Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 11-27-2011, 04:06 AM   #1
Zp1t

Red face Steam keeps re-downloading/updating my games or large parts of them for no reason!

I've seen other people with this problem as well, but it appears that nobody has found any real way of fixing it, aside from continually downloading several gigabytes of files every time you want to play, something which i cannot do because of my limited bandwith.

Things I've tried so far without success:
-Letting the game download. This works for a limited time, sometimes the game will work for a few days, sometimes only for one session, then Steam wants to download the whole thing again.
-Deleting/renaming the ClientRegistry.blob file
-Deleting all content from the Steam folder, except Steam.exe and the SteamApps folder.
-Editing the config.vdf file as described in This Post.
-Creating a backup of the game files, un-installing the game, then re-installing the game, using the backed up game files.
-Verifying file integrity for the affected games.

Games I have(and still am) experienced this problem with:
-Magicka
-Fallout New Vegas
-Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
-Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
-Poker Night at the Inventory

If anyone has experienced these issues, or have any tips or suggestions, let me know. I'm willing to try anything since I currently can't play any of my games

Last edited by Zp1t: 11-27-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:26 AM   #2
muckymucks

Looks like you've done some of the harder suggestions. The easiest and most effective thing you can do is validate your game cache. On your game library on Steam, right click on a game, go to Properties, click the Local Files tab, and click on Verify Integrity of Game Cache. That will make Steam check the game's files. If any are missing or corrupted it'll automatically download them again.

Also, in my case, I noticed that I left Steam on all the time. I'd put my laptop in sleep mode and would never turn off Steam. I noticed that when I turned off Steam and started it up again fresh it helped. My problem games were Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead 2. Since I've been doing what I've suggested to you it hasn't happened.

While you're at it check to see if you have the latest version of Steam. Open Steam and click on "Steam" on the upper left corner and click "Check for Steam Client Update". Also, if you have Windows go to Device Manager and see if you have the latest drivers for your video card and audio. Right click on them and click "Check for update".

I know the frustration. It isn't fun. Good luck.
muckymucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:04 AM   #3
Zp1t

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckymucks View Post
Looks like you've done some of the harder suggestions. The easiest and most effective thing you can do is validate your game cache. On your game library on Steam, right click on a game, go to Properties, click the Local Files tab, and click on Verify Integrity of Game Cache. That will make Steam check the game's files. If any are missing or corrupted it'll automatically download them again.

Also, in my case, I noticed that I left Steam on all the time. I'd put my laptop in sleep mode and would never turn off Steam. I noticed that when I turned off Steam and started it up again fresh it helped. My problem games were Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead 2. Since I've been doing what I've suggested to you it hasn't happened.

While you're at it check to see if you have the latest version of Steam. Open Steam and click on "Steam" on the upper left corner and click "Check for Steam Client Update". Also, if you have Windows go to Device Manager and see if you have the latest drivers for your video card and audio. Right click on them and click "Check for update".

I know the frustration. It isn't fun. Good luck.
Aye, I actually tried to verify the game files quite a few times already, just forgot to list it. And sadly, it had no success.
Both my audio and video drivers are up to date, as is my Steam version.

It has happend that I leave the computer running over-night, but its very rare, and I always exit Steam when I'm not using it.
Cheers for the reply.

All my Steam games has been working fine for over 2 months, this downloading issue has only started recently, and I can't think of anything I have done to my computer or Steam recently that would be the cause of it.
Zp1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:02 PM   #4
Burningfeetman

Exclamation

I'm also having the problem too, continuely with TF2. I play this game a LOT, non-stop ever since its beta, but recently when a small update is pushed out, Steam goes to download 4 gigs or more of data!

I've just read that Gary's Mod can cause this problem, so I've disable GMod from using any other game content.

But the last time I fixed this problem was deleted local TF2 content, then restored a backup from another PC which has TF2 up to date, and even that restore was broken and clumsy, taking 4 goes before it finally was successful.

Anyway, what's the quickest way to tell steam that;

"No, the update you're downloading is wrong. Stop it. Reset it. Check again, and download the right data! "
Burningfeetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #5
hdrisc

Steam shouldn't download any updates. You can do it yourself if you feel you need the update. Games don't need updating just because the updates are out there.
hdrisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:13 PM   #6
snapjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrisc View Post
Steam shouldn't download any updates. You can do it yourself if you feel you need the update. Games don't need updating just because the updates are out there.
You're using the wrong service if that's what you really want.

Steam's highest points include automatic updating.
snapjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:27 PM   #7
Burningfeetman

You guys don't fully understand our problem.

I'm using Team Fortress 2 as my example;

I play TF2 for a couple of hours, switch off my PC for a couple of days. I come back this morning to play TF2, to find that it needs to update before playing, which is fine. I then check the details of the update, there's a couple of smallish things getting patched, a bug here or there getting fixed. I then check the size of the update, and it's over 4 gigs!?

This has happened a few times now, specifically with Team Fortress 2 (although I have a heap of other games, TF2 is the only one to get any serious love outa me).

I need to figure out how to stop TF2 from downloading, clear what it's already started downloading, clear what ever the hell is telling it to download, and then set it on the right path to download the correct latest update, not 4 gigs of data!

FYI, game intergity and defrag are both perfect. Checking Windows Event Viewer shows no obvious problems either, with exception to Windows Defender, which seemed to be the only constant thing causing errors, but probably unrelated.
Old 12-09-2011, 04:35 PM   #8
Victorspain

Banned
When you tried my solution (http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...54&postcount=7) which you linked as (http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...95&postcount=3) which links me, did you make the file read-only?
It's the key of the trick.
Since I did that the problem stopped.
It reappeared recently because I don't know how but this file got back to non read-only. I repeated the fix and it keeps working to date.
Victorspain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:52 PM   #9
Burningfeetman

Hey Victorspain, you're exactly what the medic ordered mate. Followed the steps in your link, and this is exactly what I was looking for.

Also, regarding the problem itself, the ONLY odd thing I've done recently is log into Steam via a web browser at work yesterday. That's the only thing different that's happened between the last time TF2 worked, and now with TF2 wanting to download 4 gig of data.

The only thing I did on Steam on the web browser was check out a few sales, that's it. It also triggered Steam Guard.

Anywho, with TF2 game listing download 2% now cleared, I'm doing a file integ check on it, then will execute it. Fingers crossed.

EDIT:

http://i.imgur.com/x61p4.png

FFS! Damn it! Any more suggestions?

Last edited by Burningfeetman: 12-09-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #10
Victorspain

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burningfeetman View Post
Hey Victorspain, you're exactly what the medic ordered mate. Followed the steps in your link, and this is exactly what I was looking for.

Also, regarding the problem itself, the ONLY odd thing I've done recently is log into Steam via a web browser at work yesterday. That's the only thing different that's happened between the last time TF2 worked, and now with TF2 wanting to download 4 gig of data.

The only thing I did on Steam on the web browser was check out a few sales, that's it. It also triggered Steam Guard.

Anywho, with TF2 game listing download 2% now cleared, I'm doing a file integ check on it, then will execute it. Fingers crossed.
I don't know if it's going to work in your case. I needed to have downloaded the game fully, and then closed Steam and "apply the fix". If it began downloading (2% as you said), then it could be too late.

But in case it fails make sure you apply the fix again as soon as it finishes downloading.

EDIT: ninja'd. Anyway my 2nd paragraph is still valid. Make sure you do it when it's 100% downloaded. Otherwise it will just don't work. My "fix" works because it blocks future checks (real updates work fine though), but if it has already begin to re download it's too late.

Quote:
Hey Victorspain, you're exactly what the medic ordered mate.
Is that a joke with my nickname?

Last edited by Victorspain: 12-09-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:03 PM   #11
Burningfeetman

Unfortunately the proposed fix didn't work. Looks like I'll need to restore a backup from another machine again.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:05 PM   #12
Victorspain

Banned
Quote:
Unfortunately the proposed fix didn't work. Looks like I'll need to restore a backup from another machine again.

Read my edit. Hope it works.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:13 PM   #13
hdrisc

Ooooh, automatic updates, cause I can't do it myself.
I like and use Steam for the anti-piracy and the sales on games (although I rather have the CD/DVD in my hand). The updating, acheivements and other aspects aren't needed. For me anyways.
hdrisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #14
Burningfeetman

I've done my first attempt at a TF2 restore after deleting local content...

A picture says a thousand rage.

http://i.imgur.com/5A9Au.png

7 gigs of updates after a restore... what the heck.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:42 PM   #15
Zp1t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorspain View Post
When you tried my solution (http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...54&postcount=7) which you linked as (http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...95&postcount=3) which links me, did you make the file read-only?
It's the key of the trick.
Since I did that the problem stopped.
It reappeared recently because I don't know how but this file got back to non read-only. I repeated the fix and it keeps working to date.
I did indeed make the file read-only, but reading your other post in this thread, i might have done it while the game was still trying to download, don't remember exactly.
I tried that fix a few times, over a couple of days. And for a while now my games have been working without any problems, so it might have been that i did this after the game had re-downloaded fully again.
Zp1t is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips