Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Battlefield series

Old 11-25-2011, 10:53 PM   #1
=UAL=Shock&Awe

How do we fly jets and helicopters?

It's very hard to fly them. Do we use invert or no invert? Any tips would be helpful!

Edit: Also, do you guys use the keyboard or mouse?

Last edited by =UAL=Shock&Awe: 11-25-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:01 PM   #2
wonderboy2402

Practice. Practice. Practice.

First before you worry about anything else. You MUST unlock flares. You are going to be at a huge disadvantage to everyone else flying if you dont have them.

I just use the default controls to fly.
wonderboy2402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:02 PM   #3
taodemon

For helicopters on mouse controls unbind the rolling (set it to keyboard A and D), and remap yaw (turning, normally A and D) to the mouse. I did the same thing for jets but only to keep things the same. As far as inverting goes it is probably up to personal preference. If I was using a joystick, or even the gamepad down to go up, up to go down is fine, but on the mouse I like up to go up, down to go down.

Flares are 300 points, which is 3 disables, or a full kill (100 disable, 50 destroy, 100 kill, or 200 if a 2 person vechicle).

For helicopters join a 1 player start server and land and take 2 flags and you got flares. Jets that becomes a bit more complicated but getting 300 points isn't all that hard.

Last edited by taodemon: 11-25-2011 at 11:06 PM.
taodemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:04 PM   #4
NorthernKingdom

Banned
They aren't automobiles so if you're trying to drive them I can see why you're having problems.

I have throttle up set as shift when I fly helicopters. Find it much easier to control than using W.

Until you start getting defensive unlocks for those vehicles it doesn't matter hoe well you fly them you'll die unless the other team are morons and refuse to shoot at you.
NorthernKingdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:04 PM   #5
Thy_Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by =UAL=Shock&Awe View Post
It's very hard to drive them. Do we use invert or no invert? Any tips would be helpful!
First of all it's "Fly" not "Drive"

Secondly You need practice. Practice makes perfect. You should be familiar with the controls if you practice and then it's just a matter of time until you start to shoot down other jets, hellicopters, tanks etc.

Hope I helped!

Cheers!
Thy_Apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:18 PM   #6
=UAL=Shock&Awe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernKingdom View Post
They aren't automobiles so if you're trying to drive them I can see why you're having problems.

I have throttle up set as shift when I fly helicopters. Find it much easier to control than using W.

Until you start getting defensive unlocks for those vehicles it doesn't matter hoe well you fly them you'll die unless the other team are morons and refuse to shoot at you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thy_Apocalypse View Post
First of all it's "Fly" not "Drive"

Secondly You need practice. Practice makes perfect. You should be familiar with the controls if you practice and then it's just a matter of time until you start to shoot down other jets, hellicopters, tanks etc.

Hope I helped!

Cheers!
Oops, I meant fly.
=UAL=Shock&Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:48 PM   #7
Squallboogie01

I have no problem flying either the jet, or the helimachoppers with the default mouse and keyboards. I'm actually quite good at flying the helimachoppers, especially the scout heli. Of course I have been flying them since 1942 Desert Combat, but that's just me.
Squallboogie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:54 PM   #8
Lister of Smeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squallboogie01 View Post
I have no problem flying either the jet, or the helimachoppers with the default mouse and keyboards. I'm actually quite good at flying the helimachoppers, especially the scout heli. Of course I have been flying them since 1942 Desert Combat, but that's just me.
+1

DC flying, you had to be uber to master them planes/choppers compared to these tin cans!
Lister of Smeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:09 AM   #9
Smith001

Banned
Anyone uses a joystick?
I'm interested in getting one but I dunno which one is the most compatible and will do the job with BF3.
Smith001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:38 AM   #10
KwisatzHaderach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith001 View Post
Anyone uses a joystick?
I'm interested in getting one but I dunno which one is the most compatible and will do the job with BF3.
I bought one of those
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Saitek-Cybor.../dp/B001MGNWDI
used at eBay for only 2€ just for BF3. Works like a charm!
The important things are, that you have a third axis (twistable stick) so you can turn/yaw your aircraft, especially choppers.
Also a thottle control is pretty helpfull.

If you have some more to spend, I think most people go with this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-942...2296645&sr=1-1

With either one, you shouldnīt have any props.
I find it much more enjoyable to fly with a joystick, have become quite decent at maneuvering too. Only I lack the tactics to keep a chopper in the air longer than a few minutes, when theres EVERYTHING shooting at me (also my gunners must hate me as I still have to concentrate on my flying and dodging stuff instead of positioning them).

Last edited by KwisatzHaderach: 11-26-2011 at 12:41 AM.
KwisatzHaderach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:05 AM   #11
Smith001

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by KwisatzHaderach View Post
I bought one of those
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Saitek-Cybor.../dp/B001MGNWDI
used at eBay for only 2€ just for BF3. Works like a charm!
The important things are, that you have a third axis (twistable stick) so you can turn/yaw your aircraft, especially choppers.
Also a thottle control is pretty helpfull.

If you have some more to spend, I think most people go with this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-942...2296645&sr=1-1

With either one, you shouldnīt have any props.
I find it much more enjoyable to fly with a joystick, have become quite decent at maneuvering too. Only I lack the tactics to keep a chopper in the air longer than a few minutes, when theres EVERYTHING shooting at me (also my gunners must hate me as I still have to concentrate on my flying and dodging stuff instead of positioning them).
+1Rep, Thanks!
Ok so I checked and basically at the nearest store to my house (and at my price range) I got:

Logitech Attack 3 Joystick

Logitech Freedom 2.4 Cordless Joystick

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro

Saitek Cyborg V1 Flight Stick

Which one do you recommend the most?
Note: never used a joystick and I got Win7 x64.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:46 AM   #12
TriggRNC

You can maybe find a patient partner or someone in the same boat as you and play the bejesus out of the second co-op mission
TriggRNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:29 AM   #13
Quaaak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lister of Smeg View Post
+1

DC flying, you had to be uber to master them planes/choppers compared to these tin cans!
True, after DC every other helicopter/plane in a BF game was totaly easy mode.
Quaaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:21 AM   #14
KwisatzHaderach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith001 View Post
+1Rep, Thanks!
Ok so I checked and basically at the nearest store to my house (and at my price range) I got:

Logitech Attack 3 Joystick

Logitech Freedom 2.4 Cordless Joystick

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro

Saitek Cyborg V1 Flight Stick

Which one do you recommend the most?
Note: never used a joystick and I got Win7 x64.

Thanks in advance.
Well, Iīd still go for either the Extreme 3D or the Cyborg V1.

I wouldnīt recommend the Freedom one, wireless isnīt that great imo, and itīs just too expensive.
The Attack 3 seems to be a nice choice, only it hasnīt got a twistable stick, which is, as I said before, essential for flying choppers.

It depends on how much you want to spend: the Extreme 3D is probably 1/3 more expensive than the Cyborg...
KwisatzHaderach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:42 AM   #15
Smith001

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by KwisatzHaderach View Post
Well, Iīd still go for either the Extreme 3D or the Cyborg V1.

I wouldnīt recommend the Freedom one, wireless isnīt that great imo, and itīs just too expensive.
The Attack 3 seems to be a nice choice, only it hasnīt got a twistable stick, which is, as I said before, essential for flying choppers.

It depends on how much you want to spend: the Extreme 3D is probably 1/3 more expensive than the Cyborg...
Hmm is there any justification for the Logitech?
From what I've read overall the Cyborg is better... or is it?

I'e seen this comment on youtube about the Saitek Cyborg V1 Flight Stick and BC2, can you confirm it works the same at BF3?

Quote:
theres a little thrust control at the bottom, push up for lift, pull it down to drop

i push forward on the stick to dip the nose, pull back to raise it

left and right for roll

yaw/turning. i use the stick twist

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Battlefield series