Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V

Old 11-27-2011, 01:06 AM   #1
DrAstorReinhard

Exclamation Skyrim crashes on fast travel

Or when entering places, like a cave or something.

I have texture mods installed and a few mods that improve the game as in add more crafting items/food items and such. Nothing huge that would break the game.

I heard that ATI 58xx cards have problems, but I have a 5700 so I shouldn't be getting the problems?

I also heard that some of the HD textures could crash your game, is that true? I'm at my wits end since I can't really play the game now it's gotten so bad.

Please help?
Old 11-27-2011, 01:20 AM   #2
Malific

answer = LAA 4gb
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1013

The problem is Skyrim is only allowing itself to use 2gb of RAM. If it goes over you crash to desktop. This allows it to use 4gb.
Malific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:36 AM   #3
DrAstorReinhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malific View Post
answer = LAA 4gb
http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1013

The problem is Skyrim is only allowing itself to use 2gb of RAM. If it goes over you crash to desktop. This allows it to use 4gb.
Tried it, still crashes.
DrAstorReinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:39 AM   #4
Malific

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2241857
Audio tweak in the 6th post.

If that doesn't work read that ENTIRE thread, and you may find something that works for you specifically.
Malific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:00 AM   #5
DrAstorReinhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malific View Post
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2241857
Audio tweak in the 6th post.

If that doesn't work read that ENTIRE thread, and you may find something that works for you specifically.
Tried/read the whole thing. Didn't work.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:16 AM   #6
Gelbvieh

I've just installed a few high-res textures (for snow, characters, fire and water) and begun to have the same issues. I think it may be this.
Ridiculous if I can't even mod the game now.

Edit: Perhaps I should say, I have an ATI card too, though a different one from you (mobility HD 5650).

And a final edit: You're not getting random blue/purple/black textures, too are you?

Last edited by Gelbvieh: 11-27-2011 at 04:20 AM.
Gelbvieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:49 AM   #7
DrAstorReinhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbvieh View Post
I've just installed a few high-res textures (for snow, characters, fire and water) and begun to have the same issues. I think it may be this.
Ridiculous if I can't even mod the game now.

Edit: Perhaps I should say, I have an ATI card too, though a different one from you (mobility HD 5650).

And a final edit: You're not getting random blue/purple/black textures, too are you?
Actually I am. I can't believe texture packs are fing the game up this much...there has to be something else.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:18 PM   #8
rpg_trooper

Same issue on my end. Most likely texture mods causing this, because the game continues working flawlessly right after I disable (rename) the whole folder of them.

Thing is, like the others, I've also an ATI card (HD 5750) so I wouldn't be so surprised if it's a graphics adapter related issue.
I wouldn't mind sucking it up and just going without mods, but they add so much to the enjoyment and it would be a waste to not be able to make full use of them.

I haven't tried the 4GB tweak though, giving it a run now to see how it goes.

EDIT: Oh, and it might be worth noting that at times in the game, textures and meshes go missing and some NPCs end up walking around with missing heads awhile indoor areas go completely invisible. What a sore.

Last edited by rpg_trooper: 11-29-2011 at 03:22 PM.
rpg_trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:32 PM   #9
izihbo

I have a 5970.

I used to get that sometimes when fast travelling. But that stopped after using the 4GB tweak. However - since I am running 11.11b drivers - I can no longer user the 4GB tweak cause then my GPU/drivers/CAP no longer knows what I'm playing so it's going back to 1 gpu (5970 is a 2-in-1 gpu crossfire card).

My biggest problem now is that I cannot fast travel to a particular zone (screenshot here) on the map.

If I fast travel to Northwatch Keep - I'm stuck on the loading screen, the game doesn't freeze, it just keeps "loading" forever. Same thing if I fast travel to Lower Steepfall Burrow (right next to Northwatch Keep). If I walk into that zone by foot - the game crashes. So I'm kinda fuk'd - because there's an important quest over there -_-

I've verified the game files, tried with default .ini files and obviously zero mods and tweaks to no avail. I can never go there for some reason. Also tried 11.11 drivers, 11.11a and my current 11.11b ones. All the same.

How to fix? :-P
izihbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:05 PM   #10
DrAstorReinhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpg_trooper View Post
Same issue on my end. Most likely texture mods causing this, because the game continues working flawlessly right after I disable (rename) the whole folder of them.

Thing is, like the others, I've also an ATI card (HD 5750) so I wouldn't be so surprised if it's a graphics adapter related issue.
I wouldn't mind sucking it up and just going without mods, but they add so much to the enjoyment and it would be a waste to not be able to make full use of them.

I haven't tried the 4GB tweak though, giving it a run now to see how it goes.

EDIT: Oh, and it might be worth noting that at times in the game, textures and meshes go missing and some NPCs end up walking around with missing heads awhile indoor areas go completely invisible. What a sore.
Well your card is close to mine...we might have an issue with ATI then.

What I did was turn my graphics way down low, so much so it looked like I was playing it on my 5 year old laptop. Crashes are not a problem since then, but god is the game butt ugly.

And I know all to well about those god damn missing textures and meshes.

Bethesda needs to get on the ball and fix their issues with ATI cards. I mean I can run stuff like Fallout NV at mid, Fallout 3 mid or high and L4D2 high. This is bull that Skyrim is blowing up my PC.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:01 PM   #11
eagleFMJ

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAstorReinhard View Post
What I did was turn my graphics way down low, so much so it looked like I was playing it on my 5 year old laptop. Crashes are not a problem since then, but god is the game butt ugly.
Fast travel was crashing me too, graphics on low and it was fine, then went to medium and was fine, high and ultra no go. So I did some trial and error with ultra settings and found out that putting distant object detail on medium and everything else on high/ultra, my game seems fine now.

My last save is in a building in Whiterun and when I try to leave the game just hangs/stops responding, now I can leave and go outside with no problem. This crap was driving me nuts.

I have a Nvidia 570, and also many (30) mods installed, textures, post process injector, ini tweaks, 4GB patch etc and all seems fine now with lowering just that one setting.

edit: Been playing a few hours now and not one single crash =) I think I fixed mine for good now, hope this helps more of you.

eagle

Last edited by eagleFMJ: 11-29-2011 at 08:55 PM.
eagleFMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 04:50 AM   #12
rpg_trooper

Gave the 4GB tweak a whirl this morning. Surprisingly, the game crashed much less after the tweak - only once right before I turned in for the night. No texture errors thus far either.

Might be worth mentioning that I have the 11.11 drivers and all my settings are on their highest options, with the exception of shadows on high, no AA/FXAA and only 4x AF.

This game performs astoundingly well for such stunning visuals, I can't even go anywhere above Medium-High graphics settings for some older titles like Metro 2033. Hats off to Bethesda for this.
rpg_trooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:15 AM   #13
Dillanv

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpg_trooper View Post
This game performs astoundingly well for such stunning visuals, I can't even go anywhere above Medium-High graphics settings for some older titles like Metro 2033. Hats off to Bethesda for this.
That's not a good comparison...
Dillanv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:12 PM   #14
denixprince

Thumbs up possible solution

Hello,

I also had a lot of game crashes. When I traveling using map, changing zones, killing dragons... and the more I played the game the more often it crashed.

Tweaking Skyrim to 4gb RAM or changing sound quality to 44100 Hz didn't helped at all.

However, the perfect solution for me, was to simply SET THe TEXTUREs QULAITY FROM HIGH TO MIDDLE OR LOW. You can let all the other settings to max.

Since, I had not a single crash after hours of playing! Sure, the textures look a bit uglier than they already were, but it's a necessary sacrifice, If you want to play serenly.

Regards
Old 12-02-2011, 06:07 PM   #15
Lormax23

I was crashing ALL THE TIME. I also used the suggested mods from the Skyrim STEP. I'm using the 4gb tesv.exe fix. Crashes constantly...then, I had steam verify my files. Fixed everything.

Back up your 4gb exe before doing this, just in case.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V