Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V

Old 11-25-2011, 07:11 PM   #1
Puchi Kitsune

Skyrim randomly exits to desktop...

...not crashing, but exiting. As if, I closed the program myself. There is nothing in application log recorded regarding the "crash", leaves me to believe that Skyrim exits itself, and not crashing.

It started happening after Bethesda patched Skyrim to tie it to steam more forcefully. Before the patch, I would play for hours. Now, Skyrim would simply exit randomly on any reason.

Like right now, it exited when I tried to take steam screenshot, with F12. I pressed F12, and game just closed. Now I have to reload last safe that was a while ago.

Does anybody know if steam keeps application logs? I am wondering if it is steam that is closing Skyrim, if it doesn't seem right.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
Xinra

This is referred to as CTD (Crash To Desktop).

This stopped doing it for me, after I stopped using any Skyrim Mods... and I went back to my default Skrim.INI and SkyrimPrefs.INI files.

If you're not doing any of that sort of thing, then I'd suggest upgrading your video driver. I know AMD updated theirs on Nov.18.
Xinra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:42 PM   #3
Gutlesswonder

The silent crash. What stopped it for me was the LAA mod. Before and after the patch. Now I'm back to hours of play without a crash.
Gutlesswonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:45 PM   #4
Warlander

This is getting rediculous, they really need to patch this game soon, its so good but getting harder to play.
Warlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:45 PM   #5
EChondo

Banned
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1013

Try that
EChondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
Warlander

No thanks id rather keep complaining untill bethesda fixes there own game.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:50 PM   #7
EChondo

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlander View Post
No thanks id rather keep complaining untill bethesda fixes there own game.
Then you're a lost cause. There is no hope for your game, continue complaining about something YOU can fix RIGHT NOW for your own game.

I gave you a fix and you still complain. You're hopeless.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:57 PM   #8
Claw3

Why do people think the consumer needs to find workarounds to the issues with this game? I didn't pay $60 so I can spend time troubleshooting a broken game. This game has so many bugs it's unreal. Most definitely not getting the next TES on release date, it's been nothing but headaches.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:01 PM   #9
EChondo

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claw3 View Post
Why do people think the consumer needs to find workarounds to the issues with this game? I didn't pay $60 so I can spend time troubleshooting a broken game. This game has so many bugs it's unreal. Most definitely not getting the next TES on release date, it's been nothing but headaches.
Well obviously this must be your first TES
Old 11-25-2011, 10:03 PM   #10
whdemon

Set Shadows To Low
Dont use mods.

Temp fix till patch
whdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:13 PM   #11
Claw3

First TES on PC yes. Played Morrowind on XboX, now THAT was some good
Old 11-25-2011, 10:19 PM   #12
Puchi Kitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutlesswonder View Post
The silent crash. What stopped it for me was the LAA mod. Before and after the patch. Now I'm back to hours of play without a crash.
Yea... I figured that LAA is a way to go. It still gets to me that this day and age, when I am contemplating updating my i7 rig to 24GB of ram (because ram is extremely cheap now), games are being compiled as 32-bit applications without LAA flag, which pretty much limits them to only 2GB of logical memory.

Anyway... I remembered, I installed one of those insane Ultra Texture packs when steam patched skyrim. Taken a look, and it was actually 240MB of extra textures that skyrim was loading.

Let's see if that fixes the issue...
Puchi Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:35 PM   #13
bfflogamez

I'm on Windows 7 x64 and have been having a lot of CTD issues with Skyrim. As people have described, it doesn't so much "crash" in terms of freezing, etc.; the whole program just suddenly closes. It's particular likely to happen during fast-traveling and moving between loading areas.

IT IS TRUE THIS IS PURELY A STEAM PROBLEM, in my experience. No surprises there. I did 3 things to resolve both the CTD issue as well as some of the general glitchiness (things turning purple) which were, in order:

1. Changed audio options for the OS to 44,500 bits vs. 48,000 in the sound options.
2. Changed TESV.exe with CFF Explorer program to allow more than 3 gb of ram to be used.
3. Started launching TESV.exe directly, w/o loading or going through STEAM.

To be honest I think only the 3rd thing there made a real difference, but the other 2 didn't seem to hurt anything so they're still in place too.

The whole problem is STEAM, and this isn't the first time. Almost every time I have downloaded a game through them it is a huge headache to get it working right.

After finally fixing the SKYRIM CTD problem, Steam then AUTO-UPDATED the file so that it could no longer be launched without having Steam active -- and what do you know, the CTD issue resumed. Thanks, Steam!

Fortunately I was able to right-click on TESV.exe, select "Properties," and copy a Previous pre-patched version of the file, to overwrite the patched one. Now, I am CTD free again, until I launch STEAM again.

I will never pay Steam for a game again after this. With the exception of Just Cause 2, every game I've ever wasted my money ordering through them as been a horrible, headache-inducing experience (to get working properly). PC gaming industry in general has only itself to blame for its demise -- things just plain don't work very well -- but there are less problematic alternatives than Steam for direct download purchase.

Anyway, hope this info helps someone. I am posting it to a couple CTD-related threads, because it completely resolved the CTD issue for me.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:36 PM   #14
Warlander

yeah fine with my ing i broke down and tried the 4gb file, and i just played for a almost 2h with no crash or missing textures.

Cant beleive something so simple was overlooked.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:54 PM   #15
trueblaze

Just so everyone knows, the 4G mod is working again. The guy updated the file so it works with Steam's new patch. Don't have the link or I'd post it, but I belive it's in the Skyrim news section somewhere if you open the steam library.
trueblaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V