Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 10:28 AM   #1
tadevil

Ban for using VPN for RUS game?

Hi,

I'm interested in buying mw3 but I'm not prepared to spend full price.

No I'm not buying from g2 however the game does need to be activated using a vpn since it is russian.

Will I get my account deactivated for this or anything?

I'd rather pay the extra cash if there's the chance of getting my account deactivated but if not I'd rather save money.

Thanks.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:42 AM   #2
kav2k

According to SSA, this can be interpreted as a breach of their agreement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSA
[...]

You are entitled to use the Software for your own use, but you are not entitled to: [...] emulate or redirect the communication protocols used by Valve in any network feature of the Software, through protocol emulation, tunneling, modifying or adding components to the Software, use of a utility program or any other techniques now known or hereafter developed, for any purpose including, but not limited to network play over the Internet, network play utilizing commercial or non-commercial gaming networks or as part of content aggregation networks, without the prior written consent of Valve [...]
Anyway: using VPN in this manner is frowned upon, and to play safe, you should not do it.

And another point: if you ever need to prove ownership of your account, they can request a photo of the cd-key on the original packaging. With the ticket number written on it. Which you probably cannot provide.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
Nekomancer

Yes, doing that can get your account permanently suspended. Don't buy games from unauthorized resellers.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
Gentle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadevil View Post
Hi,

I'm interested in buying mw3 but I'm not prepared to spend full price.
Wait for it to be on sale in your country.

Gentle
Old 11-28-2011, 09:54 AM   #5
Satoru

Note that you can run into many problems with these types of things

1) Needing to reauthenticate the games after an update (skyrim)
2) Updates breaking the game (Skyrim/BF3)
3) Your language not being available (MW3/BF3/Skyrim did not have English enabled at launch for Russian versions)

My feeling is that these headaches are the exact opposite reason why I use Steam, and are not worth saving a few extra bucks for.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:58 AM   #6
Stevontoast

I was in Help & Tips chat with BurtonJ a while ago talking about VPN.
Your account WILL get suspended for using it.
I can guarantee it.
It's against the SSA.

Don't do it, don't buy keys from unautherised retailers, learn your lesson and move on.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #7
bippukt

Yeah, bypassing region restrictions using illegitimate means is strict no-no. Don't do it is my advice.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:17 AM   #8
tadevil

So VPN aside if I didn't use VPN and the game was region free or for my country and I were to purchase a CD key from an unauthorised seller would that be okay? (g2 for instance)

If not, how would it be any different from lets say.. eBay?
Old 11-29-2011, 11:29 AM   #9
Washell

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadevil View Post
So VPN aside if I didn't use VPN and the game was region free or for my country and I were to purchase a CD key from an unauthorised seller would that be okay? (g2 for instance)

If not, how would it be any different from lets say.. eBay?
Steam strongly suggest not to buy games from eBay due to regional issues and their policy to not reset registration keys on second hand copies.

Unauthorized resellers get their keys in way that while it isn't illegal, it isn't supported by Steam and can get you in trouble if Steam demands a valid proof of ownership. Recently, some shadier resellers have taken to selling keys from lower priced regions and offering an VPN service to activate them.

Long story short, there is a demand for regional pricing in the gaming industry and any attempts to avoid Steams implementation of it is frowned upon. Valve reserves the right to terminate your account, even if you find a method they haven't explicitly banned.

Your choices are to locate a sale applicable to your region (all MW3 copies end up on Steam anyway), wait for a Steam sale, wait for the price to drop or move to Russia.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:40 AM   #10
tadevil

I think for now I'll wait for a sale then move to russia if possible in the future.

Thanks for the information everyone.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips