recording with Fraps leads to some crazy things happening like the audio being sped up.

Occasionally the game will stutter for a second or two, after which it will return to normal only your character will have continued moving as per their momentum at the time - even through walls! As this is unpredictable most of the time it leads to death or becoming trapped. Some players have reported it helping them clear the level they were playing :P
Wow, I never had any of those (excluding a few crashes before a patch came out that fixed everything for me).

Still, to the one that asked, the game is great and you should play it.
MartinRivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:33 PM   #41
Miraglyth
 
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Reputation: 90
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinRivas View Post
Still, to the one that asked, the game is great and you should play it.
Oh agreed there. It's still the game I'd recommend most on Steam. Just that its problems (the issues listed above and the devs' unreasonable summer and christmas achievements this year) can't be ignored :P
Miraglyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:10 PM   #42
Kanucmee
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Reputation: 390
Posts: 318
Unstable? I'd say yes...

Every time I tab out of the game and attempt to go back into it, sometimes it will stick to a black screen and never return. Sometimes I can get lucky and have it resume where I left it.
Kanucmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:17 AM   #43
Optimus357
 
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Reputation: 150
Posts: 1,138
Steam Cloud is the kind of idea that will end up in all games eventually, so for Team Meat to be so flippant about it is pretty naive.
Optimus357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:06 PM   #44
ThunderPeel2001
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Reputation: 0
Posts: 13
Did this go live, does anyone know? I've seen "syncing" messages from Steam -- but I'm on a new computer and I have to start from the beginning :-/
ThunderPeel2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:11 PM   #45
unknownnf
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Reputation: 21
Posts: 117
Tipical arrogant beginner programmer, simple stuff. They engage in things they can't finish, are 100% certain that nobody can outsmart them and usually fail.
unknownnf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Super Meat Boy


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.